Wild Weasel Phantoms

What are/were the chances that the Phantoms operating during ODS carried Mavericks on sorties or a combo of Mavericks/HARMs?, I've got a Hasegawa Phantom on the bench, but I'm not going with the box art loadout...it's too pedestrian and if the 'net is right; the -78 was phased out in the late 80's, though the Shrike was still in the inventory; I don't know if it was used very much.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

An F-4G from Incirlik destroyed an Il-76 on the ground with an AGM-65 when flying SEAD for a package of F-16's on February 2nd.

Maybe this page can be of help to you: http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-4.html

Cheers,

Erik.

That's interesting. I forgot all about the Turkey based Weasels. Magnum mainly talks about Bharain and Saudi based Phantom crews.

Hi Folks!

Now it comes to mind as I look at the photos that produces someone "one piece canopy" for 1/72 Phantom E/G ? I have decal for it, but I can't find any aftermarket canopy for it.

Here are some in flight with HARMs:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6472885

note one a/c has a black radome.

Not ODS but 4 a/c showing a combination of weapons:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6437814

Shrikes, HARMs, Mavericks and CBUs.

Jari

Thanx Jari....in the second pic...it shows live HARM's; if it follows convention the Mavericks should also be live...which is the combo I'm looking for...Thanx shed loads :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not ODS but 4 a/c showing a combination of weapons:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6437814

Jari

Just as an FYI, when this picture was taken, the US Wild Weasels were part of the 37th TFW with red, yellow & blue squadrons (see the leader's tail). In 1989, the 37th became the F-117's wing and the F-4Es and F-4Gs at George AFB were combined under the 35th TFW with black & silver F-4E and yellow & blue F-4G squadrons.

An F-4G from Incirlik destroyed an Il-76 on the ground with an AGM-65 when flying SEAD for a package of F-16's on February 2nd.

Can I assume the likely Maverick loadout for that mission might have been the same as in the photo in one of the links here? Meaning, HARMS on the outboards, Mavericks on the inboards, Sparrows in the rear 2 wells, ECM unit in one of the front wells and a centerline tank?

What other Maverick loadouts might have been likely? Not possible, but likely? (there is a difference)

Can I assume the likely Maverick loadout for that mission might have been the same as in the photo in one of the links here? Meaning, HARMS on the outboards, Mavericks on the inboards, Sparrows in the rear 2 wells, ECM unit in one of the front wells and a centerline tank?

What other Maverick loadouts might have been likely? Not possible, but likely? (there is a difference)

That should be fine--my info is a bit dated, but I don't think the outboard stations were Maverick capable, but someone else may know more.

I think ist was ARC member Benner who posted some years ago a picture of a Incirlik based F-4G with one each AGM-65 (green color) on the inboard pylon. Otherwise standard fit. Somewhere I also read that they were also employing Shrikes towards the end of the war. Harms became too expensive with the diminished thread as well as old stocks had to be used up.

Cheers

Scout

I think ist was ARC member Benner who posted some years ago a picture of a Incirlik based F-4G with one each AGM-65 (green color) on the inboard pylon. Otherwise standard fit. Somewhere I also read that they were also employing Shrikes towards the end of the war. Harms became too expensive with the diminished thread as well as old stocks had to be used up.

Cheers

Scout

The Air Force did in fact have AGM-45 Shrikes at Sheik Isa during ODS. However, all of the photos I took of the F-4G's while there only show them loaded with HARM. The few times I was near the AF side of the base I only saw HARM loaded as well. Obviously that doesn't mean they never flew Shrike, I just never happened to catch them loaded. I still have a combat mission flown patch from a 561st TFS pilot that I traded some Marine Corps stuff for......good times!

I think ist was ARC member Benner who posted some years ago a picture of a Incirlik based F-4G with one each AGM-65 (green color) on the inboard pylon. Otherwise standard fit.

Cheers

Scout

Probably this pic:

69-0274_5.jpg