New Decals - OH-6A Loach in the Vietnam War

That would be interesting to read about.

Maybe after awhile, Ray can check on it. But not now.

According to Wayne Mutza the gist of it was the 326th tried the Loach out for medevac because it was faster and smaller than the Huey which were suffering great losses but this Loach was also lost after 20 missions.

Loss says it was shot down by RPG!

There's several photos of it before and when it was in the medevac role.

I'd consider covering the UH-1C. Not sure if/when it would happen

Thanks a lot, just take your time to reflect about it.

It's just unbelievable to see an helo built in such a number (16000?) being nearly forgotten in term of decals on the aftermarket.

Even more when you think about all those nose/door arts.

So, again, thanks a lot to think about it.

Thanks a lot, just take your time to reflect about it.

It's just unbelievable to see an helo built in such a number (16000?) being nearly forgotten in term of decals on the aftermarket.

Even more when you think about all those nose/door arts.

So, again, thanks a lot to think about it.

Agreed. I think the only aftermarket decals out there for any Nam Huey are a few (very nice) sets from Fireball. Just have to assume that the vast majority of molders only care about grey jets or planes with swastikas on them. Sad....

Oooh, I'd love to see those pics!

Tim

Loach! by Wayne Mutza has a pic of that medevac loach. Great book, lots of rare pictures of interesting Nam era -6's, many shot up/ shot down. Required reading for anyone interested in this helo. I love the pic of the loach with beer cans used to patch bullet holes!

1459983078[/url]' post='2793054']

Agreed. I think the only aftermarket decals out there for any Nam Huey are a few (very nice) sets from Fireball. Just have to assume that the vast majority of molders only care about grey jets or planes with swastikas on them. Sad....

Didn't know about Fireball, but there's also Werner's wing (IIRC?) and Print Scale (Not too sure about the scale).Certainly a few others, here and there, but not always Vietnam related.

Just for you, Tim. OH-6A 67-16254 of 101st ABN Div. Photo is by Joe Campbell taken August of 1969 shortly before she was shot down on August 17. From the Wayne Mutza collection.

MEDEVAC-16254-A-R-RS_zpszqbymjwf.jpg

Same aircraft, 101st ABN PIO stamp on the back of the print says August 1969. Hard to tell in this scan, but there's a guy sitting in the back - his hand is sticking out the door. Note stripe on upper vertical tail, which is hidden behind a main blade in the color photo posted earlier.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

Same aircraft, 101st ABN PIO stamp on the back of the print says August 1969. Hard to tell in this scan, but there's a guy sitting in the back - his hand is sticking out the door. Note stripe on upper vertical tail, which is hidden behind a main blade in the color photo posted earlier.

Great shot, John! Where did you find that one?

Ray

Great shot, John! Where did you find that one?

Ray

Got it from an on-line auction site recently. It came from the estate of Steve Hansen (1946-2014), who evidently was a combat photographer for the 101st and who took the photo - the print I have has a 101st PIO stamp on the back. Wayne Mutza and I dug up a smaller version a few years ago for his Loach book. The photo was used in a magazine article many, many years ago and it was tough trying to track down a version large enough for a book. I bet there's other photos of that a/c that were taken by Mr. Hansen on the same day that we have yet to see.

Edited by FM-Whip

Got it from an on-line auction site recently. It came from the estate of Steve Hansen (1946-2014), who evidently was a combat photographer for the 101st and who took the photo - the print I have has a 101st PIO stamp on the back. Wayne Mutza and I dug up a smaller version a few years ago for his Loach book. The photo was used in a magazine article many, many years ago and it was tough trying to track down a version large enough for a book. I bet there's other photos of that a/c that were taken by Mr. Hansen on the same day that we have yet to see.

Oh man, John, I'd love to see that entire collection! I'm glad you saved this one.

Ray

When you wish upon a star.....

Floyd

Oh don't tease Floyd! :woot.gif: At least is there a ballpark timeline on it?????

Have done lots of gray birds over the years but keep finding myself going back to 'Nam subjects and feeling frustrated for the lack of 1/35 kits especially the UH-1 and snakes

This OH-6 appears to be one of the 'Calico Cats' belonging to Troop D, 10th Cav. Aircraft looks to rigged for a 'Sniffer Mission' but I am not positive about that.

That is quite interesting. I never knew the OH-6A was used on "people sniffer" missions. Wikipedia offers this in relation to heliborne sniffer equipment.

"XM-3

The XM-3 airborne personnel detector was a helicopter mounted personnel detector and the second version of the people sniffers. The XM-3 used two independent and identical units that operated in two separate modes. In 1970, the XM-3 became the M3 personnel detector; the M3 became standard issue and was employed almost daily in LOH-6, OH-58 and UH-1 helicopters."

It looks like this Loach is fitted with the two independent units. I thought that was a fuel hose but it looks like it could also be the sampling tube for the sniffer equipment. You learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:

LD.

That is quite interesting. I never knew the OH-6A was used on "people sniffer" missions. Wikipedia offers this in relation to heliborne sniffer equipment.

"XM-3

The XM-3 airborne personnel detector was a helicopter mounted personnel detector and the second version of the people sniffers. The XM-3 used two independent and identical units that operated in two separate modes. In 1970, the XM-3 became the M3 personnel detector; the M3 became standard issue and was employed almost daily in LOH-6, OH-58 and UH-1 helicopters."

It looks like this Loach is fitted with the two independent units. I thought that was a fuel hose but it looks like it could also be the sampling tube for the sniffer equipment. You learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:/>

LD.

What is that rig with what I assume are smoke grenades on it? Never seen a solid pink smoke grenade before. Wonder if it was some-sort of automatic launcher? Doesn't look like it's practical for the observer to reach back and grab one.

There's at least two more good photos from the same collection as the one LD posted.

Another of 17361 with the sniffer:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TigerII/media/Vietnam/scan0012.jpg.html

And 17301 also in camo:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TigerII/media/Vietnam/scan0017.jpg.html

There's also a photo of 17361 later when it was with B/7/17 (w/o sniffer) with the addition of their troop marking on the doghouse.