International shipping changes coming to Sprue Brothers

So got this email in my inbox today. Sounds like something I should at least look at

Cut and pasted from Sprue Brothers web site

New Lower Cost International Shipping Option for Small Parcels

A new shipping method called Economy International Shipping is now being offered. It offers a shipping cost that can be up to 50% lower than the US Postal Service for international addresses. This low cost international shipping method is for small packages weighing up to 4.4 pounds to certain countries. Transit times may vary and can range anywhere from 2 to 4+ weeks. Limited tracking is available. Packages shipping this method may not ship daily, but will ship at least every other day, depending on the number of packages awaiting shipment via this method.

This method is currently offered to: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, and Switzerland.

Recently with the increase in postage charges by the USPS it became pretty much impossible to order from Sprue Brothers even though I am just north in Canada. I guess we are still international since it is on the other side of the border. Yes this new service has a 2-4 week delivery but really not an issue for me. Well a currency exchange issue is still a problem but SB has no control over that either.

I will have to go try a test order to see what comes out for the shipping portion. Unfortunately if this proves a good deal I might end up spending more when I am trying to cut back.

I am sure Gordon has probably seen a drop in his international sales and like a very smart business man looks for ways to get those customers back. Kudos to him.

Interesting, I know the rate increases have killed my buying from US retailers. I ordered a lot from Sprue Brothers in the past, they were my number 1 source. But when the shipping is more than the product, I no longer ordered from all US retailers. The rest of the world was cheaper.

I wonder if this is a US Postal service initiative or an existing method of shipment that wasn't being used, such as a non-trackable package?

If its FedEx like Rodney says we will be paying their Customs Brokerage fee of at least $30 Canadian. Which I had to just after Christmas for a package sent from the States.

Don

It is not FedEx.

See here on our website for more information:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/help_answer.asp?ID=11#306

Also:

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/browse/international_mail_svcs.html

http://www.upsmi.com/services/international_mail.html

We are using one of the services offered by UPS-MI which currently only serves the countries we are offering this service to. Depending on how well this service works out, we may try to expand to other countries not currently served with one of their other services that do serve them.

Gordon, i understand this is likely on UPS side of things but, - any possibility to expand this to Norway? Denmark and Finland is covered, but it somehow avoids Norway and Sweden. :P

They do say "over 200" countries after all. I assume this includes Norway/Sweden.

Edited by Berkut

I just did a quick check, some larger items like a 1/48 a/c kit the saving on shipping is only about $3 but aftermarket accessories the savings would over half, might be time to do some ordering again in the near future.

Jari

Berkut - UPS-MI serves over 200 countries via their various services(shipping methods) offered, however the service we have been approved to use currently only services the countries we are offering at this time. We just started this Thursday so please give us a chance to see how well it works out in reality (what you are told, and reality, sometime are not the same). If it is an effective method, we will certainly try to expand what we can offer.

Finn - how the cost is derived is completely different than how the US Postal Services does it. So the amount of savings is going to vary depending on the weight/dimensions of the package.

Edited by gkwan

I just did a quick check, some larger items like a 1/48 a/c kit the saving on shipping is only about $3 but aftermarket accessories the savings would over half, might be time to do some ordering again in the near future.

Jari

that's good for me, as rare aftermarket stuff was my primary interest in SB!

so i guess i'll go take a look in the near future...

Dam if its a ups service I'm sorry to say I'm out, I've been burnt by excessive brokage fee and actual taxes on non taxable items here in Canada. I rather pay more and use usps

FYI - this is not a service where the UPS brown truck delivers it. It will be delivered by your local postman. UPS just carries over to the country and puts it into the mailstream.

I'll be keen to check this out. I've used SB in the past but for obvious seasons not since the UPS charges went up so much. Can I use Paypal for this or must it be credit card (or debit card). Oops, should've said, I'm in New Zealand.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Dam if its a ups service I'm sorry to say I'm out, I've been burnt by excessive brokage fee and actual taxes on non taxable items here in Canada. I rather pay more and use usps

You and I both, the couriers ding the buyer with excessive and fictitious tariffs, fees, and taxes.

This isn't a fix for me.

Edited by Scooby

Hey at least SprueBros is trying to make their business more affordable/accessible to folks living outside the U.S. Kudos to them I say! You never know, it just may be a potential fix for making some items people want/need more affordable. Don't knock it until we get some feedback from people who have tried it.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a decal set and 3 resin items and used their New Lower Cost International Shipping Option for Small Parcels to Canada, here is what happened:

One day after I ordered I got a UPS Mail Innovations email with a link to track my package, I was able to track it using this link until it was handed off to Canadian Customs, it was not updated after that.

Package showed up in my mail box with Canada Post Sticker on it (one week later), No UPS brokerage fees or Canada Post Customs fees.

I'm a happy customer that will put Sprue Brothers back on my list !

So I ordered a decal set and 3 resin items and used their New Lower Cost International Shipping Option for Small Parcels to Canada, here is what happened:

One day after I ordered I got a UPS Mail Innovations email with a link to track my package, I was able to track it using this link until it was handed off to Canadian Customs, it was not updated after that.

Package showed up in my mail box with Canada Post Sticker on it (one week later), No UPS brokerage fees or Canada Post Customs fees.

I'm a happy customer that will put Sprue Brothers back on my list !

Hi Yves, was the shipping reasonable considering what you bought?

I have some Steel Beach items I would like to get and seeing that Sprue Brothers is pretty much the only source for that I would like to test it with a small order of that stuff.

Hi Yves, was the shipping reasonable considering what you bought?

I have some Steel Beach items I would like to get and seeing that Sprue Brothers is pretty much the only source for that I would like to test it with a small order of that stuff.

Shipping was $8.57 US or 345$ Cdn !! :woot.gif:

FYI - this is not a service where the UPS brown truck delivers it. It will be delivered by your local postman. UPS just carries over to the country and puts it into the mailstream.

I missed these details, after reading the feedback I am going to give it a try!

Happy to hear the guy in the little brown truck with the credit card machine won't be at my door!

I sent in an order on 30 Mar. Items showed up today after about 14 days in transit. Quite average for packages coming this way from the States.

Tracking was only available until the package was handed to USPS in Chicago.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon,

I just ordered an AMK Mig-31 and I am pleased with the shipping charges. I am so happy to be ordering big-stuff from Spruebrothers again. Thanks much for researching and aquiring a much improved shipping rate.

My apologies for my earlier replies in the thread, I didn't read the other replies well enough.