1/48 Eduard Sptfire Mk. VIII

This kit will be built OOB, it is a profi-pack so it did come with some photo-etch in the kit.

20160228_172025_zpsaumh5cpa.jpg

20160228_172101_zpscxxcao0c.jpg

Assembled part of the cockpit using CA glue, and primed. Ready for paint. Will be using acrylic paints, got some AMMO paints that I'm going to try painting the cockpit with.

14716_zpstaxtu0l9.jpg

Some of the parts are painted. The instrument panel is photo-etch that came with the kit. Now need to find the proper color for the seat.

20160324_155632_zpsjvmdyeqz.jpg

This will be good. Given any thought to markings?

Martin H

I can't decide on which one to build yet. I've still got time to make a decision on that. May have to buy more of these kits and build them all! :thumbsup::woot.gif:

Yay I can copy you.

I was hoping to get a few helpful tips from you! :-) I can tell you that the cockpit floor and stick are 9 separate pieces! You'll need patience with this one! Helpful tip: the throttle quadrant is a photo-etch piece and must be folded onto itself, however, the attachment points between the folds is very delicate and each one of them broke when I attempted to fold them over. And we all know how little parts love to disappear right before our very eyes! I would suggest folding them over a box or some other catch basin, so the parts don't wind up getting eaten by the carpet monster.

I can't decide on which one to build yet. I've still got time to make a decision on that. May have to buy more of these kits and build them all! :thumbsup:/> :woot.gif:/>

Yep Buying more kits is always a good option

Martin H

I was hoping to get a few helpful tips from you! :-) I can tell you that the cockpit floor and stick are 9 separate pieces! You'll need patience with this one! Helpful tip: the throttle quadrant is a photo-etch piece and must be folded onto itself, however, the attachment points between the folds is very delicate and each one of them broke when I attempted to fold them over. And we all know how little parts love to disappear right before our very eyes! I would suggest folding them over a box or some other catch basin, so the parts don't wind up getting eaten by the carpet monster.

I've got the floor, stick, and seat together. I think I've got most of the cockpit side panels together. Does yours have the horrible sink marks on whatever those boxes are on each side panel? I think they're ok because they look to be under the floor. I'm hopeful I can get time to finish cockpit assembly and get some paint today but who knows.

I've got the floor, stick, and seat together. I think I've got most of the cockpit side panels together. Does yours have the horrible sink marks on whatever those boxes are on each side panel? I think they're ok because they look to be under the floor. I'm hopeful I can get time to finish cockpit assembly and get some paint today but who knows.

Yes, mine has them as well.

Now need to find the proper color for the seat.

Hi,

I was wondering about Spitfire seat colours myself. With a google search, I found this discussion which includes a couple of colour pictures from post #10.

There seems to be quite a bit of variation, depending on the type of seat (metal or plastic)and whether padding was present.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

I was wondering about Spitfire seat colours myself. With a google search, I found this discussion which includes a couple of colour pictures from post #10.

There seems to be quite a bit of variation, depending on the type of seat (metal or plastic)and whether padding was present.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan,

You are correct, there are photos that show it in many different colors, but the consensus seems to be that they were painted Russet in most cases. That's where the problem comes in, I think I'll have to try and mix up something that comes close to what is seen in the photos, as the Russet paint I have seems too reddish in color.

Edited by marvin20

Stefan,

You are correct, there are photos that show it in many different colors, but the consensus seems to be that they were painted Russet in most cases. That's where the problem comes in, I think I'll have to try and mix up something that comes close to what is seen in the photos, as the Russet paint I have seems too reddish in color.

I recall reading somewhere that the Bakelite seats weren't painted. They were fabricated from mixing wood fibres and chips mixed with resin and then heated and compressed to shaped. The colour varied form seat to seat. It had something to do with the wood mixing with the resin and the resin drawing out colours and the temperature, curing, etc. I painted the seat in my build with Model Master Enamel Rust. It's close enough for jazz.

Continued luck with your build.

Mike

Yikes what happened? Making it to the meeting Sunday? I'm on the fence on if I'll be there or not. Can't remember if it's a contest but even if it is I don't have anything for it.

If I did go I could bring the Spit maybe. Never brought and in progress.

Yikes what happened? Making it to the meeting Sunday? I'm on the fence on if I'll be there or not. Can't remember if it's a contest but even if it is I don't have anything for it.

If I did go I could bring the Spit maybe. Never brought and in progress.

I'll be at the meeting on Sunday. Yes, it is a quarterly contest this week. The theme is USMC. That would be cool if you brought it in as an in-progress build. I hurt my back in February, slipped on some ice at home, and been tweaking it ever since whenever I try to do too much at once.

Yea I saw it was a contest in the Recon but I don't have anything USMC nor anything new for the non theme. Don't think I'll be there tomorrow sadly. Wife having surgery in a week so I'll hang out here I think.

Get better!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...