Why did it take so long to bring her back?

They are vulnerable, particularly to MANPADs

Glad to see they are finally starting to think! The Bronco would be a great choice for the type mission they are talking about.

Meh, Its just acknowledgement that BRRRRTT can't get the job done.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Meh, Its just acknowledgement that BRRRRTT can't get the job done.

At this point neither can an F-35. But seriously, manpads aren't everywhere. The Syrian military and the, erhm, coalition sends out rotary wing aircraft to strike ISIS as well.

At this point neither can an F-35. But seriously, manpads aren't everywhere. The Syrian military and the, erhm, coalition sends out rotary wing aircraft to strike ISIS as well.

I will admit the F-35 will win the war against radical islam as well as the A-10 as well as th3 OV-10. No more no less.

Here's a question what if instead of replacing A-10s with the controversial F-35, we replace it with the OV-10? Let the debate begin

As for manpads, You asked why it wasn't done sooner, and I answered why.

Keep trying to "re solve" the same tactical problem over and over again and we wonder why things aren't improving. What if i told you what wins this war is barely tactical?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

MANPADS are very common throughout Syria. U-tube has dozens of videos of helos and fast jets being shot down. Coalition is very cautious about using helos, typically only at night for special ops raid or CSAR missions. Bronco is just another example of a platform optimized to fight the last war.

Bronco's are back baby! And no these are not the "Combat Dragon" aircraft from 2013.

Article 1

Article 2

OV-10G Combat Dragon

Alright Kittyhawk, now it's time to get off yer fool and make that OV-10 in 1/48!!!! I'm sick of seeing old Paragon sets for sale at an outrageous $125 price!

Quite sure they actually ARE the Combat Dragon aircraft. They passed through Rota (Spain) eastbound sometime last year.

MANPADS are very common throughout Syria. U-tube has dozens of videos of helos and fast jets being shot down. Coalition is very cautious about using helos, typically only at night for special ops raid or CSAR missions. Bronco is just another example of a platform optimized to fight the last war.

We would have never won Vietnam without the ov-10 though. Give credit where it is due

We would have never won Vietnam without the ov-10 though. Give credit where it is due

blink.gifare you saying you're Vietnamese and that the viet-kongs use the ov-10 Broncos to beat away USA from you country???...i really wasn't aware of that!!!monketdance4.gifw00t.gif

Use was restricted by USAF in 1972 due to high losses from SAMs. Use was restricted by Marines during Desert Storm due to high losses from SAMs.

I'm sure things will work out better this time.

Go Broncos!

Never thought I'd ever be saying that phrase.......

I have an idea. We man the new OV-10 Broncos with members of the Denver Broncos... why didn't you think of that before egg heads?

I will admit the F-35 will win the war against radical islam as well as the A-10 as well as th3 OV-10. No more no less.

I'm betting on way, way less. We will have to dig straight to China to find the bar when this happens. We will probably find pieces of the F-35 when we get there, so hooray for spares!

Keep trying to "re solve" the same tactical problem over and over again and we wonder why things aren't improving. What if i told you what wins this war is barely tactical?

Maybe we should think strategic. Are there any B-36s we can make airworthy again?

Edited by Exhausted

Quite sure they actually ARE the Combat Dragon aircraft. They passed through Rota (Spain) eastbound sometime last year.

Do you have a source for that? I'm only asking because all the Combat Dragon aircraft were de-milled and returned to NASA. This would kinda be going around in circles if so.

Maybe we should think strategic. Are there any B-36s we can make airworthy again?

We have one here in Nebraska.....just give us a couple of years and several million dollars and it should be good to go......

We have one here in Nebraska.....just give us a couple of years and several million dollars and it should be good to go......

B-36 carries more bombs and has longer loitering time than the B-1. Since we don't need to get close and know what we're shooting at anymore, 82,000 lbs is a whole lotta 2,000 pounders to use in close proximity to those we are trying to protect

....or the F-16, or the F-15E, or the B-1......

But none of those are the master of CAS the A-10 is. Duh.

I thought the A-10 was perfect for these conflicts being the greatest CAS platform ever made

We aren't backing off the hype train?

Use was restricted by USAF in 1972 due to high losses from SAMs. Use was restricted by Marines during Desert Storm due to high losses from SAMs.

I'm sure things will work out better this time.

Of course they will just listen to the folks here. This aircraft will not win in a slightly less expensive manner than something else would. And that's grand! It's as exciting and innovative as the browning knob on a toaster, but the choice is scorched and inedible vs black and inedible.

Hey here's a side question. How come vietnam was only "clearly unwinnable" to everyone only in retrospect?