AKAN acrylics paint, staying tacky

So i bought some AKAN paints, as MM discontinued 36251 for the Mod Eagle scheme. I have used it twice now. Once thinning a little with Tamiya's X-20A and the second time thinning a little with water. Both times it sprayed on great and covered well. However, both time the paint has stayed a bit tacky. It is as if it is not dry, but when it is weeks after i sprayed it, it should be.

Any ideas and tips to try?

Thanks

Hi Ruud

That sounds a bit funny, I have used quite a few Akan paints, thinned with a bit of water or vallejo thinner and never noticed the paint being tacky. Have you tried any other Akan paints or just that one? Could it have gone "off" if acrylics do?

I have had a couple of issues in the past with different paints but that was due too my inexperience, I didn't shake the bottle for long enough and it hadn't mixed properly before I sprayed it. The matt colour looked almost satin and would not dry properly. Had to strip it and start again. Not saying thats the problem but one of my experiences.

Simon

Hi Ruud:

The paints you bought were very new (less than 6 months from bottling), so I'm surprised that this is happening. Here's another bottle from the same batch of US colors, which dried last night within about 15 minutes. You should end up with a dry satin sheen. My usual modus operandi is:

1. stir paint well

2. add around 15% distilled (not tap) water or acrylic thinner (usually AKAN or Testors in my case)

3. spray at ca. 15 PSI

a354d9f0-ff5c-4898-8a8c-8ffef514f57b_zpsgfnlcamv.jpg

Keep me posted on how you progress.

i had it happen with the 36251 and 36375 when thinned a bit with X-20A and with the 36375 when thinned a bit with water. They mixed easily and went on great. Nothing happened that would lead me to think that the paint was bad or old. I'll tweak my technique with the suggestions and try again.

I've used MM acrylics in the past and currently use almost all Gunze.

Edited by Ruud