Hasegawa 48th Sabre 6 - Pakistani Air Force

Just starting a thread to indicate that I'll play in this GB. For those who know me, I have an affinity for the Sabre. Not quite the obsession that 'phantom' has for the F-4 family but pretty close. This will be the twenty-somethingth Sabre I've built in 72nd, 48th and 32nd scale.

This is the venerable Hasegawa Sabre F-86F-40. It's not quite a true Canadair Sabre 6 but it's close enough for the results I'm aiming for. I'm not going to modify the wingtips. I can live with the F-40 wings.

This is the QF-86F 'Full Size Drone' kit, #09306. It's the same as the a regular F-40 variant with a few extra pieces thrown in the box.

Unstarted_zpsqoebqmcw.jpg

I'll be using EZ Masks to mask the canopy and windscreen.

EZ%20Masks_zpspdytbfyj.jpg

I'm using decals from this set.

Decals%201_zpsqc9l2os9.jpg

Here are the decals.

Decals%202_zpsewibfzti.jpg

This is the paint scheme.

Decal%20Scheme%201_zps8y89suem.jpg

According to Larry Milberry's bible, The Canadair Sabre, this is Sabre number 1777 constructed for the Luftwaffe by Canadair at the Cartierville plant in 1958. She had her first flight on 13 August 1958 and was then accepted by the Luftwaffe. She was assigned to 2/JG 72 'Foxes' and given Luftwaffe designation JB-363. When the Luftwaffe phased their Sabres out of service, this Sabre was one of many sold to Pakistan. It served with the PAF and was scrapped in 1978.

I'm currently working on a Spitfire for that GB so I won't be starting this until I finish that project. One of the great things about being retired is now I actually have time to build! :woot.gif:/>/>

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Nice job on your Sword. The only aftermarket I'm adding is the decals and a set of resin sugar scoop intakes. I have a few resin seats but they're for other projects. I'll also be using stencils from the Revell of Germany Sabre 6 / F-86F-40 kit. They're not bad. A small amount of silvering but nothing I can't live with. I'm still toying with drop tanks. I haven't decided yet. Most of the Sabres I've built have drop tanks. Decisions...decisions. Here's a photo I found on the interweb of 'Triple Seven" in PAF service.

http://www.aircraftslides.com/Auction/AuctionDetail.aspx?ID=1311607

Good choice, however you need many many MANY more Sabres. I should have traded you one of mine with the Canuck.

The Boss thinks I have enough models, let alone Sabres. Yes! Yes ...you should have! Ah...who am I kidding. If I need a fix, I can have you bring one or two to Wee Tony's show next year.

The Sabre is a great little airplane. The USAF certainly made good use of them in Korea and several other countries have done so since then. Looking forward to seeing this get built.

Thanks yardbird. Most of the Sabres I've built are in RCAF colours with the exception of a JASDF Sabre and a Luftwaffe Sabre 6. I have plans to do a USAF Sabre along with an RAF Sabre and other RCAF Sabres. Getting there.

Thanks for looking in and dropping a line, guys.

Happy Easter to all.

Mike

The only aftermarket I'm adding is the decals and a set of resin sugar scoop intakes. I have a few resin seats but they're for other projects.

Mike

Save your Sabre seats, as your PAF Sabre had a MB seat from it's Luftwaffe days. :)

Model On !!!!

Tony

Save your Sabre seats, as your PAF Sabre had a MB seat from it's Luftwaffe days. :)/>

Model On !!!!

Tony

Thanks Tony. I knew that. I bought a Sabre here on the Buy & Sell Forum years ago and it included a Legends or Black Box resin cockpit and the seller, unknown to me, substituted the Canadair supplied resin seat with an MB resin seat to model a Luftwaffe Sabre 6. So, in reality, I could make this a true ex-Luftwaffe, PAF Sabre but I'm going to use that resin tub and seat on a future Luftwaffe Sabre build.

Cheers!

Mike

Just a little bit of hair-splitting here, if you don't mind:

... When the Luftwaffe phased their Sabres out of service, this Sabre was one of many sold to Pakistan.
At least officially, (West) Germany sold them to Iran; Iranians then announced they're sending them to Pakistan - and they 'never came back'.

BTW, the camo on that instruction sheet is based on a series of photos that came into being at Sharjah, sometimes in the late 1960s (keep in mind, RAF Sharjah came into being after the British withdrawal from Aden, in 1967). There were two Sabres (serials 1777 and 1788) from No. 19 Squadron PAF, underway for an exercise in Iran. They arrived together with a C-130B (62-4143/0). On departure, one of Sabres suffered an engine malfunction and they all returned to the main ramp. A team of technicians jumped out of the Hercules - and replaced the engine within 30 minutes, flat.

...and that at an outside temperature of about 48°C!

Enjoy your build!

Edited by TomCooper

Just a little bit of hair-splitting here, if you don't mind:

At least officially, (West) Germany sold them to Iran; Iranians then announced they're sending them to Pakistan - and they 'never came back'.

BTW, the camo on that instruction sheet is based on a series of photos that came into being at Sharjah, sometimes in the late 1960s (keep in mind, RAF Sharjah came into being after the British withdrawal from Aden, in 1967). There were two Sabres (serials 1777 and 1788) from No. 19 Squadron PAF, underway for an exercise in Iran. They arrived together with a C-130B (62-4143/0). On departure, one of Sabres suffered an engine malfunction and they all returned to the main ramp. A team of technicians jumped out of the Hercules - and replaced the engine within 30 minutes, flat.

...and that at an outside temperature of about 48°C!

Enjoy your build!

Tom,

No worries. Thanks for your input. I noted the difference between the scheme printed on the Model Alliance instructions and the scheme in the photo I have hyperlinked in my reply of 27 March as above.

I kind of like the colours of the scheme in the photo. The underside in that photo looks like PRU blue? What do you think the grey on the topside is?

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Tom,

What do you think the grey on the topside is?

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

With very little reference for grey/green scheme on PAF Sabres, I did the scheme in Gunze H317 Grey and H73 Green. It looks close enough to the naked eye but may still not be correct colors.

Since these Mk 6 Sabres were Luftwaffe, the best possible color reference would come from Luftwaffe standard colors. But then those are RAL code colors are usually hard to find here in Canada.

With very little reference for grey/green scheme on PAF Sabres, I did the scheme in Gunze H317 Grey and H73 Green. It looks close enough to the naked eye but may still not be correct colors.

Since these Mk 6 Sabres were Luftwaffe, the best possible color reference would come from Luftwaffe standard colors. But then those are RAL code colors are usually hard to find here in Canada.

Thanks for the info. I saw the colours you used in your thread and the end results. Very nice indeed. I have the RAL colours for the Luftwaffe Sabres. Not quite right for this project, I don't think. As I use Model Master enamels exclusively, I found that H308 is equal to FS36375 (light ghost grey) and H317 is equal to FS36231 (dark gull grey), both of which I have on hand. As for the green, I think I'll go with the RAF dark green. The RAL 'olivgrun' has too much of a brownish tinge to it, in my opinion.

Thanks again stalal!

Mike

All the photos in question are black & white, and undersurfaces are in thick shade - so it's hard to gauge.

I tend to agree with Stalal: probably same colours as applied on Luftwaffe's Sabres.

Clear as mud! :woot.gif:

I did a Luftwaffe Sabre not long ago and I used RAL 7001 (hellgrau) on the undersides and Euro 1 grey (FS36081) and RAL 6041 (olivgrun) on the top. The grey on top should be RAL 7012 (basaltgrau) but what I used was close enough for my liking. Here's how it turned out:

Done%20Bottom_zps5o2pyiis.jpg

Done%20Top_zpsregudbiw.jpg

Done%20RF_zpsfkieci9p.jpg

As they are ex- Luftwaffe aircraft, I may just go with these colours...

Mike

Thanks to TomCooper and stalal for their input relating to camo colours. I'll go with the colours I used from my Luftwaffe Sabre as the PAF jets were Luftwaffe hand-me-downs.

As I waited for paint to dry on my Spitfire, and now the first gloss coat, I started this build.

I know this seat is wrong for an ex-Luftwaffe Sabre but I'm not going for complete accuracy here, simply a close representation of the real thing. I also know that some of the colours on the switches and knobs are also wrong but a little bit of colour never hurt anyone.

Finished%20Seat_zpsq65ruy82.jpg

Cockpit%201_zpstmoaoglg.jpg

Cockpit%204_zpslbithqox.jpg

Although I forgot to take a picture of it, there is ample room on top of the intake runner and behind the seat to add weight to keep the model from being a bum dragger. Here is a photo from another build of 3 X 1/8 steel sinkers glued in place to illustrate.

Nose%20Weight_zps7e4qj8vq.jpg

The exhaust nozzle has been glued in place and the fuselage halves joined together. The vent on top of the fuselage has been sanded off as has the vent on the right side that is unique to JASDF Sabres.

Exhaust%20Nozzle_zpsvfuickmp.jpg

Joined%20Duselage_zpslvfxroev.jpg

Top%20Vent%20Gone_zpsxboc6egf.jpg

Side%20Vent%20Gone_zpskufk7wvi.jpg

Also, the piece for the lading lights has been glued into place before completely gluing the front nose wheel bay into place. Gluing this piece in now before setting the nose gear bay in place with cement makes it easier to attach the nose ring without any filling or sanding.

Landing%20lights_zpsotznhw6i.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

With my Spitfire GB entry done, I can now concentrate on this build.

The nose ring has been added as has the gunsight. The paint looks glossy on the gunsight as I had just painted it. I've also decided that I won't add the drop tanks. Most of the Sabres I've built have them so it's time to change it up. I've also painted the radio beacon Tamiya Clear Orange and attached it to the turtle deck.

Nose%20Ring%20Bottom_zpsxh18r2mi.jpg

Nose%20Ring%20amp%20Sight_zpsen3lrcb1.jpg

Wings_zpsi9l3xzif.jpg

Turtle%20Deck_zpsmhh5fqp3.jpg

I'm not sure if you can make out the moulded in 12" wing extension used on the F-40 wing. A Sabre 6 wing would end at the aileron with the aileron forming part of the wingtip.

F-40%20Extension_zpsjrg6fhrs.jpg

This is from a previous build that would have you cut off that 12" extension and glue on a resin wingtip to make a true Sabre 6 '6-3' slatted wing.

Wingtips%201_zpsblzaji6r.jpg

Thanks for looking in. As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

I just got on such a roll that I forgot about taking photos of my progress. Taking photos from other Sabre builds that I've undertaken, here's what I've done since last posting:

Struts have been glued to MLG doors and placed in clothespins. This keeps the assembly vertical while the glue dries.

Landing%20Gear_zpszsbe7fb7.jpg

The sugar scoop intakes were added.

Sugar%20Scoops_zpskqitphop.jpg

The wings were added and the model primed with Model Master Light Grey.

Primed_zps3jzylnac.jpg

The gear wells have been painted with Alclad Aluminum (main gear bays) and Model Master Interior Green (nose gear well).

Painted%20Gear%20Wells_zpspe9qtmfg.jpg

The wheels were sprayed Model Master flat black and the hubs painted Tamiya aluminum by hand. I have also sprayed the three colour camo and applied the second coat of gloss moments ago. The three colour camo is the same for the Luftwaffe Sabre in the photo above; Model Master hellblau on the bottom (RAL 7001) and Euro 1 grey and gleboliv (RAL 6041) on the top. Demarcation lines were made using 3M Nexcare tape and then filled with Tamiya tape. There is no yellow on the nose as depicted in this photo.

Decaling will take place tonight or tomorrow. I hope to have this little lot wrapped up by Friday at the latest.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Looking good. You are almost to the finish line.

Thanks brother. The decals are done. No stencils on this airframe just the national markings and a few others from the spares box. I should have the final gloss and matte coats sprayed tomorrow with final assembly on Friday. Here are a few teasers...

Decals%2001_zpsdqvpo661.jpg

Decals%2002_zps8l74hvwc.jpg

Decals%203_zpsbupmdxxc.jpg

Decals%204_zpsu7uudtjj.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Thanks guys. She's done. A few photos here and a few more in the Display Case thread above.

Done%20-%20Bottom_zpsjvh5xqzk.jpg

Done%20-%20Top_zps1qg4naix.jpg

Done%20-%20Rear_zpssrdelhsq.jpg

Done%20-%20Front_zpsshk1aqor.jpg

Done%20-%20RF_zpstv8onznb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who looked in and offered comments, advice and constrictive criticism. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by AX 365