New Decals - OH-6A Loach in the Vietnam War

The next AOA decal release is a little different and will AOA's first 1/35 offering.

Sheet covers 23 Loaches/Cayuses (24 schemes) from Vietnam and is for the "old" Dragon (and Italeri rebox).

----------

1/48....

I'd like to release these in 1/48 at least too very soon after, but I'm not sure what the preferred kit is. I know of the recent AMP one but the skids aren't correct for the OH-6A, the old Tamiya one (I thought wasn't actually 1/48 though, or I remembering wrong), and then the Academy MD500/Quickboost OH-6A conversion option. The latter is the only one I personally have. So I don't know which to use to size the decals to. Looking for input here. Thanks!

----------

Those covered:

D Troop, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment (x3)

A Troop, 7th Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment (x2)

D Troop, 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment

F Troop, 4th Cavalry Regiment

F Troop, 8th Cavalry Regiment

C Troop, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment (x2)

D Troop, 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment

A Troop, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment

B Troop, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment

C Troop, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment (former D Trp, 3rd Sq, 5th Cav)

B Troop, 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment (x2)

C Troop, 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment

B Troop, 25th Aviation Battalion

B Company, 123rd Aviation Battalion

Casper Platoon, 173rd Airborne Brigade

326th Airborne Medical Company & HQ Company, 3rd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (x2)

Unknown unit (x2)

Two sets of stencils provided (including some interior)

Now available

Price $20

www.AOAdecals.com

COVER-35001.jpg 35001.jpg

35001-1.jpg 35001-2.jpg 35001-3.jpg 35001-4.jpg 35001-5.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

1/48....

I'd like to release these in 1/48 at least too very soon after, but I'm not sure what the preferred kit is. I know of the recent AMP one but the skids aren't correct for the OH-6A, the old Tamiya one (I thought wasn't actually 1/48 though, or I remembering wrong), and then the Academy MD500/Quickboost OH-6A conversion option. The latter is the only one I personally have. So I don't know which to use to size the decals to. Looking for input here. Thanks![/b]

I would use the Academy kit as both it, and the Quickboost conversion are readily available. Very nice sheet also!

I would use the Academy kit as both it, and the Quickboost conversion are readily available. Very nice sheet also!

ok that's good since that's what I originally planned (and what's in my stash).

Nice!! Can't wait to see some pics. Is this kit still available? Thought it was out of stock.

Unfortunately yes it's OOP, hopefully many have them stockpiled in their stashes. It's mainly a subject I've wanted to cover for a while and since there's many, many other options to choose from other than the usual 16th Cav.

. It's mainly a subject I've wanted to cover for a while and since there's many, many other options to choose from other than the usual 16th Cav.

Agreed, while pretty cool, those markings have been beaten to death.

While on the subject, I'd love to see someone offer up a new tool 35th scale H-6 series.

Wish I had known these were in the works. I bet I have a few that would have been of interest. Nice looking sheet though.

Ray

Ray, I've not sent them to the printers yet, was planning to do that next week to make sure I didn't find anything needing fixing when I do the profiles over the weekend. So there's still time to possibly adjust the subjects if you have any you can share: info@aoadecals.com - thanks

Ray, I've not sent them to the printers yet, was planning to do that next week to make sure I didn't find anything needing fixing when I do the profiles over the weekend. So there's still time to possibly adjust the subjects if you have any you can share: info@aoadecals.com - thanks

I'll get them to you by the weekend. You can add some of them if you like.

Ray

If you are interested in some unusual OH-6'a, check out the OH-6 thread below.

Ya I had come across those Loaches before. That red marked one would be small enough to include on the sheet probably but it's not clear (to me) based on that pic alone what the style of letters and numbers are.

profiles posted. I ended up added that 4th Cav one as an option since the markings are so tiny and I had room to fit it. The style of lettering is a bit "best guess" unfortunately. Plus this makes it a round number of schemes that will fit the instruction page layout better...

profiles posted. I ended up added that 4th Cav one as an option since the markings are so tiny and I had room to fit it. The style of lettering is a bit "best guess" unfortunately. Plus this makes it a round number of schemes that will fit the instruction page layout better...

Really nice stuff, some great selections for sure. Unless someone releases those "black hole" exhaust diverters in resin, I think ship 220 from C 1/9 Cav is my favorite. BTW, will your decals have some instructions on whether these Loaches had the mini-gun or not?

Really nice stuff, some great selections for sure. Unless someone releases those "black hole" exhaust diverters in resin, I think ship 220 from C 1/9 Cav is my favorite. BTW, will your decals have some instructions on whether these Loaches had the mini-gun or not?

Speaking of the early side exhausts, check this out:

http://www.vietnamwar.govt.nz/photo/hughes-helicopter-chi-lang-1972

It's a photo of Hugh Mills's 17340 with side exhausts. Never seen this photo before. Hugh tells me that the exhausts were mounted in July 72 and he left RVN in August. That's probably him sleeping underneath the back end. The photo was taken at a New Zealand compound (Chi Lang) from which they were flying cross-border ops.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

will your decals have some instructions on whether these Loaches had the mini-gun or not?

Yes.

I forgot to upload the correct latest image of the sheet yesterday. So if anyone noticed, the B/7/17 red/white/blue stripes are incorrectly shown reversed but it's been corrected.

Speaking of the early side exhausts, check this out:

http://www.vietnamwar.govt.nz/photo/hughes-helicopter-chi-lang-1972

It's a photo of Hugh Mills's 17340 with side exhausts. Never seen this photo before. Hugh tells me that the exhausts were mounted in July 72 and he left RVN in August. That's probably him sleeping underneath the back end. The photo was taken at a New Zealand compound (Chi Lang) from which they were flying cross-border ops.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

Cool picture. Mills looks pretty comfortable sleeping in the mud. Sounds like these exhausts might be a bit more common than I originally thought. Maybe that would entice someone to offer them in resin?

Yes.

I forgot to upload the correct latest image of the sheet yesterday. So if anyone noticed, the B/7/17 red/white/blue stripes are incorrectly shown reversed but it's been corrected.

Sorry, i meant to send you some stuff this weekend, but there was a death in the family that took me away.

Ray

When you wish upon a star.....

Floyd

Talk about some good news on a cold, snowy New England night.

Tell your peeps to make this a priority (once they get the Huey out the door)! Not that the Dragon H-6 is horrible but the state of the art has improved immeasurably since that kit came out. I'd love to see what a new-tool OH-6 would look like. So many options out there, not just the Littlebird series but civilian models, foreign militaries, etc.

I hope you give us some addition bits of info once you are able to.

Nice decal sheet.At last a way around the classic "Miss Clawd IV", very nice but much too common.

Any plan for Vietnam Hueys, by the way?

Agree. I mentioned on another forum that Miss Clawd IV (and the rest of the 16 Cav sharkmouths really) are like the stinging bee Skyraider and Cunninghams/Driscoll's MiG killer F-4J schemes. They all look great but are done to death. It seems any OH-6 kit has 16 Cav markings.

I'd consider covering the UH-1C. Not sure if/when it would happen.

A OH-6 medevac???

What's with the red cross on the sides of one of the helicopters?

Pressed into service as one briefly before it was lost in 1969.