CD72055 - P2V Neptune

On 1/1/2017 at 4:32 PM, Corey said:

Another  Caracal release I'm super excited about!!!  A February release???

corey

I don't think I will get it in time for a February release, but certainly in the March batch if everything goes according to plan.

On 3/10/2016 at 7:16 PM, dekon70 said:

A P2V from NAS Quonset Point would be neat.

131409_SP-2E_NATU_1964-05-16_640.jpg

NATU!  Yeah!  I second Dekon70's suggestion.  I too agree that both a US & Foreign sheet should be done. I know that most foreign users were done by others, many are still available. Let's see: RCAF: CanMilAir, Cacuck Models, & Arrow Graphics; FAB: FCM; Netherlands MLD: Dutch Decal; RAF: FreightDog; RAAF: NovaScale & ?; USN, Microscale & Print Scale: fire bombers: Draw Decal. French & JMSDF decals came in the Hasegawa kit.  I think MAX Decals included a P2V-7LD of VXE-6 on their Antarctica sheet.  Notably absent: Portugal & Argentina, tho I think Southern Eagles did a CANA bird. Most notably absent are the drove of USN VP, VC (P2V-5) and specialized & test units, like NATU. My personal vote is for VP-92 of NAS South Weymouth. Once again, Kursad, you da man!

• 4 months later...

The long wait is almost over for this one - I am in the process of making some final corrections and adding a couple P2V-5 options for those of you planning to use the Falcon conversion. The first sheet basically ended up being a USN-only sheet, although I am open to doing a limited-run foreign users sheet in the future.

I actually decided that I just had to do a foreign users sheet - I will partition the artwork tonight around a common markings/stencils sheet and two separate, new sheets : one with US, and one with foreign operator markings.

<sigh> I started this project with the intention of doing one, simple USN Neptune sheet; but it is evolving into a large project with multiple sheets. Would you prefer to see one multi-sheet set with 10-12 options, or two simpler sets with 6-8 options each? Looking forward to hear your insights.

The sheet(s) will have several P2V-5 options, for those of you who wish to use the old Falcon or the newer Blackbird conversion sets. A couple of drone controllers will be there, too.

p1393688894-3.jpg

If you are doing P2V-5's and drone controllers too, I'd be happy with two sheets and more options, got a stack of Frog, Hasegawa and Revell Neptune's and only an RAF one built. Want to do an early USN, drone controller, RCAF (if u fancy doing a foreign sheet) and what ever else you can tempt us with.

Canuck and Freightdogs have covered the RCAF and RAF Neptunes well, and I think there are some decals out there for RAAF Neptunes, too. But for some reason; a good, comprehensive US Navy set has not been done. I still would like to do a foreign Neptunes  sheet, but the first sheet will probably by US Navy (plus Army SP-2E and Air Force RB-69) only. 

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

<sigh> I started this project with the intention of doing one, simple USN Neptune sheet; but it is evolving into a large project with multiple sheets. Would you prefer to see one multi-sheet set with 10-12 options, or two simpler sets with 6-8 options each? Looking forward to hear your insights.

The sheet(s) will have several P2V-5 options, for those of you who wish to use the old Falcon or the newer Blackbird conversion sets. A couple of drone controllers will be there, too.

For my own economics, I think 2 simpler sets would be better.  Not going to build more than one, so I'd rather spend less on a single 6-8 option sheet than a presumably more expensive single sheet with 10-12 options.

Again, just my economics.  Don't need a Neptune Uber-sheet

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, KursadA said:

Blackbird conversion sets??? For a P2V-5? Not to go off topic here but...anyone know where to find these? I checked their web site and they're listed as "out of stock"?? I see they have an OP-2E conversion listed as well...was I asleep at the wheel and miss these things completely?!

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Blackbird conversion sets??? For a P2V-5? Not to go off topic here but...anyone know where to find these? I checked their web site and they're listed as "out of stock"?? I see they have an OP-2E conversion listed as well...was I asleep at the wheel and miss these things completely?!

Yeah what he said :rolleyes:

Just to stick my fat nose back into your P-2 Neptune thread for a second, Kursad...

I've heard back from the folks at Blackbird Models regarding the P2V-5 and OP-2E conversion sets. Here is what they have to say:

Thanks for your e-mail. A quick update.

P2V-5/MR.1 this is at CMR and we are waiting for the first batch to be completed. We had an issue earlier in the year when Royal Mail lost the masters, but after 3 months we finally got them back. I spoke to CMR last week and they've had delays at their end with production. Not just for me but other companies too.

AP-2. We have the masters and they are going off this week for casting.

OP-2, Alan who does my masters is working on this one at present, along with a couple of 1/32nd scale bits too. So hopefully it won't be too long.

Hope that clears things up a bit

Thanks

Glenn

So...let's get some -5 and OP-2E deckles printed up!  :cheers:

Even if these conversions were not yet ready, I was going to do include -5 markings for those of us who still have the Falcon vac conversions somewhere. 

I am now inclined to release two separate; fairly comprehensive Neptune sets (8-10 options each) that will share a common stencilling sheet. Each of these will have some -5 options .

I have the Falcon conversion but I think I can wait for the Blackbird release. The Falcon vac has been on my shelf since the late 80s or early 90s so it is not as if I am in a rush to build it.

On June 26, 2017 at 3:27 PM, KursadA said:

I am now inclined to release two separate; fairly comprehensive Neptune sets (8-10 options each) that will share a common stencilling sheet. Each of these will have some -5 options .

Like!

Edited by Sabre Freak
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CD72055 is the first of the two Neptune sheets coming in the next batch, and will have 8 options. There is a second sheet (not shown) with wing markings.

Both Neptune sheets will share a common stencilling and general markings sheet, shown at the right.

cd72055draft.jpg  cd72055b_draft.jpg

Edited by KursadA