Best B-52 Stratofortress reference

Looking to expand my library a bit, if one was looking for a very good source of information on the Buff, especially with an eye to superdetailing or accurizing a kit, or even basically scratchbuilding a large-scale Buff, what would the Buff fans recommend?

TIA

I recommend a visit to the Museum of the United States Air Force, or whatever it's called now, outside Dayton, Ohio. You can crawl under to stand in the landing gear wells and I believe one of the bomb bays is open, too. While I'm not a B-52 nut, I have a few books and none really strike me as good for detail. Well, maybe the Squadron Walk Around is a decent enough reference for the G/H models.

Looking to expand my library a bit, if one was looking for a very good source of information on the Buff, especially with an eye to superdetailing or accurizing a kit, or even basically scratchbuilding a large-scale Buff, what would the Buff fans recommend?

TIA

Try using PrimePortal there is a lot of good pictures on that site.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/b-52_home.htm

David

We really need a great book on the Buff with times and mods etc.

It is hard to pin down many changes and times with information scattered everywhere.

Pity she has been widely ignored from a history point.

Walter Boyne did quite a decent book but it's lacking plenty of later stuff.

Great aeroplane!

I recommend a visit to the Museum of the United States Air Force, or whatever it's called now, outside Dayton, Ohio. You can crawl under to stand in the landing gear wells and I believe one of the bomb bays is open, too. While I'm not a B-52 nut, I have a few books and none really strike me as good for detail. Well, maybe the Squadron Walk Around is a decent enough reference for the G/H models.

thanks for that - have never been to Dayton, but have been to Duxford a time or two, similar situation but the bomb bay is closed.

Try using PrimePortal there is a lot of good pictures on that site.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/b-52_home.htm

David

Got that one, thanks!

What about the Daco book on the BUFF?

Mark

Will look into it, thanks!

We really need a great book on the Buff with times and mods etc.

It is hard to pin down many changes and times with information scattered everywhere.

Pity she has been widely ignored from a history point.

Walter Boyne did quite a decent book but it's lacking plenty of later stuff.

Great aeroplane!

this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Boeing-B-52-Documentary-Schiffer-Military/dp/0887406009

International Air Power Review volumes 8&9 had good coverage of all of the variants, vol 9 covered from the D-model onwards.

Key Publishing had a good magazine on the B-52 with lots of pictures through the years Link

World Air Power Journal #27 had a good article on the B-52H as well.

And I'll second the DACO book.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

thanks for that - have never been to Dayton, but have been to Duxford a time or two, similar situation but the bomb bay is closed.

Sorry, mate. I missed that you're in Japan. Still, USAF Museum a great place with a lot of neat aircraft. A must-visit if you make it to the States.

Aerofax Datagraph #7: B-52G/H is also a great reference. It has plenty of detail shots and historical photos of the gradual modifications to both platforms over the years. However, most of the photos are b&w and on the small side. But it can be picked up fairly cheaply. ($16 USD new on Amazon)

R/ Dutch