Plastic models for aviation art reference

I'm thinking of composing more digital aircraft art out of photos of plastic models. I like highly unusual angles that would be nearly impossible to capture in real life photography. Screenshots of LOMAC or the box art of Jane's ATF and WWII Fighters, and Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator are good examples. I can't use flight sims as a base since I don't have a gaming rig anymore, however, and I'm still using a 2009 Macbook with CS4 and a couple other free or cheap painting software. I've downloaded numerous SketchUp models of aircraft but find the detail and accuracy lacking. I don't know how to use real 3D rendering software at all, so I'm out of luck there.

One workaround is to build model kits strictly to photograph them and digitally color and compose them in interesting situations. I'd render the paint scheme, markings, lighting, and effects in photoshop. Paint the model white before photographing it, with only ink wash in the panels and rivets, so I could make multiple "instances" of the same plane but with different markings, while retaining all the line and rivet detail even from different angles. I could switch out weapons configurations by pinning the parts and not gluing them. Etc etc. Also gives me an excuse to build something really fast for pure fun, not getting bogged down by details and painting.

Just throwing out the idea, especially for anyone that does 2D art in addition to 3D, plastic modeling, and trick photography. I'll give it a go sometime. Stay tuned!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...