A couple questions about Desert Storm Tornadoes.

Have a couple of quick questions as I'm thinking I'd like to do one of these.

1) Were the Tornadoes in Desert Storm the GR.1 type? Where there any GR.4s?

2) If I were to purchase the 1/48 Revell IDS Tornado, can I make it a GR.1? If so, what would I need to change/add/delete/etc to make a GR.1?

Thanks very much!

Rob

Edited by galileo1

No GR4's in Desert Storm they didn't arrive in service until the mid 90's. The RAF sent GR1, GR1A and F3. Also in theatre were IDS from Italy and IDS/ADV from Saudi Arabia.

You would be better off getting the revel GR4 kit and deleting the applicable GR4 equipment to make a GR1. The GR4 also comes with more appropriate RAF weapons pylons than the IDS version. This I the way that I am going to go when I get around to making an Op Granby Tornado GR1.

For those of us that are ignorant of the Tornado variants, can a GR.1 be built from either of the two Revell releases? What is needed either way?

OK, the response above was posted at the same time as mine......what are the specific GR.4 parts that need to be removed to make a GR.1?

Edited by Dave Roof

You would be better off getting the revel GR4 kit and deleting the applicable GR4 equipment to make a GR1. The GR4 also comes with more appropriate RAF weapons pylons than the IDS version. This I the way that I am going to go when I get around to making an Op Granby Tornado GR1.

Glad you posted this. Just purchased the IDS version but, after seeing your reply, I called and exchanged the kit for the GR.4. Much appreciated.

Rob

And let me add that KitsWorld decals for DS Tonkas are superb - lots of options. The general rule I believe is the sharkmouth Tornadoes were at Tabuk and used primarily laser guided bombs, while the Buharrak birds flew the 'bomb-truck' strikes, but that is a generalization built on $0.02

I recall a recent discussion that said Lifecolor had a perfect match paint, or you could try the old Model Master 'Wood' and add a touch of red - as always check your references.

And let me add that KitsWorld decals for DS Tonkas are superb - lots of options. The general rule I believe is the sharkmouth Tornadoes were at Tabuk and used primarily laser guided bombs, while the Buharrak birds flew the 'bomb-truck' strikes, but that is a generalization built on $0.02

I recall a recent discussion that said Lifecolor had a perfect match paint, or you could try the old Model Master 'Wood' and add a touch of red - as always check your references.

The few TIALD pods available at the time where at Tabuk (I think there where only 2 pods?). Whereas there where 12 Buccaneer's at Muharraq with Pave Spike pods. Dhahran based planes did drop smart bombs as well, they'd just have to rendezvous with a plane that could designate for them.