New tool 1/48 Eduard 109 G-6?

I have experience with Eduard photo etch detail sets and I have to say some details in them are totally wrong. I m not a 'rivet counter' type but the incorrectness is so obvious. They simply replicate the part detail of the kit in metal and that is it. Just no effort to correct the detail. Thats why I try to avoid their products now.

Here is a built up:

I have to say I see many, many issues: This is not at all equivalent to the Zvezda kit (or Eduard's own Spitfire IX). The way the canopy's rear slant meets the spine: Seems very long/tall... The height/cross-section shape of the fuselage in front of the windscreen... The transitions around the nose/spinner... The wing root fairings look very low... It just looks strange...

The exhaust slots seem tall too (in other pictures)... As usual in all kits, no "step" is visible from the cowling's rear edge to the fuselage (It was a pronounced thick rubber seal "step" that lifted the metal: Zvezda did not get this either)...

Good thing I have the Vector G-2 conversion for the Zvezda...

Robertson

I'd like to see a photo with the camera more level. I think there's a lot of lens distortion in the posted photo.

Bredtt Green has done an inbox review, and included pix, and a comparison with the 2014 release. Go to the Forum. Or, maybe some good soul will provide a link, I can't.

Have no serious opinion on the kit, but Brett has never found a "free kit" that he didn't like. I trust the average Joe on here a lot better to call out the pluses and minuses. A bad review means no more free stuff!

gary

Have no serious opinion on the kit, but Brett has never found a "free kit" that he didn't like. I trust the average Joe on here a lot better to call out the pluses and minuses. A bad review means no more free stuff!

gary

I'm just finishing up the revised 109 and Brett's review is pretty much on target. The kit builds up very nicely.

Dave

I'm just finishing up the revised 109 and Brett's review is pretty much on target. The kit builds up very nicely.

Dave

Just looking at the nose area, I see at least three issues and maybe a fourth and fifth. None are what I call "fatal." The spinner looks kind of blunt in the photo, but that could jut be my old eyeballs. Anyway never counted it as an issue. Some spoke about the exhaust being located wrong. I looked at several photos, and in some it does look high. Others it's fine. They used at least three different supercharger intakes (a major error Green made with his Revell review). Looking at an odd angle the oil cooler intake looks off, but once again I think it's the angle we're showen. Rest is easy to see up front with a good look. Still it's a good kit, but not as good as a few others.

gary

I'm about to read Brett Green's review but I also saw an in-box preview at Britmodeller last night and there's a lot of kit in the box for the money - three different vertical stabs and a nice handful of canopy options, for example. Sorry I can't link to the very informative review but for some reason BM is marked as "malicious content" on my work PC!

Just looking at the nose area, I see at least three issues and maybe a fourth and fifth.

Care to elucidate?

Some spoke about the exhaust being located wrong. I looked at several photos, and in some it does look high. Others it's fine.

Compared to what?

They used at least three different supercharger intakes (a major error Green made with his Revell review).

If you picked enough nits, there were probably more than three. The problem is, with any such project, at some point you have to stick a fork in it and call it done. You could go on forever trying to nail every permutation and combination of parts ever fitted to a Bf109.

Still it's a good kit, but not as good as a few others.

Based on???

Care to elucidate?

Compared to what?

If you picked enough nits, there were probably more than three. The problem is, with any such project, at some point you have to stick a fork in it and call it done. You could go on forever trying to nail every permutation and combination of parts ever fitted to a Bf109.

Based on???

go find some photos for starters. I took the time, and I'm sure you have the time.

gary

Have the kit from this weekends Moson show as well as an extra cockpit set. Had the old version too so there is a comparison. I propose that all who question the authenticity of the kit should get it first and have a close look at it. Of course the choice is yours and no one forces you to buy it, but if based on the above photos you are convinced that this new kit is bad you are free to get any other manufacturers 109.

Personally I like it while we all know that there is no 100% kit. I do appreciate that Eduard took the time, spent a lots of money and made a second effort to make a good kit. Let’s not forget that all this was in response to valid criticism. How many manufacturers do you know who would do the same?

Come to think of it there is one thing I don’t like about the new 109 kit. There are no Hungarian AF markings in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I will have to get decals from somewhere else or make them myself.

Best regards

Gabor

Come to think of it there is one thing I don't like about the new 109 kit. There are no Hungarian AF markings in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I will have to get decals from somewhere else or make them myself.

I'll gladly send you some as I have enough to spare. You know how to contact me.

Regards,

I do appreciate that Eduard took the time, spent a lots of money and made a second effort to make a good kit. Let’s not forget that all this was in response to valid criticism. How many manufacturers do you know who would do the same?

To be fair, they also berated and belittled all those modellers who dared criticize their 'ultimate' -109 by daring to point out its numerous, substantial faults. They disputed the fact that there were errors, then they disputed the magnitude of those errors, then they disputed whether the errors were even noticeable, then they claimed modellers shouldn't care. In fact, they tried to downplay the issues for *months*, while pushing the even-more-expensive Royal Class kit out the door, before finally bowing to pressure and re-tooling the kit.

Which, frankly, suggests to me that Eduard didn't give a toss about the criticism, and whether the kit was right or wrong. I'd be willing to bet money that the only reason Eduard finally bit the bullet and decided to re-tool the kit, is that it simply wasn't selling. It's pretty clear from reading Vladimir's comments that, if the kit sold well enough, they'd have left it as-is. They didn't decide to fix it, money be damned, out of an altruistic desire to produce a more accurate model. They decided to fix it because leaving it alone was costing them money.

It's exactly the same reason why Trumpeter revised their 1/32 Wildcat.

To be fair, they also berated and belittled all those modellers who dared criticize their 'ultimate' -109 by daring to point out its numerous, substantial faults. They disputed the fact that there were errors, then they disputed the magnitude of those errors, then they disputed whether the errors were even noticeable, then they claimed modellers shouldn't care. In fact, they tried to downplay the issues for *months*, while pushing the even-more-expensive Royal Class kit out the door, before finally bowing to pressure and re-tooling the kit.

Which, frankly, suggests to me that Eduard didn't give a toss about the criticism, and whether the kit was right or wrong.

I think it had to do with getting the Royal Class one out the door...

Regards,

I read Brett Green's review, it's strange he didn't mention the folks responsible for the majority of error-finding/nit-picking with the original came from his own forum!

Were I ever to need/desire another post-E 1/48 109 - I've done both examples I wanted to build - I'd be very happy with this one based on the sprue photos alone. It looks like a lovely kit and great value for money with all the alternate bits.

And that is a bad thing? If you dont care about accuracy just buy the kit and build it. And while at it, might as well buy the original, 1/46 scale kit.

Get off your high horse.

I'm interested in accuracy discusisons but the chief red line exponent has a reputation for using poor photos to draw dubious conclusions. His post earlier with the 2 photos is a classic example.

Edited by a4s4eva

Just looking at the nose area, I see at least three issues and maybe a fourth and fifth. None are what I call "fatal." The spinner looks kind of blunt in the photo, but that could jut be my old eyeballs. Anyway never counted it as an issue. Some spoke about the exhaust being located wrong. I looked at several photos, and in some it does look high. Others it's fine. They used at least three different supercharger intakes (a major error Green made with his Revell review). Looking at an odd angle the oil cooler intake looks off, but once again I think it's the angle we're showen. Rest is easy to see up front with a good look. Still it's a good kit, but not as good as a few others.

gary

OMG, how does it compare to the kits you designed?

Everyone has the chance to go out and take a look at the real aircraft, take a photo of it, measure it, compare it to the kit in hand and make a final decision on accuracy. Fortunately there are 109’s all around the world. Yes it costs money, some organization and time to go to a museum and do this. I know Eduard did this and not only with a single 109 in designing the “second” or should I say “bis” version of the kit.

One can do desktop/google research in the comfort of their home, compare archive b/w photos with kit sprues but it does not really compare with looking at the real aircraft.

Something like this:

MFbis3.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Everyone has the chance to go out and take a look at the real aircraft, take a photo of it, measure it, compare it to the kit in hand and make a final decision on accuracy. Fortunately there are 109’s all around the world. Yes it costs money, some organization and time to go to a museum and do this. I know Eduard did this and not only with a single 109 in designing the “second” or should I say “bis” version of the kit.

One can do desktop/google research in the comfort of their home, compare archive b/w photos with kit sprues but it does not really compare with looking at the real aircraft.

Something like this:

MFbis3.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Which, frankly, suggests to me that Eduard didn't give a toss about the criticism, and whether the kit was right or wrong. I'd be willing to bet money that the only reason Eduard finally bit the bullet and decided to re-tool the kit, is that it simply wasn't selling. It's pretty clear from reading Vladimir's comments that, if the kit sold well enough, they'd have left it as-is. They didn't decide to fix it, money be damned, out of an altruistic desire to produce a more accurate model. They decided to fix it because leaving it alone was costing them money.

It's exactly the same reason why Trumpeter revised their 1/32 Wildcat.

^^^^^^^ Exactly. After the "bunny" crap they pulled around the MiG-21 criticism, and then their Bf109 debacle, I lost any semblance of respect I ever had for Vladimir Sulc. They put out some great products, but his hubris turns me off.

OMG, how does it compare to the kits you designed?

Do you have to be a master chef to have an opinion on whether your food is good?

Your comment is utterly nonsensical. You're saying that if you're not a model kit designer, you're not entitled to have an opinion on model kits. That's just dumb.

Edited by Jennings

Best reply I've read in this thread. Thanks Gabor!! :)

Cheers

Brad

Have the kit from this weekends Moson show as well as an extra cockpit set. Had the old version too so there is a comparison. I propose that all who question the authenticity of the kit should get it first and have a close look at it. Of course the choice is yours and no one forces you to buy it, but if based on the above photos you are convinced that this new kit is bad you are free to get any other manufacturers 109.

Personally I like it while we all know that there is no 100% kit. I do appreciate that Eduard took the time, spent a lots of money and made a second effort to make a good kit. Let’s not forget that all this was in response to valid criticism. How many manufacturers do you know who would do the same?

Come to think of it there is one thing I don’t like about the new 109 kit. There are no Hungarian AF markings in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I will have to get decals from somewhere else or make them myself.

Best regards

Gabor