Su-33 Kinetic, 1/48, wip

Hello there,

here are some progress pictures of the Kinetic Su-33 kit.

I've tried to fit the Aires cockpit inside, because I wasn't satisifed with the instrument panel, with its position to be exact - it is far to deep inside the pit.

It's not something that bothered me that much - but since I had aires cockpit I decided to use it. But oh man, a far far more work was required than I anticipated. But when I made the cut - there was no turning back.

Would I do it again? Hell NO, loud and clear.

Here are picutures and tnx for watching!

1_Su_33.jpg

2_Su_33.jpg

3_Su_33.jpg

4_Su_33.jpg

5_Su_33.jpg

6_Su_33.jpg

Cheers!

I'm considering doing the exact same thing, great seeing how you went about it :D

Ithink it looks astonishingly good and well worth the extra hours of work so I might go with it when its time. The Aires pit is absolutely gorgeous!

Hi there,

Ive noticed that the rear part of the Kinetic kit is a bit wrong. The Su-33 has different area behind the seat, mostly due to the different ejections system that in Su-27.

That said, the bulge (in the red circle) is further away from the seat than in Su-27, and it has different shape. The Kinetic did quite OK with the distance form the seat, but the shape is of the Su-27, not Su-33.

One more thing - Su-33 does not have those circles like Su-27 does. The whole part is different.

I made a mistake because I was starting from the wrong presuption - that Su-27 and Su-33 are the same in this area, but they aren't. So everything I did in this areas is correct - for Su-27 :wacko:/>/> So, I've decided to change it, mostly because I've spent a lot of time on cockpit itself so I can't just overlook those new conclusions.

Here are the pictures:

007jpg_0.jpg

33a_zpsxgybfjmxa.jpg

SU_33_on_the_deck_of_Admiral_Kuznetsov_03.jpg

8_Su_33.jpg

20160315_174845.jpg

20160315_175946.jpg

Edited by skuki

Great work Skuki - it's looking great.

Can I point out one small detail often missed in the larger scale models of Flankers......

All of the single seaters have a corded bit of rope-like connection between the top of the seat head box and the rear of the canopy frame - a bit like a bungee chord.

I understand that this arms the seat firing mechanism as the canopy is jettisoned.

You can just make out the connector in your first photo - just above the demister tube.

You can see it better in this photo of me in a Su-27.... in the top left hand corner.

su-27 ejection chord_01.jpg

Fitting it is a nightmare - trying to connect it with the canopy in the way - but as you are going into such detail, I thought it ought to be included.

Happy Flankering.

Ken

Thanks all! I will be posting new pic soon.

Hi Ken, tnx for the tip, I really didn't know that and it seems that this detail is quite noticable, so I'll include the bungee cord when I get to that phase.

Cheers!

The area behind the cockpit has little to do with the ejection seat. It is a simple construction principle change from the days when the "stamped-in" circular “reinforcements” were added to this area in comparison to todays (or when the Su-33 were made) practice where a simple flat panel was/is used on which the canopy locks are situated. It is not only on the Su-33 that you will find this but also on new produced versions, for instance the Su-35 fighters.

The Su-27 ejection seat rail support was very different from that of the Su-33 or even the new fighters. In the old days they had a big box like structure to which the rails were attached at the front end. At the back there were two small frame supports "holding" the box like structure. None of the kits reproduce this correctly! Not even the Aires cockpit which gives it as a very flat rectagle in cross section. On the Su-33 the box structure was deleted and only a slim frame was used to hold the seat rails. Two supports were added in the back which due to the smaller size frame are far longer and more noticable. This is what you see on the above photos.

I believe in case of the Su-35 the rail is different for the very simple reason that the incline of the seat is different for better high G comfort of the pilot.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

I can't remember if you have already explained the 'bungee' cord ??

If so, I have forgotten - can you confirm that it is part of the seat arming mechanism ???

Cheers

Ken

PS - Are you visiting Russia this year ?? Last chance to see Monino ??

Gabor,

I can't remember if you have already explained the 'bungee' cord ??

If so, I have forgotten - can you confirm that it is part of the seat arming mechanism ???

Cheers

Ken

PS - Are you visiting Russia this year ?? Last chance to see Monino ??

Hi Ken,

Yes I did explain about the cord earlier. I have a look where it is and copy it here.

Moscow/Russia is a NO GO area now! There is absolutely no chance of a visit to Russia, the political relations deteriorated so much!!! :( :( :(

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

tnx for explanation. I've noticed that the rails are compleetly diferent, so I've decided to change it. However, I am missing close pictuires of the rails, so if anyone can share I would be grateful

Hi Ken,

The K-36 DM is (was) not designed to eject through the canopy which is 9mm thick plexi glass. Only some of the new versions of the seat have the ability to brake canopy and go through the canopy depending on the type of aircraft it is fitted to.

The seat in Su-27 and most of the sub types is the earlier design so it will fire only after the canopy is jettisoned. The safety line you see attached to the right hand side of the headrest (and the canopy at the other end) is the one which arms the seat. Here on the Su-27/33 the line links directly to the canopy behind it. If I remember right on the MiG-29 the line goes all the way to the other side and here it is hidden under a textile (earlier artificial leather) cover.

The arming line is never reproduced on kits just as the Remove Before Flight safety pin line and warning notice. They are always fitted to live seats in aircraft prepared for flight or on static! Of course this is true of ALL ejection seats no matter if in a Western or Eastern type of aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this is of help.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Vladimir,

Yes, this is the line (the white "thing") which extracts a pin and arms the ejection seat when the canopy is jettisoned. I only have photos of it as on the K-36DM used in MiG-29's.

Of the Su-27 I only had black and white photos from a detailed "look around" :woot.gif: that I took on a visit to Kusovskaja base (down in South of Russia) back in 1993. Simply run out of colour negative by the time we got around the Su-27 cockpit and in the other camera had Kodakchrome 64 slide which was useless in the low light in the late evening. While it is useless by todays standard the B/W came in handy for making my master of the Su-27 cockpit in 72nd.

The Nazar photo also nicesely shows the "plain" area behind the seat!

Best regards

Gabor