What's the effect on the airplane in that situation? Did they even notice the cable or is it like they missed it altogether? Gotta be nerve wracking in something like an E-2. How fast do the engines come up to power?

Hope all are well.

What's the effect on the airplane in that situation? Did they even notice the cable or is it like they missed it altogether? Gotta be nerve wracking in something like an E-2. How fast do the engines come up to power?

Hope all are well.

I'm pretty sure they bring the engines up to full power once the wheels hit the deck in case they do miss the wire.

Hope all are well.

From what I read it was indeed an E-2C. It also noted that the sailors are all stable with non-life-threatening injuries. They were very lucky...

I'm pretty sure they bring the engines up to full power once the wheels hit the deck in case they do miss the wire.

Yeah I know but how fast do turboprops come up? Jet engines you obviously go to afterburner and boom instant thrust but props have a little bit of lag no?

I'm pretty sure they bring the engines up to full power once the wheels hit the deck in case they do miss the wire

Not in the E-2. You hold what you have until you don't slow down. If you bring the power up like a jet as the plane traps p-factor will walk the plane over to the left deck edge when you have reduced rudder effectiveness (as you slow down) and no nose wheel steering. Spool up time is 1-2 seconds and the prop will actually increase pitch as the power lever is brought forward leading the engine so going around is usually not an issue.

My guess is it parted pretty early. A late parting is one of those "you're fooked" areas in an E-2 or COD.

Edited by Spongebob
  • 3 months later...

Video of the incident has come out. Wow.... That has to be one of the hairiest near-crashes I've ever seen. They had to be dragging their landing gear through the water on this one.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4346/this-has-to-be-one-of-the-most-terrifying-carrier-landing-videos-ever

As much as it sucked for the flight crew, can you imagine what it was like for those poor guys in back? Only escape for three crewmembers in full gear is through a small overhead hatch. All the while, you've got a massive aircraft carrier passing a few feet away from you at 25 knots. Yikes.

Sounds like the cause of the incident was improper maint on the arrestor gear.

Also had a pic of a cranial that took a hit from the arrestor cable. Looks like it save the sailor's life.

http://imgur.com/Qcltk43

Tough gig, flying and working on a carrier.

CSB

Oh god tyler rogoaway. So that's where he landed. I started clicking around and found this gem:

It's about the media going straight for sensationalism and spinning stories out of thin air to push an agenda, or just to get clicks. In doing so, the media only hurts the possibility of having a real debate

This is the guy who said the F-35 couldn't refuel from trucks based on the color of the fuel bowser.

I always thought he had some self awareness. Apparently not.

I was in the Ronald Reagan shortly after they had their cable snap on their first work-up cruise. One sailor jumped the cable twice, another lost a leg. I think 12 were injured in total.

The video link provided I believe has the Reagan incident of which you speak below the E-2C one. Yes, jedi like reflexes to jump that cable twice, although I imagine it can make quite a noise or put a vibration in the deck to make the yellow shirt's "spidey sense" go off like that.

As for the crew that got struck, thank goodness for no fatalities. Although the one guy who ended up with a broken pelvis will probably end up with a medical discharge after all is said and done. Major ouch!

Not necessarily. The object is to get the injured back on duty, not shove them out the door. And a broken pelvis is recoverable from.

If he's smart though, he'll have lots of complications associated with the injury and have Uncle Sam float him a good sized check each month for the rest of his life. :)