The articles I've seen say that these aircraft were operated by RCU-1, but I can't find anything substantial about that unit. Even what the RCU stands for. Reconnaissance Composite Unit?

Deke

Not really sure what it means either. Been doing some digging and the only thing that even comes close to something in that field would probably Requisition Control Unit maybe?

RCU-1.jpg

The Prowlers Broncos painted on the icon have me leaning to reconnaissance, but the lack of a fixed-wing (V) designator has me scratching my head.

Edited by Exhausted

Pretty sure RCU stands for Requisition Control Unit in U.S. Navy parlance. I haven't looked it up and I am going from pure memory so I am not 100% sure as to what all of their duties are but pulling together materials/spares/parts for systems and testing them is one.

• 1 month later...

It turns out that those Bronco's are aerial snipers.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3519/those-old-ov-10-broncos-sent-to-fight-isis-were-laser-rocket-slinging-manhunters

The guy that wrote this article sounds vaguely familiar.

Sounds pretty cool but I'm not clear on why you need at nearly 50-year old platform for this job. Seems like there are many aircraft (manned and unmanned) that could mount the latest and greatest FLIR and a couple of pods of 70mm rockets.

Use was restricted by USAF in 1972 due to high losses from SAMs. Use was restricted by Marines during Desert Storm due to high losses from SAMs.

I'm sure things will work out better this time.

Go Broncos!

Never thought I'd ever be saying that phrase.......

Interesting when it's best chance of catching a SAM was north of the 17th Parallel. Chances of a SAM hit on the trail were probable next to zero as it didn't have the range to stay there long enough to get shredded. The answer of course was radar guided 37mm and 57mm cannon; assuming it could get there. On the otherhand the AC130 could, the AC123 could (and often did). The OV-1 made daily flights up the trail.

In reality the airframe that was truly needed was the one we want to get rid of the most. The A10 Thunderbolt II. Of course working closely with an OV-1.

gary