CD48114 - 1/48 A-37 Dragonfly

A-37 used by USAF TPS for spin training have been done but incorrectly. The upper right wing and I assume lower right wing had a black stripe painted along it with the USAF dropped out in white. This has been missed by Micro/Super scale. The stripe was used to help determine spin rate on film.

• 4 years later...

This one is getting close to being completed - it will most likely be part of the October or November batch of releases. I will also throw in markings for a couple T-37s for the brave souls who convert their Monogram kits.

• 4 weeks later...

@Kursad,

Any plans on making a T-37 Tweet sheet as well?  There are a plethora of options among the few basic training schemes of all natural metal, white & red, all white, and white & strata blue. I'm itching to build a 1/48 Tweet to go with my 1/48 366th Wg Collection. I just found a photo of a T-37 in Strata Blue & White with MO tails codes circa 1996.

@Vince Maddux, 

I take it then that the Monogram/Revell/Encore kit is better than the Trumpeter kit? 

K/r, Dutch

Would love to see some decals for 24 TASS from Howard AFB, Panama during the 1980s.  For a while, they were the only fixed wing aircraft participating in Operation Just Cause.  The only existing decals for these aircraft have a rather prominent error, where the fin flash is mirrored from one side to the other, so that the starboard side gets a backwards map of Panama.

Chris

57 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@Kursad,

Any plans on making a T-37 Tweet sheet as well?  There are a plethora of options among the few basic training schemes of all natural metal, white & red, all white, and white & strata blue. I'm itching to build a 1/48 Tweet to go with my 1/48 366th Wg Collection. I just found a photo of a T-37 in Strata Blue & White with MO tails codes circa 1996.

@Vince Maddux, 

I take it then that the Monogram/Revell/Encore kit is better than the Trumpeter kit? 

K/r, Dutch

A few years ago I would have said "no", but as my understanding of the market grew in the almost 10 years I have been doing this, I came to the realization that 90% of the modelers build for fun and do not strive for 100% accuracy. I am sure there are more than enough modelers in the world who would like to build a T-37 in 1/48, and would be content with a bare-bones conversion of the Monogram A-37 that would yield something that looks like a T-37. They would buy a quality T-37 sheet that would get them a better result.

So yes, we can do it. I would rather do this than the umpteen hundredth F-18 sheet in the market. It will probably be a limited-run Microscale printed (250 pcs) sheet. There is no time to do it in 2020 though, so it will be a future release for sometime in the next year or so. 

Edited by KursadA

I'm one of those who will be content with my own ham-handed conversion of the Monogram A-37 to a T-37, so definitely interested in decals!

I've seen a couple photos of Fairchild & Barksdale companion trainers in the blue/white from the 90s.

Dutch, can you share the MO Tweet photo you mentioned?

Chris

Edited by Gator52
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

@Kursad,

@Vince Maddux, 

K/r, Dutch

I have both kits. I think the main draw back is the raised panel lines on the Monogram kit,but on the other hand I like the raised rivets on it, to me it just fits the model.

Although I haven't built my Trumpeter kit ,I can tell a lot of the parts break down was inspired (copied?) from the Monogram kit. With the engraved panel lines , to me, it just looks too smooth, but that's just me. One major issue with the Trumpeter kit is the decals are wrong. its has an intake warning chevron that was never applied to the A-37. I've only seen it on a civil warbird.

Guys & Gals,

I am in the kitchen making a triple batch of Oatmeal Craisin white chocolate chip cookies.  Give me a break!  I am washing my hands three times for each batch that goes into the oven, bouncing back to the computer.... It ain't easy being me!

Okay, here is a lo-viz photo of the 366th Tweet.  Notice the ACC badge and 34th BS Thunderbird tail band, fitting as the bomber guys would be the ones using a side-by-side cockpit arrangement and the fighter guys would use the T-38 tandem cockpit  The 366th T-38 has the green & yellow "Gunfighters" tail band as noted in that thread.  Kursad, I can send a larger scan file.  This photo is from pg. 17, of the Spring/Summer 2005 Flightline magazine.

K/r, Dutch

004.JPG.9fbdcf7e617db641c3b3f097f12c333f.JPG

Edited by Dutch
18 minutes ago, Vince Maddux said:

I have both kits. I think the main draw back is the raised panel lines on the Monogram kit,but on the other hand I like the raised rivets on it, to me it just fits the model.

Although I haven't built my Trumpeter kit ,I can tell a lot of the parts break down was inspired (copied?) from the Monogram kit. With the engraved panel lines , to me, it just looks too smooth, but that's just me. One major issue with the Trumpeter kit is the decals are wrong. its has an intake warning chevron that was never applied to the A-37. I've only seen it on a civil warbird.

Vince, 

Besides deleting wing pylons, cutting off the wingtip tanks and scratching new wingtips, deleting the nose probe and dorsal pancake antenna, any other obvious mods to the Monogram A-37 Dragonfly to turn it into a T-37 Tweet? 

Conversely, would the Trumpeter kit be easier to modify?  For instance, which non-required parts are molded in place (i.e. dorsal antenna?) and which are separate (i.e. refueling probe?)  If the Trumpy kit does not have the dorsal antenna molded on, then it may be easier to convert.  Just asking since. I've never seen either kit.  I didn't know I needed one until this afternoon!

K/r, Dutch

16 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Vince, 

Besides deleting wing pylons, cutting off the wingtip tanks and scratching new wingtips, deleting the nose probe and dorsal pancake antenna, any other obvious mods to the Monogram A-37 Dragonfly to turn it into a T-37 Tweet? 

Conversely, would the Trumpeter kit be easier to modify?  For instance, which non-required parts are molded in place (i.e. dorsal antenna?) and which are separate (i.e. refueling probe?)  If the Trumpy kit does not have the dorsal antenna molded on, then it may be easier to convert.  Just asking since. I've never seen either kit.  I didn't know I needed one until this afternoon!

K/r, Dutch

Look over in the Jet section, I replied to your post there too

Yes, 22nd ARS badge alright. download.png.95cec190639375c76be18aace61af0e7.png150px-34_bomb_sq_patch.jpg.3759189e872fa2d57b71bfefc9bc652c.jpg

So, both the 22nd ARS and the 34th BS had Tweets.  But wait, it's the same jet, #418! Hmm, maybe a transfer, because it is very unlikely that it had the 34th BS Thunderbird tail band on stbd side and 22nd ARS Gunfighters tail band on the port side. It most likely transfered from the 34th BS to the 22nd ARS when they retired the B-52Gs from Castle ~1994 and transitioned to B-1Bs at Ellsworth, which would have flown the T-38 as a companion trainer. 

Kursad, If you did do this jet, would you include both tail bands and squadron patches? PS: Delete the "EXP" from the 22nd ARS banner.  It was not there at the time.

Edited by Dutch
Add detail.
2 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

So just a quick question. Will the A-37 sheet not have T-37 markings on it since you will be doing a dedicated T-37 sheet?   I have the Monogram A-37 kit on the bench undergoing the conversion to T-37 at this time.

Not sure yet - the T-37 has some intricate stencilling that would look much better if printed by Cartograf, so I might end up doing a combined T-37/A-37 sheet.