• 2 weeks later...

So this is the fun I have had so far.

If the nose gear strut is any indication; a plethora of modifications and fixes are going to be needed to get the kit built properly.

Firstly the strut. There are two pegs that insert into the holes under the cockpit tub, one on the trunnion and another on the bracing forward of the trunion. They should be aligned to allow the strut to be in the vertical and perpendicular to the bottom of the tub. However once assembled the test fit revealed the strut would wind up at the wrong angle; canting too far forward. So I removed the braces peg and drilled out a hole to insert a brass pin. I bent it where the rod intersects an imaginary line drawn from the top of the trunnion. I should have bent the wire prior to installation. Attempting it afterward nearly broke the bracing.

Esci_F1C_nose%20gear%20strut%20modification%201%20cropped_zpsxaypjleq.jpg

Next I discovered that the one of the two pegs a nose wheel attaches to was missing. Once again I had to drill out the bottom of the strut to insert a brass wire. This was trimmed and filed to remove burrs.

Esci_F1C_modification%202%20Cropped_zpsumxbvp2d.jpg

I noticed the holes through which the nose gear strut was also misaligned. I filled the original hole and used the modified strut to locate the new hole and drilled it out (no picture unfortunately)

I did take the opportunity to add detail to the kit's seat. Here it was after I painted it initially. It looks...well...boring.

Esci_F1C_Initial%20seat%20paint%20job%20Cropped_zpsmlzw3mwi.jpg

So I dug out a seat from an earlier project to act as a guide to duplicate the results.

Esci_F1C_YF5%20seat%20as%20model%20for%20belts%20Cropped_zpsdyf6v4sz.jpg

I followed a tutorial from Sept-2012 edition of World of Scale Modeling online magazine (sadly the online magazine is no longer published as far as I know). I used very thin styrene strips, tape, and various small bits of bent wire and styrene to form the belt details. Here are the various parts installed onto the seat and initially painted.

Esci_F1C_stock%20seat%20with%20belts%20installed%20Cropped_zps7o5x8sql.jpg

And here is the seat with the detail work completed.

Esci_F1C_Seatbelt%20detailing%20completed%202%20Cropped_zps2mplfi2m.jpg

I will grant these look nothing like what would be found on the real Martin Baker seat. However considering the stock part looks nothing like the real thing anyway I think I can afford to take some liberty and give the impression of restraints being present, something that was not there to begin with.

Edited by Fellow Hobbyist
  • 3 weeks later...

The fuselage halves have been closed up after some ballast was installed.

Esci%20F1C%20nose%20installed_zpszbwycut9.jpg

Overall the additional detailing to the ejection seat looks excellent if I say so myself.

Esci%20F1C%20cockpit%20detail%20looks%20nice%20cropped_zpsupskifpj.jpg

Putty work has started on the wings and fuselage. The vertical tail were not even. The inner panel sunk below the outer panels in several places.

Esci%20F1C%20trouble%20with%20the%20vertical%20tail%20Cropped_zpsptvs7tk7.jpg

Thus a lot of filler was used to level the inner and outer panels.

Esci%20Vertical%20Tail%20Leveling_zpsnrowljj0.jpg

The ventral side of the model. It too needs copious amount of filler to level out the seams there.

Esci%20F1C%20Ventral%20puttying_zpshks7pj4l.jpg

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the model has been destroyed due to circumstances beyond my control. Thus my this project is at an end. I was pleased with practicing detailing techniques. I had got to the phase where I was re-scribing the panel lines of the wings, fuselage, and especially the vertical tail. I used a series of custom templates to accomplish that task and was looking forward to priming.

If at all possible I hope to obtain a new model kit an hopefully complete participation in the HAF GB.

:crying:/> :crying:/> :crying:/> :crying:/> :crying:/> Whatever happened...never let your pets play with plastic model kits. Urghh...just see that your kit is 1/72!! In case of 1/48 I had some good news for you:

I have a pair of fuselage halves and would give it to you. For free, just cover the postage (If you want to). Someone only did some work to remove one airbrake. But it is something a passionate modeller like you can fix or moreover, you could make the F-1 with open airbrakes.

Ofc I hope the rest of your F-1 is still ok or reparable so that you can transfer it into the fresh fuselage.

Edited by tobiK