Lufthansa Boeing 747-8

Hi everyone!

Here's my first model in a few years. I bought this kit in the spring of last year after discovering a great hobby store in the Denver area (something that I never had in my hometown of Philly), and after deciding that I needed something to occupy my time. Progress was good at first:

IMAG1152.jpg

...and then I left it this way for about 8 months as work got super-busy, I started going to school for my master's, and friends, family, and vacations entered the picture. Finally, at the start of the new year, the guilt of seeing it sitting forlornly on my desk for so long got to me, so I ginned up some motivation and finished it off. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and I can think of 20 things I wish I'd done better, but I guess it does look okay on my shelf.

I tried a few new things with this model. I bought a set of Micro-Mesh sheets, which really helped the finish. I could have gotten a much better finish if I'd gone over it with them after each painting and clear-coating step, though. Oh well - something to keep in mind for next time. Also, I made my first attempt at resin casting with this model. The nose wheels in the kit are too small (the 747 uses the same size wheels and tires all around), so I made two copies of the main wheels - amazingly, the whole process worked on the first try! The only non-OOB parts of this model were those nose wheels and the replacement I made for one of the four microscopic pitot tubes that I lost to the carpet monster.

On to the photos (apologies for the lousy cell-phone photos):

IMG_20160318_182645.jpg

IMG_20160314_011526.jpg

IMG_20160318_182926.jpg

IMG_20160318_182835.jpg

IMG_20160318_182859.jpg

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Nicely done Nick. Betting that great hobby store was Colpar! I love that place and try to make it up there every few months.

Yep, that's the place! Have to pace myself - I can't seem to walk out of there without buying something...

Yep, that's the place! Have to pace myself - I can't seem to walk out of there without buying something...

Or under a hundred for me. My wife hates going with me. I can spend an hour going through their decal stash alone! Can't wait to see your next build.

• 4 months later...