CD144004 - C-135 Family General Purpose Markings

KursadA,

I know you are probably planning on releasing other 1/144 KC-135 series sheets in the future. Will this Generic Data sheet be included in future releases as well? Just curious. Doesn't mean I won't buy 10-12 generic sheets, I just may not need the data sheet if I buy the future releases for the unit markings. Aw, heck, what am I saying? I'll probably buy them anyway.

R/ Dutch

I'm not sure yet - I designed the sheet to be a standalone, general purpose KC/EC-135 sheet. I may choose to include it in a future set in lieu of adding common markings on the sheet. Even I don't plan that much ahead.

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...

I am wrapping up the design for this sheet within the next couple of days. I was able to squeeze most of what you have been asking for: windshield markings, variety of stencils, tail bands, badges etc. But not all - there are too many command badges for the individual units that flew KC-135s under the SAC umbrella, and the black walkways for the wings are essentially just black stripes that could be sourced from elsewhere. But I think you will like the resuilt.

I noticed that one of the items you asked for was windshield outlines in red - I have never seen these on any photo, but I am willing to add them to the sheet if there is a need for them. The sheet already has two black and two silver windshield markings. Where were the red windshield outlines used??

Kursad.  I had seen some outlines around some of the windshield panes which was probably sealer.   These were on some of the RC's but now that I'm trying to find examples, I can't seem to locate any pics.   With that said, I'd drop them since you may be filling up the sheet with other needed items.

Edited by Drifterdon

Kursad,

These links show what appear to be red outlines around some of the window pane's.  May just be poor or old photos.   Still say to punt on red outlines but thought interesting.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-135/images/rc-135-5.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/RC-135S_COBRA_BALL.jpg

http://www.beanerbanner.org/bb/BB 2/RC135b.jpg

1 hour ago, Spruemeister said:

Pretty much all the EC and RC types in ADC gray have red outlines on the windows.  I think its just paint.  Looking at the current 135R tankers, the outline is now black.

Rick L.

Thanks for the sanity check Rick.   I thought I'd seen red outlines.  

And my wife is gonna hate me cause I'm planning on buying at least a dozen of these sheets!   Great job Kursad.

Don

Edited by Drifterdon
1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

And my wife is gonna hate me cause I'm planning on buying at least a dozen of these sheets!   Great job Kursad.

Don

Same here.  Your wife and mine can start the Anti-Caracal Decal Club. 

The red window outlines were also used for doors and cockpit windows on the Shamu color scheme. Nice sheet!  Love the red USAF for RC-135S.  No numbers included? Will have to stock up on 24" USAF numbers in 1/144 scale. R/ Dutch

Kursad,

I am not sure what the lt gray / silver cockpit windows are for (upper right on decal sheet).  When I said red outlines to the cockpit windows, I meant outlines ala KC-135Q 59-1470 in the Shamu scheme to go along with the entry / exit doors.  Notice that the "middle"cockpit window on each side does not appear to have the red outline; perhaps because it is the one that opens? Maybe a KC-135 maintainer can comment. The sheet looks awesome. As I said earlier, I will buy several. I just have to find black and white numerals in USAF Amarillo font for nose / tail mkgs.

R/Dutch

Use of silver cockpit windows seem to be common in airline modeling and I wanted to provide the option. There are no red cockpit window outlines on this sheet, quite honestly they would be very difficult to see in this scale. It would be trivial to add them

There will be some black numbers to go with the first sheet, not  white, though. It would be impossible to make a be-all, end-all sheet for all C-135 variants and keep it at this size; some markings will need to sourced from other sheets. I will make this sheet a limited run (300 copies), and reprint as necessary if/when I decide to do that comprehensive C-135 family sheet that will go with this.

I think the red window outlines are noticeable in small scales, but I can't see a practical way of making them as a decal.  A red fine line Sharpie might be the best tool for this technique. It will be interesting to see what people come up with. 

Rick L. 

Edited by Spruemeister

Kursad, You have a point about the red outlines.  And thank you for adding generic black tail numbers.  I will have to source elsewhere the small white last four under the cockpit. But I really like this sheet.  You've included more than I originally thought and it appears that at least three birds can be made, if not four.  

Rick, I like your suggestion and will use it on my Shamu bird.  Thanks.

I'm up to 35 1/144 KC-135 kits.  Can't wait for November and then the follow on sheet(s).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...