What's your favorite flat/matte coat

So I'm super close to finishing my RF-20. A few more little details and it will be time to give her a flat/matte coat. I have used many brands in the past with ok result but looking for a nice flat finish. So.. What's your favorite flat/matte coat and how do you shoot it? Post some pics too

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148

While I've learned to love Mr Color lacquers, I'm using up my stock of bottled Model Master clear gloss, semi-gloss, and matt lacquers. They work really nice, far better for me than the GlossCote and DullCote rattle cans.

I just flat coated my latest effort with MM Acryl, flat on the underside and semigloss on the topside. Both over Future. I thinned them about 60/40 with Acryl thinner and shot them at about 15 psi. They laid down wonderfully and gave me exactly what I was looking for. Just about foolproof. The flat is really flat.

Bob

It may not have the 'Designer Cachet' of some brands, but Revell Acrylic is my choice right now. Thin with Aqua Color Mix (a lot!) and it applies beautifully by air or hand, dries quickly to a very flat finish and will even give a sort of tone-down filter effect, should you want it, if you slap it on heavy enough. The only downside is the little box-like container, which can be a pain to open.

I used to use Xtracrylics flat varnish, but that looks like a satin finish next to the Revell product!

Dullcote is hard to beat. Anything lacquer usually sprays nicely. I haven't tried Mr. Color, yet. I know that some folks don't like it, but I've also had good luck with the Microscale clear flat. The best advice that I can give you is to use an acrylic or a lacquer. Don't use anything enamel. Enamel will yellow.

Good Luck!!!

Well, back in the day (late 90's) mine was Polly-S Flat, LOVED this stuff. Currently I use this, I get it from AC Moore or Michael's craft stores and with a 40-50% off coupon + 15% military discount, you can't beat it. It give a dead flat finish. Their "wet look" clear gloss works well too for decals. Both of these are what I'm currently using on my 1/18th scale F-14B conversion.

Steve

IMG_5076_zpsmmtlbyuc.jpg

For years I was strictly a Testor's Dullcoat user. I've tried Winsor & Newton's Acrylic UV Matt varnish thinned 50/50 with Tamiya X20-A and it really gives you a flat finish. The only issue I have is that it takes days to really cure. Even though it's dry to the touch it still will stick to anything that the model is resting on. So I next tried Alcad II Kleer Kote Flat #314 straight from the bottle as it's pre-thinned. Dries quickly to a flat smooth surface. Now I vary which gloss and flat I use depending on what the base is of the washes and filters I'm using.

Joel

Microscale Flat, and satin are what I usually use. You can spray it right out of the bottle, and its acrylic so its safe for all finishes. I'm a fan of Dullcote too, but only when I use Floquil or MM enamels as I know it's safe on those. I had it eat right thru the paint when I used Gunze once.