IIAF F-86F-40 Sabre

Todays precious modelling time was spent tweaking the MLG bays...

Put a couple of pieces of plasticard over the holes I made...

IMG_2730_zpsatpy7s4q.jpg

Looks decent enough, but to my dismay I discovered that the MLG bays are misaligned! I doubt much will show but it´s annoying none the less.

IMG_2731_zpsztcmq5ot.jpg

Then I trimmed, and sanded for a while too see that the lower wing fit into the fuselage....that´s good enough.

IMG_2732_zpsrbf5tly1.jpg

Next I trimmed and sanded to get the upper wings to fit over the new wheel bays.....that works too :D

IMG_2733_zpsrqotlzsv.jpg

And with both wings fitted and clamped it looks alright :D I haven´t glued yet since I´m waiting for the slats to arrive...more cutting and tweaking to do :P

IMG_2734_zpsvbemmoc9.jpg

Now, that´s all I had to show for today.

Cheers!

Janne,

That's more then enough for one work session.  Those wheel wells really look sensational, and you got them to fit just fine.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

<div>Janne,</div><div><br></div><div>That's more then enough for one work session.  Those wheel wells really look sensational, and you got them to fit just fine. </div><div>Joel

</div>

Thanx Joel :D/>

:bandhead2:/>/> :bandhead2:/>/> You....You....You......you whet our appetites showing a steak...and then....when it's serving time you give us only the aroma...tain't fair Janne

LOL, now Clif you know you can't feed starving ppl with something as rich as a steak all of a sudden. You have to start with something lighter to get accustomed to eating again.

Edited by Aigore

FYI, Hasegawa and others have the position of the drop tank pylons wrong. The correct position should be 53mm from the centreline(in 1/48).

Cheers, Tony

Thanx Tony, you got references on that? Not that I doubt you but I'd like a double check on tbat before I start drilling holes :D

Thanx Tony, you got references on that? Not that I doubt you but I'd like a double check on tbat before I start drilling holes :D/>/>

Station 99.5" is where they are.

this pic will illustrate where the pylon is positioned in relation to the flap/aileron join;

04.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Station 99.5" is where they are.

this pic will illustrate where the pylon is positioned in relation to the flap/aileron join;

04.jpg

Cheers, Tony

Tony; inquiry....when the gasbag gets jettisoned does that support brace...go with it or?

MAking holes and filling others...

As Tony kindly pointed out, the gasbag pylons are too far out....so I have to make new holes 53mm from the center and fill the old ones I drilled earlier :P

I marked the new spots with a pen and as you can see the difference is substantual!

IMG_2735_zps6appmhcz.jpg

I drilled new holes...

IMG_2737_zpscfqimr3k.jpg

And prepared to fill the old ones with drawn sprue.

IMG_2738_zpsza8yaino.jpg

Nothing fancy, just stuck them into the holes and glued them in place.

IMG_2739_zpszfplz80k.jpg

While the glue cured I primed some stuff in grey and black Alclad primer....take no heed to the white stuff :P

IMG_2740_zpsj6nrwd87.jpg

I cut the drawn sprues down to size...sanded

IMG_2741_zpsv5lre3vp.jpg

And put a lil´bit of putty ontop just to be sure.

IMG_2743_zps0uxzdqod.jpg

While the putty cured I painted the intake trunk and the exhaust...I spent yesterday with taking care of injectionmarks and outtying them up and sand them down.

IMG_2744_zpspvcmsel4.jpg

And there, the holes are gone :D

IMG_2745_zpsmnmgqcj3.jpg

Cheers!

Janne,

You're making great progress on a daily basis. It's pretty easy to tell just how into this build you are. Your Mojo on a scale of 10-1 must be a solid 10.1!

Nicely done with those wing station adjustments.

Joel

Janne, you may already be aware of this, but, a lot of fellas here have their Sabre speedbrakes deployed like 'barn doors'. Here is a pic illustrating the correct droop when they are extended;

detail%20speedbrake%20droop_zpssfu768yi.jpg

Cheers, tony

Janne,

You're making great progress on a daily basis. It's pretty easy to tell just how into this build you are. Your Mojo on a scale of 10-1 must be a solid 10.1!

Nicely done with those wing station adjustments.

Joel

Could be the lighter days having effect on me :D Spring is finally here :D

Janne, you may already be aware of this, but, a lot of fellas here have their Sabre speedbrakes deployed like 'barn doors'. Here is a pic illustrating the correct droop when they are extended;

detail%20speedbrake%20droop_zpssfu768yi.jpg

Cheers, tony

Great pic, was almost hopoing they would be closed....wonder how the insides of the wheel bays and airbarkes were painted on the IIAF machines?

Great pic, was almost hopoing they would be closed....wonder how the insides of the wheel bays and airbarkes were painted on the IIAF machines?

Well if were me, I would go with the standard 'Interior Green'. Not much reference material available to dispute that about IIAF machines.

Cheers, Tony

Well if were me, I would go with the standard 'Interior Green'. Not much reference material available to dispute that about IIAF machines.

Cheers, Tony

I'm considering running with that, just a thought since the cockpit is in gray and not interior green perhaps other things are different too :D

A couple of days with no updates made me itching to do something :D

First off a bit of Alclad Chrome on the gasbags...thought I´d see how shiny they got, not sure I´ll keep them as shiny.

IMG_2746_zpsunfft7js.jpg

Then I dusted on some FS36375 on top of the cockpit parts :D

IMG_2747_zpsy5xyhhbk.jpg

And painted the tips of the M117´s pink...

IMG_2748_zpszsuen2t9.jpg

Painted the oleos in chrome and then I´m going to replace the scissor links with PE.

IMG_2749_zpsfrz0krxu.jpg

I cut off the plastic links...

IMG_2750_zps58kgjiyw.jpg

MAsked the oleos..

IMG_2751_zpsl0tnefm1.jpg

PAinted them and the wheel hubs in Alclad White Aluminium.

IMG_2752_zpsxx7lrexx.jpg

Unmasked and glued on the new PE links.

IMG_2753_zpsnjbarowy.jpg

And finally painted the boms in Chrome yellow.

IMG_2754_zpsnwqrmruj.jpg

Cheers!

Great work. Question: Do you always paint pink under your yellows? Does that help bring out the yellow color?

Indeed,the yellow comes out richer and with few coats. Chrome yellow and German yellow benefits from a pink undecoat if you want a paler, lemon yellow you don't need the pink.

Janne,

A most impressive upgrade on the struts. Those oleos look great. Just like F20D, I was wondering why you used a base coat of Pink under the yellow. I've never heard of that before. Will have to try it next time I have some yellow to paint, but I really don't think it pays to go that far for prop tips.

For what it's worth, I'd kill some of that shine on the gas tanks, and add a dirty wash to both of them.

Joel

Janne,

A most impressive upgrade on the struts. Those oleos look great. Just like F20D, I was wondering why you used a base coat of Pink under the yellow. I've never heard of that before. Will have to try it next time I have some yellow to paint, but I really don't think it pays to go that far for prop tips.

For what it's worth, I'd kill some of that shine on the gas tanks, and add a dirty wash to both of them.

Joel

Thanx Joel :D

Only takes a couple of minutes to shoot the pink and clean the AB to shoot the yellow. Yellow works pretty well on a white base coatbas well.

Yeah, the gasbags are way to shiny need to take them down a notch or two.

The real shape of a nose gear leg. I don't know what Hasegawa or Academy were thinking. I have used a Monogram nose leg in the past, it's a bit thick but has the proper nice curve, not a silly angle.

Nosegear.jpg

Cheers, Tony