My entry is a Trumpeter J-7. The first thing I noticed when the kit arrived in the mail is how small the box is, but it is packed. There are 230 parts on individually packaged sprues. Looking at the instructions a lot of the parts won't be used since there are several options for the missiles. The instructions are lacking information on the colors, there are few references to Humbrol paint for the wheel wells and a few other parts but nothing on the cockpit color. I did research and opted for a gray interior using Model Master Neutral Gray. I plan on doing the Pakistani options because I like the camouflage scheme.

20160313_223004.jpg

20160313_221408.jpg

Making progress. Figuring out the colors has been fun, the instructions call for some Humbrol colors on some parts but looking at reference photos the instructions are wrong. I opted for dark gray (Model Master RLM 66) for the wheel wells, and a light gray for the cockpit. The engine has some parts in green that really won't be seen. The instrument panel decal settles over the detail with some Microsol then I went over it with Vallejo flat. I'll give the dials some gloss clear to bring them out. The seat has been interesting, the Pakistani F-7s use a Martin Baker seat. The kit one is close, and I'll add some tape belts give it some detail. I thought about getting a resin seat, but I can live with the kit part. Still lots of work to do in the cockpit.

20160317_214123.jpg

20160317_214133.jpg

20160317_214137.jpg

Closing the fuselage today, the fit of everything is really good. The only other Trumpeter kit I've built is the MiG-3. I don't know much about the plane to speak about accuracy but I really like the kit. It has a nicel detailed avionics compartment, but I am closing it up so I just painted it black (per the instructions).

20160319_155523.jpg

20160319_155539.jpg

I've been thinking of adding this one to my collection as well. I love the Chinese Fishbeds, but mainly because I think they are a special brand of ugly. Yours, however, is looking fantastic!

Forgive me if I'm acting like a backseat driver but:

Having done a Fishbed or two in my day, I would recommend painting the nosecone and the intake before closing the fuselage. Also, the chromate behind the seat could use another coat.

I've been thinking of adding this one to my collection as well. I love the Chinese Fishbeds, but mainly because I think they are a special brand of ugly. Yours, however, is looking fantastic!

Forgive me if I'm acting like a backseat driver but:

Having done a Fishbed or two in my day, I would recommend painting the nosecone and the intake before closing the fuselage. Also, the chromate behind the seat could use another coat.

Thanks, I did end up painting the nosecone before closing it up. With the area behind the seat it turns out none of it is visible once assembled so I didn't do anything else to it.

I figured out the canopy, I just had to push the HUD in a little bit and surprisingly did it without breaking anything. It still looks right and the canopy fits perfectly. I have a couple spots that I touched up with Mr Surfacer that I need to sand, but those are pretty minor. My evenings this week will be working on the missiles which is a research challenge to see which ones the Pakistani planes carry. I hope to have it in paint this weekend.

The Polish MiG-29 I have been working on calls for those colors as well. btw looking good. Any problem areas?

I had to adjust the HUD to get the canopy to fit. The exhaust is going to be difficult to paint, in hindsight I would have left off much of the tail and attached it after painting. Overall it is has been really good, even with a lot of pieces to fit to the fuselage. I used some Mr Surfacer in a few spots to fill so seams but that has been it.

I redid the paint to match my references, I've looked and can't find an F-7 in the scheme depicted in the Trumpeter instructions. They all seem to have a very similar scheme with dark gay on the wings and the vey tip of the tail and light gray everywhere else. I also tried painting the light gray neutral gray and didn't like it so I went with Model Master Aircraft Gray which seems closer to the right shade. For the dark gray I ended up using Model Master RLM 75, that still seems too dark but I will tone it down.

20160327_232247.jpg

Since the real aircraft is located in a very sunny place, you may choose to break up the solid blocks of grey with spots of lighter shades

Looking real good though

Got the F-7 on its legs, and played around with the paint. The dark gray looked too dark so I used it as a base and went over it with Dark Ghost Gray. I also went over the light gray with just the same color tinted just slightly darker to add some variation, but it doesn't show up well in the picture.

20160402_213009.jpg

This is what I'm going for

PAF-fighter-jet-F7-PG.jpg

That looks fantastic. You did well breaking up the monotony of the greys. Just noticed the fuel tanks are 2 tone as well.

Edited by Exhausted