Monogram 1:48 Mi-24 Hind

I bought this kit second hand, still in shrink wrap. Opened it today and it looks like a nice kit. I plan on an out of box build, but I'll need to pick up some aftermarket decals.

Am I correct in that Monogram kitted this as a Hind D? Does it build up fairly accurately or is something way off the mark here? Looks like an impressive helicopter.

Just so everyone is clear, I know very, very little about helicopters.

Aaron

The cockpit is pure fiction. The troop bay is the back is really nice. The rocket launchers are not close to the real launchers but more like a loose representation. I do not know about the dimensions or anything like that. It is a nice kit and other than the mini hobby copy the only one available in 1/48. I am building one of these right now and it is a fun build.

Edited by gonzalo

Like most Monogram kits of the 70s and 80s, its a diamond in the rough. How much you enjoy it is totally up to you, but Cobra Company and CMK offer aftermarket sets if you want to take it that far. Akan paints do a set for Hinds and their paints rock! A few tricky parts to watch for are the seams underneath the fuselage, and the engine inlet piece. Otherwise, have fun with it. Here is one I did... http://imodeler.com/2015/12/148-scale-mi-24-hind-e/

Cheers!

-Ramon

OOB the rotor will hit the tail, it needs an extension and change in the angle. The CMK update has a plug that fixes the issue.

The other big issue there is no twist as shown in Ken Duffy's photo. To me it's like having a flat wing Corsair.

Mi-24-Offset.jpg

A way to fix it. link not 100% sure it's the best but probably the easiest.