Tesla Model 3 - WOOF!!!

What's the electric cost compared to gasoline at the pump? I've always wondered that. Would love to get one but if it tripled my electric bill and cost more than a gasoline car then that would just seem like throwing money away.

Yes yes planet and all but unfortunately I'm not a comfortable enough place to only care about the planet.

I'm not all that impressed now, but in ten years this could be very interesting. In Colorado with the amount of sun we received I had thoughts of putting in a solar panel along with their powerwall battery. Mix in a hybrid gasoline/electic awd SUV that's kid and dog friendly and we're in business. I'll still always keep a gasoline truck though!

They don't look like they'd take up too much room in a landfill I guess but I wonder how hot the interior gets with the big sunroof top and if it takes more electricity to cool off the passengers. Of course I guess if you walked behind it and pushed it that would be the best of all worlds. You get to exercise, don't have to cool yourself as much and you have a hip car. I'm in. Also, the filling err...charging stations do look really cool. Kind of 5th element-isque.

Bill

sorry, just kidding. They are kind of cool looking.

It didn't seem very hot inside when I had it for the day, summer in S.C. The big issue is the need to replace the batteries. Their life depends on how hard you drive the car (we ran it in insane mode because it wasn't ours!). I think they last around 7 years then you have a nice big bill to pay for new batteries. Certainly not a road trip car either due to limited range. Tons of fun but a big leap in battery technology is required to make these truly practical.

It didn't seem very hot inside when I had it for the day, summer in S.C. The big issue is the need to replace the batteries. Their life depends on how hard you drive the car (we ran it in insane mode because it wasn't ours!). I think they last around 7 years then you have a nice big bill to pay for new batteries. Certainly not a road trip car either due to limited range. Tons of fun but a big leap in battery technology is required to make these truly practical.

That is not true at all. Batteries do loose capacity and as of now the rule of thumb is that it looses 0.5% every 10 000 miles. But the capacity loss is "quick" at start and then it levels off and it will take many many cycles (we are talking about like 500k miles...) to reach 70-80% of the capacity. And it is not like the batteries are just dead then and the car is undriveable. Their life doesnt either depend on how hard you drive the car, what effects the battery capacity is number of cycles and charging style. IE leaving battery at 100% or <10% will effect it which should be easy to control by simply having charging set at 90% and try to charge it every now and then to not get below a certain %.

As to road trip, there are superchargers.

Edited by Berkut

Don't know if this is any indication of anything, BUT a side anecdote about my experience with cell phones could be one possible outlook into rechargeable car tech.

My first phone was a nokia. the batteries lasted a pretty good amount of time and I think in the 4 or so years I owned it it had the same battery. Granted, it was pretty much just a phone (I know right, who has JUST a phone?) Anyway, time to replace the battery came and I was convinced to upgrade to a "new" flip phone....WITH A CAMERA! I was like, wow. A phone with a camera? that's cool. So I got rid of the "old" junk phone. (I'm sure it's in some 1st year art students masterpiece somewhere but whatever, I had one of those "flip" phones). the battery needed replacing about 1 1/2 years after getting it. I take it to the phone store and lo-and-behold, it's a museum piece (according to the teen working there) and those batteries aren't even made to fit it anymore. If I insist on keeping the flip phone...I'll need to special order one from a third party...which BTW they may explode. BUT I can upgrade my old phone for a new HTC EVO 3D!!! YES! That's awesome. It is a smart phone! of course I pretty much had to stay nestled next to wall outlet but I could surf the internet while I charged my phone so it's all good. Then suddenly THAT phone starts actiing wonky and the battery swelled up to about twice it's thickness and oh yeah, they don't make those batteries either anymore unless I want to buy a chinese made explosive prone battery. So NOW I have this really awesome device, I think it has a phone ap in it somewhere....

I think we are looking at what will be the typical car on the road within 15 years or so. Truly groundbreaking - until now, electric cars were just impractical oddities. Will be interesting to see how the big 3 US automakers try to keep up.

Go Tesla!

What's the electric cost compared to gasoline at the pump? I've always wondered that. Would love to get one but if it tripled my electric bill and cost more than a gasoline car then that would just seem like throwing money away.

Yes yes planet and all but unfortunately I'm not a comfortable enough place to only care about the planet.

If you live or drive close enough to a Tesla Supercharging station, it costs nothing. You get free access to them.

You've never road trip'd Murica have you?

Actually, Tesla is setting up a massive network of charging stations (much like gas stations) all over the US on the interstates. The goal is to create a network where you can quickly recharge your car in 30 minutes using "super" chargers and get back on the road.

Here's a link with more info

As for the new car.....the front end looks somewhat plain and unfinished....but I love their products. I'll go for one of their cars when they come out with a sexy low 2 seater (and not the original Lotus model).

where i live (québec, canada.) is probably the place where electricity is the less expensive in the world, a friend of mine who have a nissan leaf 2015, told me that a 70% recharge cost hime approximately 0.65 cas$ (for slightly more than 100km)

he got his car at a reasonnable price (28k can$) ...i know its more expensive than a comparable hybrid or gazoline car... but all in all, i think you can manage good savings if its what you're looking for, with an electric car.

so my guess, it's that even if you pay two or three time higher electric rates than I, you can get a winning situation. and as Jennings wrote, its (still) cost nothing for Tesla owner to use Tesla's Supercharging station...

Edited by mingwin

By the end of 2016:

Screen_Shot_2016_04_01_at_9_01_33_PM.png

Not nearly enough and limits your routes, I'll pass. Nor do I want to be hooked up to a supercharger for half an hour every 150-175 miles. In cases of emergency you're screwed, which has happened to me a half dozen times since I've been stationed in middle America for the past six years.

The Tesla dealer about an hour or so from me had a line forming outside their door before they even opened on Thursday. I'm still kind of up in the air on Tesla. They are a very high end vehicle, but there is nothing that really makes them stand out. The ones I've seen didn't really look all that different from, say, a Toyota Camry or Honda. I really had to do a "Whoa...that's a Tesla!" double take. I'm sure they are very well built cars, but if I'm going to put out that much cash for a vehicle, I want people to really notice it.