Those deceptive quarter lights

Yeah, deceptive. Logic would call them interior areas, thus being the same color as an airplane's interior. I'm talking about those areas behind the cockpit, through which the pilot was able to get a glance rearward, that existed on P-40s, Birdcage Corsairs, and Razorback Thunderbolts. Well amigos, they are not considered interior areas, and throwing all logic to the winds, coming from the factory, they were painted to match the exterior, plain and simple. There are variations, in field applied camo schemes, for instance, P-47s that came out in NMF, and field repainted in OD, or RAF Dark Green, or whatever, F4U1s that have been field or depot repainted in the 3 tone scheme (Sorry Dana B), and P-40s sold to the Brits, and repainted by them in RAF camo schemes. When depots, or field units neede d to repaint airplanes, they usually had those of an entire outfit to do, and the planes were needed on the front line, SAP. There was little time, and probably less inclination, to go through the work needed to remove that glass to repaint that area, Thus usually, they were masked oiff, and left untouched

By the way, check out the Hawk 81s the RAF gave to the Flying Tigers, the factory applied scheme shows a camo dividing line, going right through that area. It's so sad to me to see an excellently built and painted model of one of these birds, and then note an interior color, where none should be.

Well Jennings, probably not to you, or such as Dana Bell, but the evidence appears almost daily on the various modeling sites, that it would be to a great many modelers, including some that do most enviable work. I felt it would be useful to point it out in simple language, and maybe help out a few modelers who pay attention. Have seen several Razorback Jugs on this site, and Hyperscale, that were beautifully turned out, and for me, at least, spoiled by showing an interior color behind the quarter light glass. Ditto P-40s. I would prefer to not point out individual examples, so as to not hurt anyone's feelings.

Same goes for the rear decking under the aft canopy of P-40Ns. I can't count the number of otherwise nicely done Olive Drab Ns with (incorrect) bright Interior Green rear decking.

And don't get me started on B-17 exhaust stains.... ;)

SN

Edited by Steve N

Same goes for the rear decking under the aft canopy of P-40Ns. I can't count the number of otherwise nicely done Olive Drab Ns with (incorrect) bright Interior Green rear decking.

And don't get me started on B-17 exhaust stains.... ;)/>

SN

Are you talking about the vents on the topside of the wings? Modelers love to show grime and soot coming out of the vents, but it appears to me that the grime is "between them."

Aaron

Are you talking about the vents on the topside of the wings? Modelers love to show grime and soot coming out of the vents, but it appears to me that the grime is "between them."

Aaron

Yep..my biggest B-17 modeling pet peeve (along with wildly inaccurate interior colors.) In reality there is no exhaust on the top of the wing, just oil and crud thrown back from the engines..which is deflected by the clean, hot air coming out of the wing vents.

SN

1459703275[/url]' post='2792177']

Yep..my biggest B-17 modeling pet peeve (along with wildly inaccurate interior colors.) In reality there is no exhaust on the top of the wing, just oil and crud thrown back from the engines..which is deflected by the clean, hot air coming out of the wing vents.

SN

Yep, I've noticed that too. By far, the majority make that mistake.

Aaron

SN

And make sure you NEVER tell anyone of these mistakes either. It'd be safer to murder their dog or something I think.

Alas because a currently flying warbird is green on the inside then they all must have been. They would never paint the warbirds wrong. Never.

Le sigh

I'm always very careful offering corrections. I follow a couple of groups on Fecebook (one general scale modeling group, and a B-17 modeling group.) People are constantly posting "in progress" shots of B-17s interiors painted Interior Green (or Zinc Chromate) or finished models with big black soot stains coming out of the wing vents. Unfortunately even the most politely-worded corrections are often seen as attacks or insults. Sadly, when most people solicit comments, they're really just trolling for compliments.

SN

Edited by Steve N
I felt it would be useful to point it out in simple language, and maybe help out a few modelers who pay attention. Have seen several Razorback Jugs on this site, and Hyperscale, that were beautifully turned out, and for me, at least, spoiled by showing an interior color behind the quarter light glass. Ditto P-40s. I would prefer to not point out individual examples, so as to not hurt anyone's feelings.

I didn't know this and was glad it was pointed out to me, while I'm doing a Pearl Harbor P-40B, that I should not paint the area with the interior colour. I assumed being behind glass so to speak, it would be an interior colour.

Unfortunately even the most politely-worded corrections are often seen as attacks or insults. Sadly, when most people solicit comments, they're really just trolling for compliments.

It's a shame a correction can't be given these days without being it been seen as an attack or insult. If someone corrects/informs me, I can choose whether to agree or disagree with it, to use the information or not to use it. How can I learn/improve if no one points out the good as well as the bad ?? I've tried posting in the Critique Corner, but my experiance is you either get no response or just the nice job compliment.

I'm always very careful offering corrections. I follow a couple of groups on Fecebook (one general scale modeling group, and a B-17 modeling group.) People are constantly posting "in progress" shots of B-17s interiors painted Interior Green (or Zinc Chromate) or finished models with big black soot stains coming out of the wing vents. Unfortunately even the most politely-worded corrections are often seen as attacks or insults. Sadly, when most people solicit comments, they're really just trolling for compliments.

SN

Yep. There's one guy on there building a quite amazing 1/32 17 with a full crew. The crew figures look amazing and the build is good. Except everything inside is green. I've shyed away from that one since I'm sure I'd be blocked probably.

Yet another not too long ago showed a Fort he was building for a veteran. Horrible black stains behind the air vents with nothing coming from the engines. I showed a picture of the real things and said it was wrong and needed changed but otherwise it all looked great.

"I'll remember for next time"

Why not just fix it now? I've never been one to think there aren't people that know more than I.