Academy 1/48th Spitfire FR MkXIVe

I just finished my F-105D...kind of...for the Vietnam War GB. I still have to finish up another project before I start this one but here are the obligatory shots; box art, parts and decals. I picked up this kit at CapCon 2009, I think. Good job this GB was proposed in order to get it built, finally. I just wish it wasn't the FR version with the cut down spine. I think the Mk XIV's are the best looking Spitfires of the family. A friend flew both the Merlin and Griffon engined Spitfires and he said the Griffon was the hands down winner.

Anyhoo...

Box%20Art_zpsfbthomtk.jpg

Parts_zpsip5ayioz.jpg

Decals_zpsdwchrpk7.jpg

More when progress in underway.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Just don't use the Academy decals. And if you don't want the PR version version, a little bit of putty and paint over the camera openings will fix that. No other differences from what I've been told. Some shape issues but I can live with them.

I've built that kit OOB and didn't have too much trouble with the decals. I've always liked Academy's plastic though - very easy to work with.

Early issue of the kit: bad decals. Later release of the kit: better decals. Those look like early decals.

Thanks guys. I've ordered a set of Red Roo decals from Ultracast. Unfortunately the sheet only comes with fuselage codes, serial numbers and roundels.

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/Red_Roo/Decals/48-Scale/RR-D48020/default.htm

If that's the case, I may have to use hammer and tongs to get kit walkway lines and other stencils onto her. Maybe a bath in Solvaset will do the trick?!

Haven't started yet (just finishing up latest Sabre project) and then will probably start the Spit early next week.

Mike

I have finished my last project, a Luftwaffe Sabre, and now it's time to start this Spitfire build.

I started with the prop assembly. The reason for doing so is that the spinner is black so I'll spray the blades, spinner and back plate as a whole assembly. I'll spray the tips of the blades light grey and then spray the yellow. Once that dries, I'll mask the tips and spray everything black. There are five individual blades. Academy has placed a small tab on each blade and a hole in the recess for each blade in the back plate ensuring consistent alignment.

Prop%20Blade_zpsogt4fshh.jpg

Prop%20Parts_zpslesasiyh.jpg

Assembling%20Prop_zpsbliixs4k.jpg

Assembled%20Prop_zpsk7hyn5cu.jpg

I've also started assembling the cockpit area. Here's the seat support frame built up and the armour. The armour will be glued to the support and then the seat to the support.

Seat%20Mount_zpsqisku1i5.jpg

Seat%20Armour_zps68hxoasm.jpg

That's it for now and until next week. Younger brother is coming home from the East Coast and we're celebrating his 50th birthday tomorrow.

As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always in order.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Nice start Mike :thumbsup: . Many times I will start with props, drop tanks, wheels etc just to get into the build and start eliminating sprues. I don't have this kit but its always been on my "to get" list. I look forward to watching your build progress.

:cheers:

Don.

Thanks Don.

Prop tips have been sprayed MM light grey and interior bits have been sprayed MM RAF interior green. There was a nasty seam running down the middle of the canopy. I scraped it down with the back of a #11 blade and have sanded off the remnants progressing to a 12000 grit sanding pad followed by a dip in Future. I've also applied the EZ Masks to the front part of the windshield. Just waiting for the Future to dry before applying the masks over the bubble canopy. I have a few photos but they need to be downloaded to the computer so I'll add them in the next post. The decals have arrived and confirmed that it's roundels and fuselage codes only.

Mike

As promised, some photos of my progress.

Seat frame and pilot armour assembled. It has been painted but not photographed with said paint.

Seat%20Armour%20Assembled_zpss4dzd8ee.jpg

Control%20Linkage_zpshox5doq6.jpg

Wingtip options and Red Roo Decals

Wingtip%20Options_zpsl63sizk0.jpg

Red%20Roo%20Decals_zpsgpvgntz8.jpg

Canopy seam and after clean up and dipping in Future

Canopy%20Seam_zpsp09kaolv.jpg

Canopy%20No%20Seam_zpsbnnutdnq.jpg

Seat painted with MM rust enamel. References say that there is no real consistent colour for the Bakelite seats so this is good enough for me.

Seat_zpsbulknmw7.jpg

More photos in next post.

Mike

EZ Masks for the windscreen and canopy

EZ%20Masks%20%202_zps3tp1fwsb.jpg

EZ%20Masks%201_zpsumkxgdfy.jpg

Windscreen_zpsqeze1vvs.jpg

Prop tips sprayed MM light grey and then insignia yellow. I then used 6mm Tamiya tape to mask the tips. I placed the tape widthwise on the top of the blade and folded it over onto itself for a nice, straight line with even coverage on both sides of the blade.

Prop%20Tips%20Yellow_zpseu5oxtdp.jpg

Prop%20Blades%20Taped_zpstsikyvx8.jpg

The IP has been sprayed and all I have to do is drybrush some white onto the panel for effect.

IP%20Rough_zps1awuqpom.jpg

With the snow and freezing rain coming down right now, I might get a bit done on this build today.

Thanks for looking in and as usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Thanks Martin. Making progress. :thumbsup:/>

Here's the prop and spinner completed.

Finished%20Prop_zps7p6fh5ph.jpg

The IP drybrushed and a dab of Future in each instrument face. Won't see much when all closed up though.

IP%201_zpscwiyrjhw.jpg

Cockpit%204_zps0xf8jnkq.jpg

Construction is quite good. Virtually no seams to speak of.

No%20Seams%201_zpsxv9chxhs.jpg

The cowl bulges for the Griffon engine have to be glued on separately. A notch in the part that corresponds to the exhaust opening ensures a fool proof fit. They glue on very nicely without any seams.

Cowl%20Bulge%201_zpsr0xbrfii.jpg

Cowl%20Bulge%203_zpsgeqmg3sr.jpg

Finally, the windscreen has been glued on as have the wings. It's starting to look like a Spitfire!

Windscreen%202_zpsubxrrddd.jpg

Intake_zpsrou60zeh.jpg

I'll start painting tomorrow or Monday. As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks for checking in and Happy Easter!

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Very nice. Your instrument panel looks the business too as does the color of your seat (I agree on the color variation...I have seen and read anything from dark brown to reddish brown and anything in between). Looking good :thumbsup:!

:cheers:

Don.

EDIT: Happy Easter to you as well.

Edited by Don

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

The upper and lower greys have been sprayed. I finished masking for the dark green a little while ago. I'll spray that in the morning and by tomorrow evening I hope to have a couple of coats of gloss applied so I can start adding the stickies on Wednesday, as The Boss refers to the decals.

I'll post a photo or two after I get the camo finalized.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Camo is done. Model Master Enamels.

Done%20Camo%201_zpsb27fuxqg.jpg

Done%20Camo%202_zps5ui7pgma.jpg

Done%20Camo%203_zps834efrbu.jpg

Done%20Camo%204_zpsp4pmfsmn.jpg

Done%20Camo%205_zpsdmxyhqqm.jpg

Done%20Camo%206_zpskn2nfae7.jpg

I hope to get two coats of gloss on this afternoon and this evening so I can start decals tomorrow afternoon.

Mike

nick,

It's pouring rain today. I have a couple of errands to run for The Boss but once I get finished with those, it'll be decal time. I got two coats of gloss sprayed yesterday afternoon after meeting with the Deputy Chief to get my retirement badge. It's starting to sink in that that chapter of my life is closed and a new one is just beginning. More time for models, golf, guitar, dog walking, etc.

I'll post a couple of snaps after I get the decals done.

Mike

The finish line is in sight. Decals have been added and Solvaset is curing.

I used a combination of kit decals and the Red Roo decals. Kit decals for stencils and walkways and Red Roof for roundel and fin flashes. Kit decals weren't TOO bad but not the greatest. I cut the wing walk decals into two sections; the long part across the front of the wing and the shorter part for the width of the wing. Trying to get it into place in one piece would have been a nightmare.

In this shot, you can see that I've left the EZ Masks on the fuselage camera windows, Notes on the instruction sheet state that 453 Sqn RAAF Spitfire Mk XIVe's were strictly fighters and had the areas of the camera openings covered with doped fabric and then painted. You can notice the mask under the "F".

Decal%20-%20fuselage_zpsn9efirae.jpg

The others...

Decal%20-%20underwing_zpswkih5v4u.jpg

Decal%20-%20fin%20flash_zpsbjq2cjvz.jpg

Decal%20-%20wing%20walk_zpsrikt5ex9.jpg

Decal%20-%20wing_zps3t23pid8.jpg

I'll let the Solvaset cure until tomorrow or Saturday. I have a few errands to run tomorrow and then my former Staff Sergeant has organized a retirement party tomorrow afternoon/ evening. It could get ugly.

Getting my retirement badge (it's under the flap beside the I/D card) from my friend and Deputy Chief Ed Keeley yesterday morning.

Badge%20from%20DC%20Keeley_zpseftsqf8u.jpg

After 31 1/2 years, it really is over.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Finished her not long ago. Looks like a Mk XIVe to me.

Done%20-%20left%201_zpstlkpdppj.jpg

Done%20-%20right_zpsgw1lc4bp.jpg

Done%20-%20bottom_zpsbfs9p1yt.jpg

Done%20-%20top_zps4nwi0u8g.jpg

To the moderators and those who took the time to have a look and offer comments and encouragement, thanks kindly. Now it's off to my Sabre build in the Far Out, Far East GB!

Mike