Im experienced with building aircraft and just now getting into ships after touring the USS Massachusetts on a recent business trip. I picked up an old Arii 1/600 New Jersey at a show and have the sub assemblies built. Question is paint sequence. Is it best to fully assemble and then do extensive masking to paint the top side color and mask again to do the sides the Haze Gray, or do you recommend painting sub assemblies before attaching them? Is it better to paint the sides before the top, vice versa?

Good question! Lots of considerations.

The quick answer is paint as you go, as evidenced by all the tight spaces and narrow gaps.

Just like with planes, the larger the scale, the more small pieces and assemblies that still make for tight spaces a brush or spray won't hit.

"As you go" can include individual parts or assemblies--depends on what you are able to paint to your standards before putting "it" on a larger assembly that may prevent adequate painting.

Also, "Fragile" is a factor. I like to put propeller shafts and guides on before painting but leave the propellors off. They need a different color and are easy to break off.

Generally, paint the hull before adding anything to it (except the decks that go right on the hull).

How will you mask? There are some places where masking can be hours of extra modeling fun if done after assembly (if possible at all, and with lots of high hopes of more modelling fun dealing with seepage under the mask).

A question you may also have is when to add all the tiny stuff--railing, masts, radar, etc. A big part of the answer will come with the answers to painting.

Overall, building assemblies is best. That includes the ability to fill seams and ejector pin marks/dips.

It's a lot like building cockpits and engines, weapons, weapons bay, etc separately, simultaneously.

If you will get aftermarket, get them first before starting to be sure if you'd rather use aftermarket parts before you find you've created more fun by removing a component you'd rather have done the PE/resin/whatever.

Finally, decals can be key factor---last night's club meeting had a frigate. The builder pointed out he had to paint before adding the decals for flight deck and gun warning circles, then assemble. Same situation as plane decals that must be added before parts such as pylons.

For a flush deck battleship like NJ I suggest hull with shafts/guides, attach main deck, fill edges if desired, build each superstructure, funnels if separate, turrets (paint guns before assembly), and small structures (like a deckhouse or other "boxes"). Paint those separately and then bring it all together.

That's great information! I very much appreciate the insight. Your analogy about aircraft cockpits is dead on. I'm really enjoying tackling the different challenges posed by ship building vs aircraft and enhancing my skills. Thanks!