I'm wanting to do a 1/48 A-10 build, and have been doing some research online about the various kits out there. From what I've seen opinions are pretty much split down the middle between HB and Monogram being the best. The main gripe I've seen about the Monogram kit is that the speed brakes can only be posed open. I don't know much about A-10s, so is that really that big of a problem? I do prefer engraved panel lines in general, so I'm leaning a little HB at the moment. On the other hand, I have a nice Black Box cockpit set for the Monogram Kit. Anyway, I'd love to see what you guys think about this.

Thanks and happy modeling.

Well, to be fair, I have seen the Mono 'Hog built with the brakes closed; they are a clamshell design, and so you'd just have to clip the middles.

I will say that if you really detest raised lines you might not like the Mono 'Hog, although I must say the (raised) riveting is really nicely done, considering.

The Monogram A-10 is the way to go if you want shape accuracy. However please be advised even with the Black Box cockpit you can only do a relatively early A-10 as the cockpit air conditioning ducts were moved from the side of teh cockpit wall to under the instrument panel. The Hobby Boss kit is easier to assemble. But the Hobby boss kit has some of teh DNA of teh 32nd scle kit and teh nose area proportions on that kit are way bad. But The HB kit corrected most of those problem areas, but siome still exist I've been told.

If you can get teh Shaun Hill A-10 update set that will help you a bunch.

.... But the Hobby boss kit has some of teh DNA of teh 32nd scle kit and teh nose area proportions on that kit are way bad. But The HB kit corrected most of those problem areas, but siome still exist I've been told.

Like you say, the Hobby Boss kit is a scaled down version of the Trumpeter 1/32nd kit. I had not heard about Hobby Boss correcting those nose shape issues. I do not have the kit so I cannot comment on the changes if they were done. There is also a problem with the ground fuelling point on the port pylon. The Hobby Boss kit has it as a vertical panel when the nose cone is open when it should be angled back. Update sets exist to correct this.

I do have the Trumpeter 2 seater kit as I love that version. Then the Hobby Boss 2 seater came out so I should have waited since I normally build 1/48.

As others have said, I think the Monogram kit is the way to go if you desire accuracy in shape. The rear end has many raised rivets just like the real aircraft so probably better in that respect than the Hobby Boss kit which I believe has recessed rivets (not 100% sure though). I have two Monogram kits in my stash and I have even built the Tamiya kit which took some work to bring it up to production standard.

Maybe I should look for a Hobby Boss kit if I can get it cheap. Or not :)

I should have said I have heard that HB had fixed a lot of the nose shape erros. I do not actually own a HB kit, but looking at some builds it does look like some work was done.

My alternative view is that while the Monogram may have the better shape, but it is a beast to build, with steps and gaps. Mine has been on my workbench for 15 years and I finally have it ready to paint. In the process I lost a lot of detail. Fitting the Black Box cockpit into the Monogram kit is no small task either. I recommend Hobby Boss or even Italeri for an easier build. I know the Black Box cockpit will fit in the Italeri kit.

My alternative view is that while the Monogram may have the better shape, but it is a beast to build, with steps and gaps. Mine has been on my workbench for 15 years and I finally have it ready to paint. In the process I lost a lot of detail. Fitting the Black Box cockpit into the Monogram kit is no small task either. I recommend Hobby Boss or even Italeri for an easier build. I know the Black Box cockpit will fit in the Italeri kit.

Good to know, I guess I'll be getting a HB Hawg to put my Shull A-10 update set on!

I prefer Hobby Boss, easier to do and recessed panel lines. I just don't have the time nor the passion to scribe kits anymore and I just do it when it is necessary after excessive sanding.

Shape errors are no that critical as with other HB kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll build the Monogram kit, and then do a HB. I also just got the Master PE cannon which really looks good.

Does anyone have the instructions for the Black Box set? I lost mine somehow.

Thanks again and happy modeling!

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the verdict on the Italeri kit versus the HB and Monogram?

Gen eK

I've had all three. Personally, I'd rank Italeri 3rd, I didn't like the detail given. 2nd Monogram, it looks good, but personally the raised detail is work I don't want to put time into So, I give 1st to Hobbyboss for relative accuracy, and ease of build.

Here are a couple of my Hobbyboss builds.

IMG_2807_zps6016b0eb.jpg

IMG_2476_zpse38cfe36.jpg

Edited by Benner

I'm a Monogram fan, as others have said above it has a very good shape. I too prefer scribed panel lines over raised but that and a few tweaks are easily done. Here is a build of the Monogram from probably ten years ago. Raised panel lines were removed and replaced with scribed. I left as much of the raised rivet detail as I could in prototypical areas. The fit of the kit was a bit of a challenge, shimming, trimming and filling was often required! The only after market part used was a resin seat, much easier than detailing the kit piece. The kit represents an early A-10, the additions and modifications to circa 2005 fitment done with various bits of styrene. With just a little bit of work the venerable Monogram kit can be built into a fairly accurate looking model.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

DSCN4104.jpg

DSCN4158.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler