another alcald question..

DEFINETLY LAST UPDATE-------------

one pic here and more on the critique corner..... now that the attach thing is back..

Well guys, tell me did it work?

Here she is, finished. I'll take some more pics in the daylight, and post them on the proper forum. B)

I think the picture is on the end?!

Cheers,

Roy

---------------

Hi again all, ---- update on alclad 2 polished aluminium..

I've finished the painting, and I have to say it worked. I used a mist coat of humbrol matt black enamel as a primer, followed by humbrol gloss black as an undercoat for the highly polished aluminium. Have a look and see the results! Scroll down to the bottom for pics

New question, how do I hide the decal film? can I brush on klear/future over the alclad? As a under and topcoat for the decals?

thanks again folks, and happy modelling!!!!!!

Roy

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm about to try this stuff for the first time, my question is can I apply the Highly polished aluminium over gloss black ENAMEL as opposed to gloss black ACRYLIC as per the instructions. I only have access to Humbrol enamels and acrylic spray cans, and as I'm building a 1/72 F-104G I think the spray can will be overkill. Also, as I am building the mirror-like 69TFTS Starfighter as seen in the film 'The Right Stuff' should I use the Polished aluminium or go straight for the Chrome?

Cheers,

Roy

Edited by roym

Just never spray any alclad over Tamiya acrilics. It is very hazardous. I have done this way about five times before discovering (With the help of some clever minded ARC'ers) that with Tamiya acrilics (and I think most acrylic), you'll get cracks. Even if these are fine (crisper than a hair), you can see it...

Just use Enamel gloss black

I have used Gunze Gloss Black reduced w/Gunze Thinner. Applied the Alcladd II polished chrome and have had excellent results. Also I make note to spray only on dry days. Not while there is a chance iof rain, humidity can cause this effect that you have experienced.

Cheers

Frog

Alclad's own directions are here:

http://www.alclad2.com/application.html

http://www.alclad2.com/directions.html

One important item to note is that when they talk about using Tamiya TS-14 as the base coat, they are specifically talking about the spray can paint, which is an acrylic lacquer. The spray can stuff will work well with Alclad 2, but DON'T use the bottle Tamiya paint, which is a different kind of acrylic. They recommend using enamal paint for only for chrome, not PA. Id recommend getting some of the Tamiya spray apint.

You can apply Alclad Highly Polished Aluminum over cured gloss back enamel. Remember.... spray Alclad at low air pressure.....and very light misting coats. It's easy to put on too much, and you lose the lovely effect that Alclad can give you. Get your black undercoat as smooth as you can............. B)

Thanks for the responses guys,even if I did mis-spell the title....

I should have mentioned I live in Ireland, I don't have access to any model paint except humbrol enamels, no Tamiya, no Testors, only acrylic sprays I can get are car touch-ups. I bought the Alclad PolAlu in a mail order bundle from Aeroclub. I figured that the chrome shade would be too bright in 1/72 and make the model too toy-like. I won't know till I start. One more question, if I screw up (which is most likely) can I use my favourite paint stripper (MR Muscle oven cleaner!) to start again?

Once again, thanks all for the help,

Roy

I use Alclad all the time with Enamel Gloss black for an undercoat and have had excellent results all the time. I placed a piece of plastic I sprayed with the Chrome Alclad next to a piece of real Polished Aluminum and you couldn't tell the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

28-08-04

Hey roym:

I am based in Ireland too. Where are you? If you are near Cork, you could try Marks' Models. If nearer to Dublin, Marks' Models have two shops, one in the city center and one in DunLaoaghaire shopping mall ( upstairs), the one with the seagulls on the outside wall. If nearer to Limerick, find the Gathering (they have a web-site, I think) and they stock Vallejo paints and can order Alclad from Hannants for you if you wish.

Liam

That looks simply stunning Roy!

To answer your new question, I have read many posts reporting that spraying Future/Klear over the highly polished finishes will actually dull the finish.

That being said, when I applied the notoriously thick kit decals to my Hase 104 without a gloss coat added, the film was virtually invisible. You had to get REAL close before it was noticeable. I even used MicroSol, despite many warnings that MicroSol would mar the finish.

Alclad II you either love it or loath it. I happen to love it and have had great results. Cardinal Rule: Follow the instructions. I use automotive primers and dark paints (i.e. Black, dark blue, etc.). For chrome I use Testors black enamel. After that you can do what you want.

The 1/72nd Roto-Finish is done in Alclad II aluminum over auto primer and sealed in future. The 1/72nd F-104 is finished in Alclad II Chrome over black enamel and sealed in future and clear automotive lacquer, the darker shades of metal is Model Master metalizer sprayed over the Alclad II prior to sealing. The 1/48 F-84 is done in Alclad II highly polished aluminum overall with various shades over black automotive acrylics and sealed in future.

Sealing, weathering, etc. is a matter of personal choice. This is what works for me and I'm quite satisfied. The F-104 is over 3 years old now and the picture of it was taken today. The reason I use Alclad II is its' durability and the ability to mask over it with tape, the one thing you can't do with any other metal finish/paint.

RotoFinish01.jpg

f1042004_0830AA.jpg

F84f1a.jpg

f84.jpg

bucket.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...