I was looking at this kit tonight and I noticed that it has the Formation Lights on the sides of it, which would make the kit an S mod instead of a J mod. But, looking at the wings they are normal, no leading edge slats. I was wondering if anybody else has come across this also? And what did you do about it?

If it is the 1/48 kit, Hasegawa uses a common fuselage tooling for both since it is a lot easier to delete etched details than add them (also a reason why the tooling has both the IFR probe door on the right side of the nose and an etching on the spine for the USAF style opening). All you have to do is fill and sand the slime light recesses, job done.

+1

To add to what Jay has said here, the original issue of the Hasegawa F-4J had raised panel lines. So when Hasegawa started producing the E,F,G, and S variants, all had recessed panel lines. Thus instead of re-tooling a fuselage specifically for the J that just packaged the "S" fuselage in the J kits. If you look closely at the kit instructions, they do have you to remove the slime lights and the USAF style IFR receptacle from the spline. Just like they also specify to install the "hooks" on the underside for the catapult attachments. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)