New Decals - OH-6A Loach in the Vietnam War

There's at least two more good photos from the same collection as the one LD posted.

Another of 17361 with the sniffer:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TigerII/media/Vietnam/scan0012.jpg.html

And 17301 also in camo:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TigerII/media/Vietnam/scan0017.jpg.html

There's also a photo of 17361 later when it was with B/7/17 (w/o sniffer) with the addition of their troop marking on the doghouse.

Interesting that the front mesh seats have been stripped out. They look like they have been replaced by canvas seat cushions from a jeep or some other vehicle. You can see them in several photos in that series. All the soundproofing in the back is out too. Weight reduction?

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

All the soundproofing in the back is out too. Weight reduction?

Don't know the reason but it seemed relatively common judging by the amount of photos from all cav regiments (and every troop within) I collected photos of have examples of Loachs with it removed (with one exception, I can't say though for sure with 16 Cav, that's the only cav I skipped.)

Don't know the reason but it seemed relatively common judging by the amount of photos from all cav regiments (and every troop within) I collected photos of have examples of Loachs with it removed (with one exception, I can't say though for sure with 16 Cav, that's the only cav I skipped.)

Don't believe C/16 used the gunner up front method. I flew Cobra's with them in 72&73. You can go here for additional photos.

My link

Don't believe C/16 used the gunner up front method. I flew Cobra's with them in 72&73. You can go here for additional photos.

My link

I don't think we're talking about same issue? I was referring to previous comment about soundproofing removed in the back.

These are now in stock and available to order at www.aoadecals.com

I don't have time to go back up in this thread to look to see if it's already been commented on but here's several points about those decals:

Two OH-6s are shown as being in "unknown units".

16023 could be either 67-16023 or 69-16023. 67-16023 served in 7/1 Cav, HHC 212 Avn Bn, B Co 123 Avn Bn, 142nd TC, and D/1/1 Cav.

69-16023 served in B Co 123 Avn Bn. I'll leave you to figure out which bird it is.

16299 was 67-16299 and served in HHC 3 BDE 1 Cav Div which is what its marking shows.

16435 is on the decal sheet as "B Troop 25 Aviation Battalion" but that should be "B Company 25th Aviation Battalion".

Thanks. I wish you had pointed that out in one of your previous replies when I first posted about the sheets earlier this month, now it's unfortunately too late to correct. The company/troop typo was from too much copying/pasting of the cav troops before it and unfortunately I carried it down too far to the Diamondheads label.

I have 16023 as 67-16023 and believe it to be 123 Avn Bn but I couldn't confirm before the instructions were printed so left it as unknown.

Thanks. I wish you had pointed that out in one of your previous replies when I first posted about the sheets earlier this month, now it's unfortunately too late to correct. The company/troop typo was from too much copying/pasting of the cav troops before it and unfortunately I carried it down too far to the Diamondheads label.

I have 16023 as 67-16023 and believe it to be 123 Avn Bn but I couldn't confirm before the instructions were printed so left it as unknown.

Sorry for not being of more help earlier as I had not been able to look at the decal designs in detail until the day before yesterday.

You could add a small errata sheet printed on a separate piece of paper with updated info.

You could add a small errata sheet printed on a separate piece of paper with updated info.

Ya I know, I've done that in the past on a couple of other releases. Ideally of course I would prefer correct instructions from the start when I can. I noticed a bone-head omission on the upcoming 1/32 T-28 instruction sheet right when I unpacked the instructions yet completely missed it upon multiple reviews before I sent them to print, so that too needed an instruction correction sheet inserted into the package.

Do you have any more photos of the HQ 3rd brigade ones? I still can't find any.

Edited by ziggyfoos

Ya I know, I've done that in the past on a couple of other releases. Ideally of course I would prefer correct instructions from the start when I can. I noticed a bone-head omission on the upcoming 1/32 T-28 instruction sheet right when I unpacked the instructions yet completely missed it upon multiple reviews before I sent them to print, so that too needed an instruction correction sheet inserted into the package.

Do you have any more photos of the HQ 3rd brigade ones? I still can't find any.

You might need to get a small group of "subject matter experts" to scan your stuff prior to issuing it, and not online which is kind of random as somebody may not see what you've posted, like me. More eyes = more chances to catch errors.

As far as the HHC 3rd Brigade 1st Cav OH-6s, I remember seeing a very few photos many years ago but I have no idea where. The problem with these small units is that they had very few aircraft (sometimes only 1 or 2) and they were not well documented, if at all. Many units with aircraft were not aviation units.

I'm not saying my instructions are riddled with errors, only a couple I added corrections (and they're pretty minor really in the grand scheme of things). Having errors bugs me so I at least do attempt to correct any instruction goofs with a correction insert (which unfortunately not everyone else does or admits). I'd also like to think my instructions are some of the better ones out there for detail/thoroughness, though of course I'm biased!

Ya I do have others review, but sometimes SMEs are not always SMEs on every detail or know every scheme to recognize something off in the profile instructions (like the T-28 case) or for me to know who/where SMEs even are.