New tool 1/48 Eduard 109 G-6?

"Like"

Brad

Get off your high horse.

I'm interested in accuracy discusisons but the chief red line exponent has a reputation for using poor photos to draw dubious conclusions. His post earlier with the 2 photos is a classic example.

Get off your high horse.

I'm interested in accuracy discusisons but the chief red line exponent has a reputation for using poor photos to draw dubious conclusions. His post earlier with the 2 photos is a classic example.

I literally said anyone should build whatever they like to however they like to. And that is being on a high horse? :rolleyes: If you feel his photos and conclusions are wrong (i dont have an opinion on that myself), that is fine, disagree with it and maybe even post better pictures or write why you feel his conclusions are wrong. You however basically says that he shouldnt be allowed to write or post it because you feel his conclusions are wrong (before he even made them really) - and you are saying that i am on a high horse? Ha, the pot calling the kettle black.

I'll just repost this tidbit from one of the more knowledgeable fellows out there:

"Hi folks

I've been asked to give my feelings about the new Eduard 1:48 109 G6.

I'm not going to rewrite Brett's excellent review but I'll point out some things.

First, the belly you are getting in the kit is not correct for a late G6. The MG151/20 vents with their louvres were discontinued around mid production (late 1943, early 1944) and slots were instead punched directly into the panel.

If you use the drop tank, you don't have to care about that.

Second, there has been a lot of confusion about the cowl gun ports. They DO NOT represent variations of the same cowl but the gun ports configuration used on the "normal" G6 cowls and the G5 cowls (the ones with the little additional bump on the right side). Since a lot of G5 cowls got manufactured but never the corresponding airframes, they just got randomly installed on regular G6s.

So, the part with the "undersized gun port inserts" (part #2) is to be used ONLY if you also use the G5 right bulge (part #5) These parts have nothing to do with G6 or G14, both versions have been seen using both styles of cowling.

Third, the wing bulges are still looking somehow odd to me. I can't point out why, they just look not right. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say it's my eyes... wink.gif

Otherwise it seems that the kit is what it should have been back in 2014. Let's hope Eduard learned a hard lesson on that one : denial never gets you out of trouble !

Cheers

Vincent"

Original post here.

Cheers,

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

I know, you're both right. But it's more like children aren't getting along than a "discussion."

Never going to change this, it's the natural order of things. Always has been and always will. Rivet counters vrs the "looks close enough for me" crew.

Personally, I enjoy these threads. Humorous at times but I typically walk away knowing more about the pro's and con's of a kit. Maybe the info will change my decision to build it, maybe not. But either way, I've got a better understanding of the subject.

Big fan of the new tool kit it is definitely the best 48th 109 on the market now from an accuracy and engineering view from my Eye.

As one of THE guys leading the charge about the original kit At Hyperscale I am very happy with the new one.

Irrespective of what you think of Eduard this is a lovely kit.

The first edition was not a Trumpeter kit with a miss shapen canopy you could get away with by leaving open or a nose issue that in a maintenance situation you could not see.

Sitting next to a correctly dimensioned kit ie Hasegawa it stood out like dogs ba&$@ and looked completely incorrect.

So incorrect my wife could see it was a debacle.

Wrong wing span by almost 3 feet, a hunch back spine and completely messed up gear.

It was simply THE worst most innacurate kit I have ever seen by any major manufacturer.

It didn't subtly miss the mark. the dart missed not the bullseye, not the board, not the wall but it went out the window hitting the neighbour in the forehead..oh and that was after saying they where world comp dart competitors.

Glad to see they have bounced back.

It was simply THE worst most innacurate kit I have ever seen by any major manufacturer.

You obviously didn't see Italeri's 1/72 scale P-47N they produced a few years ago then :)

Edited by Tbolt

You obviously didn't see Italeri's 1/72 scale P-47N they produced a few years ago then :)/>

Nor the Airfix 1/72 F-105G. The only kit I ever purchased and then returned to the hobby shop for my money back after opening it. That was around 1982/83 and it's never been reissued since.

Hello,

I hope it isn't a problem posting my request here. I ordered two sets of 109 overtrees from Eduard, and now I need some decals for them. If you have the new Eduard 109G-6 kit (number 82111), and intend to build it with aftermarket decals, or have

options B and D left over (maybe with stencils), please contact me.

Thanks,

Andy

Big fan of the new tool kit it is definitely the best 48th 109 on the market now from an accuracy and engineering view from my Eye.

I'd have thought the Zvezda Freidrich still owned that crown in terms of accuracy (I've got my issues with their engineering of the nose, but it's still pretty brilliant in terms of nailing down the 109).

I'd have thought the Zvezda Freidrich still owned that crown in terms of accuracy (I've got my issues with their engineering of the nose, but it's still pretty brilliant in terms of nailing down the 109).

I guess that would require a close look and build of both kits, which hopefully someone will do when the Zvezda Gustav turns up.

Never heard of Starfix, dehowie? :bandhead2:/>

Haven't just heard of them I have built them.

And when I was building them I wasn't omparingbthem against plans or other kits..they where being flown around the house engaging in mock dogfights!

Did Starfix run a campaign about how there kits would be the most accurate ever?

I like the Zvezda F-2/F-4 (and probably the G-6) simply because it's not covered with rivets. Eduard's rivet detail is extremely fine, but IMHO in 1/48 it's still way overdone to be anything like accurate.

Did Starfix run a campaign about how there kits would be the most accurate ever?

To be honest I've no idea and would doubt it, but I was responding to this:

Although in hindsight I'm not sure if Starfix was a major manufacturer, so I may be out of line. Perhaps, instead, I could nominate the original-tool Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IX for the crown?

Edited by K5054NZ

Although in hindsight I'm not sure if Starfix was a major manufacturer, so I may be out of line. Perhaps, instead, I could nominate the original-tool Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IX for the crown?

If we are going to talk about extremely inaccurate kits by major manufacturers - how about the old Airfix Il-2 Shturmovik? That model could barely be described as a caricature. Of course, I did build one - in brown and green camouflage and everything :blush:

Edited by Mfezi