McDonnell F-4C Phantom II, USAF (1/48, Eduard)

I've looked at every picture carefully, and no matter where I look, all I see is perfection. Not a single building mistake or error. Perfectly applied paint, and weathering that really emulates a well cared for operational aircraft. Phantoms are known in the modeling world for their use of stencils, and your decaling looks like mini stencils, not decals. Not a drop of silvering nor flash to be seen. Just a truly outstanding build.

Joel

• 5 weeks later...

Iceman,

Freakin awesome F-4!! Can you explain how you did the decals? Did you use all of the kit decals....the Eduard F-4C Stencils AND the HGW Wet Transfer Stencils? How did you do the stencils? Amazing!

Paul

Thank you gentlemen!

Iceman,

Freakin awesome F-4!! Can you explain how you did the decals? Did you use all of the kit decals....the Eduard F-4C Stencils AND the HGW Wet Transfer Stencils? How did you do the stencils? Amazing!

Paul

Thanks Paul :) I used a few of kit decals, especially yellow and red stencils. Black stencils are brand new HGW wet transfers (I had pre-release sheet available, yellow and red colors were out of the line, hence the usage of decals) and some stuff was painted with an airbrush and custom die-cut masks - roundels, USAF lettering, serial numbers, shark, etc.

• 1 year later...

Fantastic job! At first, I figured the model was a 1/32nd with such accurate detail, so that makes it even better quality as a 1/48th scale. You have set a high standard for the rest of us modeller's to work toward. Using the Academy F4C kit,  I am currently working on building another of the early F4C's from the 45th TFS - 64-0685 - the first F4C based in Thailand to be shot down over enemy territory on 6/20/1965. I know the pilot, Lt Col Paul Kari (ret), and the model is kind of a surprise for him. He was a POW for almost 8 years! Since it's a surprise, I cannot ask him about the weapons loads or other things about his plane. Where did you do your research on 0676?  I know that the early F4C's still used the Navy inboard pylons in 1965. The curved nose USAF pylons that were able to carry TERs and AIM-9s weren't developed until 1967. So I guess it was either bombs or AIM-9s on the inboard pylons. Any information or photos of the gray/white early F4C's you can provide would be a big help. Thanks for any help.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...