1/48 F-4EJ Kai Phantom II

Hello guys,

Second GB for 2016, another Phantom to build. Kit from Hasegawa doesn't need much elaborate much I suppose.

Something different from the normal grey Phantoms from the Japanese, sister colors with the Mitsubishi F-2.

Here it goes then...

The box art

P1010340.jpg

The office with some copper wires just replicate those cables to make it look busy, no accuracy though.

P1010342.jpg

Overall view of the office

P1010343.jpg

Just 'Sun' the decals earlier to get rid of the yellowing and it looks good so far.

OK so much for now..more updates soon. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It has been a frustrating couple of weeks on this build.

What has been done since the last update, the darker blue came on.. the decals were breaking up on the first application.

My bad not to really test it prior to applying. :bandhead2:

Apply some old liquid decal film on the sheet, it wasn't working all that perfect but salvageable.

Process of a zillion decals started and being so fragile, it's really taking some time.

Crossroad stop :doh:

While painting missed up one section.

P1010420.jpg

Measured, taped and painted but it was slightly outside the boundary line so, taped again and Mr.Masking Sol R on it.

Once all dried, will apply a coat of future on the wings and back to the decals. ;)

I have this same kit, and was going to build it for this GB, but I don't want to repeat your work. I have not build a 1/48th Hasegawa phantom before. Are there any pitfalls to watch for?

I have this same kit, and was going to build it for this GB, but I don't want to repeat your work. I have not build a 1/48th Hasegawa phantom before. Are there any pitfalls to watch for?

Hasegawa 1/48 Phantoms are quite straight forward to build. The fit is pretty good generally.

I normally glue the nose section on their respective halves then getting both the fuselage together.

Wing section, don't glue the mid root section as it may produce a gap when joining the upper fuselage .. also proper alignment to the get the aft end flushed.

Apart from that, it's pretty straight forward actually.

The problem with this particular kit as I found out, it's the decals ..large comprehensive sheet with even extra stencil decals that need not be use is included.

Manufactured if not mistaken in 2002, I would suggest some microscale liquid decal film coat over it as it can be a bit brittle. Surprisingly decals are quite thin for Hasegawa standards.

As I'm going through the decal stage, stencils do come in a large combined section so lots of water to make them easily moved around.

Once in place, I would trim those unmarked decal film just avoid silvering. Couple of passes with microsol later on should make it look good.

Here's 2 shots I've taken to show how the decals come about.

This was placed about 3 weeks back, I had used Mr.Mark setter about 2 passes then microsol about another 2-3 passes and layered with future.

P1010437.jpg

and this was done about 2 days back, 2-3 passes of microsol alone.

Noticed the silvering around it.

P1010438.jpg

personal comparison, Mr.Mark setter has more bite compared to microsol on hasegawa decals.

Combination of both? Well..seems to be working in a way. :lol:

Looks like they went down alright. Maybe a bit of silvering on some of the wing stencils?

I looked at the decals that came with my kit, and the clear sections have a slightly yellowish tint to them. I'll bleach them in the sun, but I may just go aftermarket

Hasegawa decals react well with Mr. Mark softer. Microset and sol is too mild. Of course you can combine, I do it also, first i try the Mircosol and next the Softer (when it seams the decals does not react good enough to hte M.sol).

Older Hasegawa decals I always give a coat of Micro liquid decals film, that prevents cracking. But for the millions of japanese stencils you have no AM choice, and the Hase decals are printed good enough.

RKic,

Bleach in the sun ought to do it .. that's what I did prior to the star of putting on the decals.

tobiK,

Absolutely correct on that Mr.Mark Softer ..not Mr.Mark Setter (Typo), it will probably wrinkle up a bit but will soon adhere to the surface you had applied on.

Yeah ..It's Micro liquid decals application for any of those older Hasegawa decals from now on and Japanese stencils, the only route is via what's in the box.

I do agree they are pretty good especially if you're build either a RF/F-4EJ or F-15J/DJ for the matter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just realised that I had not update like months on this build.

It took really some effort to get the decals on with massive silvering all over the place, just couldn't update often as I was way to engrossed to make it look presentable at the end of it.

Well, after all the effort.. I called it DONE!

P1010633.jpg

I will have more shots of it in the completed section.