Since we don't need to get close and know what we're shooting at anymore,

We don't need to get close to know what we are shooting at. Must be what you mean. I'm communicating with you from hundreds of miles away, yet we are not even in the same room. Well (according to him at least) my friend shot an elk from hundreds of yards away with the

Do satellites in orbit need to see the target in order to guide the weapon that hits the target? Of course they do! Because Bro Science

962f5b512aeb1ea3066082d00f15ba26.jpg

B-36 carries more bombs and has longer loitering time than the B-1.

Cool so with the right gear even it could in on the CAS game just like the BONE!

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

blink.gifare you saying you're Vietnamese and that the viet-kongs use the ov-10 Broncos to beat away USA from you country???...i really wasn't aware of that!!!monketdance4.gifw00t.gif

Just so you are aware the democratoc government the US left in south vietnam is doing great, just like the government In iraq. Come on bro. Do you even history?

We fought a whole war in Southeast asia, the punic war -- maybe you've heard of it?

There are 3 things that will defeat ISIS. Ground forces. Commitment. And loads of money. Right now we are only doing one of those 3 things.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

But none of those are the master of CAS the A-10 is. Duh.

I thought the A-10 was perfect for these conflicts being the greatest CAS platform ever made

We aren't backing off the hype train?

But according to the Air Force, all of these other platforms can easily replace the A-10, be it more expensively, but none the less.......

I would guess that we could do a better job if certain Puzzle Palace officials weren't still channeling their inner "President Johnson"

My link

Do you have a source for that? I'm only asking because all the Combat Dragon aircraft were de-milled and returned to NASA. This would kinda be going around in circles if so.

Don't think they ever were transfered to NASA, or maybe after they returned from the deployment to the middle east?. Here are some pics from Rota:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/North-American-Rockwell/2653291/L/&sid=c68af478ec468bae3fd9429c3c939ccc

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/North-American-Rockwell/2651703/L/&sid=c68af478ec468bae3fd9429c3c939ccc

They were seen at Palma de Mallorca the day after (to indicate they were eastbound).

155481. AV-10G Bronco. US Marines. PMI.

155492. AV-10G Bronco. US Navy. PMI.

EDIT: forgot to add, they were noted at Rota again on October 20th westbound.

Edited by Koen L

be it more expensively, but none the less.......

That's very relative considering that so far the US has spent 2 TRILLION dollars in Iraq. an A-10 is $4,000 less CPFH than an F-16, so you can see the difference there. If this is about money, I have an overnight solution that will save you some serious dough.

I would guess that we could do a better job if certain Puzzle Palace officials weren't still channeling their inner "President Johnson"

My link

Nothing new under the sun. the ROE sucks. Its going to make a fine scape goat. That is important. However it just reinforces my point that its not a firepower/platform issue. Its never been firepower.

I wish people got their panties in a ruffle as much about the ROE as they did the A-10 retirement. "ask any soldier and Marine here and they will tell you they are frustrated and other f-words about the ROEs" (ROEs that are set by... who?) That would be a lot more valuable. But now the A-10 is saved and we can all go back and make posters like this:

A10-ISIS.jpg

But the AK is winning, and it doesn't even need to shoot at an A-10 to do it. Lots of the "ISIS is gonna crap itself when the A-10 shows up!!" Yeah that probably makes a lot of sense if your from the West. These guys don't quite have the same mentality in case you haven't noticed. its just to give us warm fuzzies, that we are going to bomb them back to the stone age before we realize they want to go back to the stone age.

Mind=blown that instead of discussing the importance of ROEs we just wasted all this on saving the A-10.

Troops have been saying for nearly a decade now that the ROE and EOF is a disaster and I'm not even talking about air power, it's as simple as being able to use am M-16 on a threat. Forget BRRRT can I just defend myself?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

RIght now, we're just throwing money at the problem.

As opposed to thousands of 19-year old kids? That approach didn't work very well either. Since the current approach is actually showing some progress, maybe stay the course just a wee bit longer?

Edited by 11bee

The Bronco is a very cost effective platform for this sort of war and if they need something faster...there is always the Mighty Tweet.

The :worship: Mighty Tweet :worship: doesn't move. It stays in place, and the universe revolves around it.

Regards,

Murph

That's very relative considering that so far the US has spent 2 TRILLION dollars in Iraq. an A-10 is $4,000 less CPFH than an F-16, so you can see the difference there. If this is about money, I have an overnight solution that will save you some serious dough.

Nothing new under the sun. the ROE sucks. Its going to make a fine scape goat. That is important. However it just reinforces my point that its not a firepower/platform issue. Its never been firepower.

I wish people got their panties in a ruffle as much about the ROE as they did the A-10 retirement. "ask any soldier and Marine here and they will tell you they are frustrated and other f-words about the ROEs" (ROEs that are set by... who?) That would be a lot more valuable. But now the A-10 is saved and we can all go back and make posters like this:

A10-ISIS.jpg

But the AK is winning, and it doesn't even need to shoot at an A-10 to do it. Lots of the "ISIS is gonna crap itself when the A-10 shows up!!" Yeah that probably makes a lot of sense if your from the West. These guys don't quite have the same mentality in case you haven't noticed. its just to give us warm fuzzies, that we are going to bomb them back to the stone age before we realize they want to go back to the stone age.

Mind=blown that instead of discussing the importance of ROEs we just wasted all this on saving the A-10.

Troops have been saying for nearly a decade now that the ROE and EOF is a disaster and I'm not even talking about air power, it's as simple as being able to use am M-16 on a threat. Forget BRRRT can I just defend myself?

I was there and actively involved. The ROE can be frustrating at times, but it is also there for very good reason. This isn't like any air campaign we have ever done, so the ROE has to be strict because it is difficult to identify ISIS targets from civilians, militias, and Iraqi security forces. Against a positively identified ISIS target with good information on the location of friendly forces I never had an issue getting support, but it isn't as clear as having JTACs on the ground calling for CAS.

In Iraq and Syria we aren't in the fight on the ground (not like we were in OIF), and in Iraq we are fighting in support of a sovereign nation. The Iraqi military has to approve every strike, and we have to be 100% certain of the target. I am sure that frustrates pilots, it frustrated me at times but there are many factors that the pilots wouldn't be aware of. I would rather let an target go that I was 99% certain was ISIS than put bombs into an Iraqi army unit, or a militia that is also driving around in a Toyota Hilux with a machine gun in the bed.

As far as the OV-10, I was in a briefing from the aviators that operated it in 2013. It is a cool platform, bringing capability like attack aviation with some additions. It can do CAS, but can also do CCA which is something most fixed wing doesn't do.

Edited by nspreitler

Bronco's are back baby! And no these are not the "Combat Dragon" aircraft from 2013.

Article 1

Article 2

OV-10G Combat Dragon

Alright Kittyhawk, now it's time to get off yer fool and make that OV-10 in 1/48!!!! I'm sick of seeing old Paragon sets for sale at an outrageous $125 price!

Just as an added piece of info, there are indications that there's been some refitted/updated OV-1 Mohawks in covert use in the Middle East also, and not just recently.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

A10-ISIS.jpg

We don't need to get close to know what we are shooting at. Must be what you mean. I'm communicating with you from hundreds of miles away, yet we are not even in the same room. Well (according to him at least) my friend shot an elk from hundreds of yards away with the

Do satellites in orbit need to see the target in order to guide the weapon that hits the target? Of course they do! Because Bro Science

962f5b512aeb1ea3066082d00f15ba26.jpg

Cool so with the right gear even it could in on the CAS game just like the BONE!

There is so much here.... it's. just. scattered. everywhere. I'm sensing some good topics for Info Wars.

Besides, what the Bone does isn't special -- it's just a damn weapons truck with a really expensive loiter time. For the money of just one B-1 mission we could probably requisition everything in the Commemorative Air Force, strap lasers on them, and fire JDAMS and Hellfires until our hearts are content.

Hell, I would even consider recruiting Peter Jackson's help with some of his vintage WWI birds after this inspiration.

01.jpg

It looks like the Air Force (temporarily) solved some of its F-35 budget issues by selling 300 A-10s to ISIS. ISIS is a good customer because they are willing to pay for these old worthless junkpiles that nobody could use to hurt anybody. Ha!

http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/01/u-s-air-force-sells-a-10s-to-isis/

Edited by Exhausted
Maybe we should think strategic. Are there any B-36s we can make airworthy again?

There are 4 left. RB-36H at Castle AFB Museum; B-36J at SAC Museum, B-36J at Pima Air Museum and B-36J at USAF Museum, Ohio. The couldn't make the RB-36 airworthy in 1993 when they moved it from Chanute AFB, IL to Castle due to severe corrosion of the magnesium spars and other critical structures. I doubt that 23 more years of continuing corrosion has helped the situation any.

Just as an added piece of info, there are indications that there's been some refitted/updated OV-1 Mohawks in covert use in the Middle East also, and not just recently.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

Didn't think there were any OV-1's kicking around these days. Any references you can share? Not sure what advantage an OV-1 has compared to an OV-10 (or for that matter an A-29).

It makes sense to me to have a light attack capability for low threat environments, especially something that can operate off a short field with minimal logistical support. The Iraqis use Cessna Caravans in an attack role, and they do a pretty good job.

IAF-AC-208-Cessna-Caravan.jpg