• 3 weeks later...

Started on the Pe-2. The kit includes the option of one exposed engine. I typically build engines closed up, but since the engine is also visible through the wheel well I opted to go ahead and build this one and I'm glad I did. The engine is a kit by itself, 45 parts in one inline engine. The engineering is fantastic, it is as good as I have seen from anyone including Tamiya. Even the smallest of parts has alignment pins or attaching points, which makes construction very nice.

20160402_213622.jpg

20160402_230852.jpg

20160402_230904.jpg

20160402_230918.jpg

I'm glad you have found the time to start this. I have always loved the sleek sexy lines Pe-2.

As far as the kit is concerned,.435 parts is not for the faint of heart but at least it seems to be a well engineered kit.

There is another 1/48 Pe-2 build going on in the "In Progress" forum and the only negative thing that member mentions is the number of ejector pin marks.

I have most everything I need to build either the Italeri//Zvezda 1/72 scale Pe-2 or the slightly under 1/72 scale Zlinek Pe-3. I might send away for some Akan paint for the main exterior colors though.

Anyway, thanks for posting, looking forward to your next installment.

Jim S

Thanks, it is moving along slowly. I have more of the interior done, and will be working on it more this weekend. I'm going to try Mr. Paint for the finish. I tried it out on a test kit and it sprays beautifully. With the photoetch I am figuring out what to use or not, it has some nice additions but for some of it the kit plastic looks like a better option, for example on the side consoles the photoetch has the knobs and levers but the plastic pieces look more realistic in my opinion.

I finally finished most of the left interior, still about an equal amount of work to do on the right side, plus the bomb bay before it gets closed up. The interior detail is great, and the Eduard set add to it, I do plan on hitting the photoetch with some flat coat to tone down the glossy look.

20160430_235821.jpg

20160430_235810.jpg

20160430_235800.jpg

20160430_235832.jpg

The work on the Pe-2 interior is continuing slowly. Once the interior is done it should move quickly since I already have the wings and engine done. I'm looking forward to trying the Mr. Paint I bought for this build since my tests with it have produced very nice results.

Finished up the interior, are there is actually more that can go in the rear fuselage but I left out some of them that can't possibly be seen. The photos didn't come out great but I already closed up the fuselage so I can't get more.

20160508_173003.jpg

20160508_173011.jpg

20160508_172956.jpg

20160508_173032.jpg

Edited by nspreitler

Looks suitabily busy in there! I like that you used really bright versions of the colors. That will make elements more visible once everything gets buttoned up.

Based on your pics, this looks like a pretty big plane. I always thought it was only about mosquito sized.

Looks suitabily busy in there! I like that you used really bright versions of the colors. That will make elements more visible once everything gets buttoned up.

Based on your pics, this looks like a pretty big plane. I always thought it was only about mosquito sized.

Thanks, it is only about Mosquito sized, just with a busy and I imagine cramped crew compartment.

The brighter colors are all Vallejo Model Color, and it does help seeing some of I with the fuselage closed.

• 3 months later...