F4U-5 Armored Windscreen?

One would think that in looking at ALL of my Corsair reference books that I would have a clear answer on how to model the armored windscreen on my 1/48 Hasegawa F4U-5N, right?! I'm coming up goose eggs! From what I can interpret, it looks like the windscreen is itself bullet-proof and does not have the separate armored piece that's found on the earlier Corsairs. I'm deducting this from photos showing a slight tint on the windscreen. Also, on the -5, the photos that I have show the windscreen framing looks a little thicker on the inside which could easily be beefed-up with some styrene. Am I correct? Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,

Kent Tomlinson

Hi Kent,

The bullet resistant glass was integrated into the windscreen assembly. As I recall, the bullet resistant glass was 1 1/2" thick. Here's an image from navypilot overseas website that shows how the glass was built into the windscreen. The side shatter proof glass panels are broken out.

3986625514_bc96211f65_o.jpg?w=700&h=

Here's the link to more images of the same aircraft Click for more F4U-5N

Don

Hi Kent,

The bullet resistant glass was integrated into the windscreen assembly. As I recall, the bullet resistant glass was 1 1/2" thick. Here's an image from navypilot overseas website that shows how the glass was built into the windscreen. The side shatter proof glass panels are broken out.

3986625514_bc96211f65_o.jpg?w=700&h=

Here's the link to more images of the same aircraft Click for more F4U-5N

Don

Don,

Thanks for helping clear this up for me.

Cheers,

Kent