Eduard hands down

Yeah, it's not even close. Eduard makes an awesome kit, only issue is with the Bis nose and if you can't live with the kit's, there is a nice resin correction set kicking around out there.

Revell's is from the early 1970s. Academy's is from the early 1990s. Eduard's is from 2011.

There is simply no contest. Eduard have (the MiG-21bis excepted) the entire 2nd and 3rd generation MiG-21 nailed completely.

Revell's is from the early 1970s. Academy's is from the early 1990s. Eduard's is from 2011.

There is simply no contest. Eduard have (the MiG-21bis excepted) the entire 2nd and 3rd generation MiG-21 nailed completely.

Oh yeah, there was an epic thread on that bis-nose!

That aside, Eduard kit s a jewel and fun to build.

I am having a ball building the Trumpeter Mig 21F-13 kit. Bought the Eduard pe cockpit fret and brassin wheels though

But you know that both are for complete different versions? F-13 wheels are smaller, wheel wells accordingly. And using an instrument panel from - let's say - PF? On the other hand, there is not too much to destroy on this kit.

If you like it, build it OOB, don't waste extra money. Just my 2 €ct

Hi Flankerman. To my eye, shape wise it's great. The cockpit fret from Eduard looks exactly the same as photos of real thing in Hungary. www.repulomuzeum.hu

I don't know how to add a link on this forum.

Edited by mike_espo

Yeah, it's not even close. Eduard makes an awesome kit, only issue is with the Bis nose and if you can't live with the kit's, there is a nice resin correction set kicking around out there.

I had never built a Mig-21 before but I am working on the Eduard Bis at the moment, and I got the Cold War Studios Resin Nose replacement. Its really nice and fits extremely well. I would recommend it too anyone.

Is there a "good" bis in 1/48 out there? Or any conversion kits to make X into one?

Out of the box, the Eduard Bis is a really, really nice kit. The nose "issue" is simply a slight problem with the profile. IMO, you have to be a MiG experten to even notice it. If it bothers you that much, the above mentioned resin set will solve the problem. If not, just get the Eduard Bis and you will be pleased.

Is there a "good" bis in 1/48 out there? Or any conversion kits to make X into one?

Eduard's kit is 'good'.

The MF vs. bis discussion a few years ago was very long - and agonizing - because the differences are relatively subtle. We're not talking about, say, a bis vs. F-15; it doesn't need a conversion, it's just a subtle shape difference that Eduard skipped because they didn't feel it was worth the cost of tooling replacement parts. The lip on the bis is shorter, and the nose has a steeper curve. It is objectively different, but it took several hundred posts worth of arguing (on, like, four different discussion boards) to come to that conclusion.

Rather than re-hash everything though, just look at the two photos in THIS POST. If you can't see a difference between the two noses, or the difference isn't enough to bother you, then just build the Eduard bis as-is. If you can see a difference, and that difference is significant enough to bother you, then you can buy the resin nose in the first post of that thread (or just go here), and it's a simple one-cut fix.

Out of the box, the Eduard Bis is a really, really nice kit. The nose "issue" is simply a slight problem with the profile. IMO, you have to be a MiG experten to even notice it. If it bothers you that much, the above mentioned resin set will solve the problem. If not, just get the Eduard Bis and you will be pleased.

100% agreed. Good advice here.