IIAF F-86F-40 Sabre

Decals under way...

First a gloss coat all over...it´s Future/Klear

IMG_2915_zpssawvx0xn.jpg

And then I put on the Hi-decal decals, really thin and you ha ve to handle them with care...of course I managed to ruin some but luckily there`s spares to use on the sheet :D

IMG_2916_zps2grkh3gl.jpg

IMG_2917_zpsttqobqd6.jpg

Those were the fun decals...next I´ll be busy puttin on a gazillion stencils :/

Cheers!

I thought I was the only person who painted his wheel wells AFTER the overall color! So much easier, right!

Beautiful painting.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I actually do it both ways, sometimes it's easier to detail and paint thevwells before they are installed. Demands some creative masking however :P

Hi, Janne!

Thought I'd take the opportunity to ask you something related to the displaying of the speedbrakes on your build. It's widely known that the hinges of the speedbrakes on the Hasegawa kit are wrong, as, if displayed open, the doors are gonna be in the wrong angle; hence, they'd look much like barn doors.

I was thinking to ask you whether you were gonna display the speedbrakes open on your build and, if so, you were gonna resort to using aftermarket corrections, as those CMK offer.

Do you (or anyone else peeping at this thread), happen to know if the angle of the hinges on the CMK speedbrakes resin correction is 45º or is it 90º as in the Hasegawa kit?

Cheers, Janne.

Hi, Janne!

Thought I'd take the opportunity to ask you something related to the displaying of the speedbrakes on your build. It's widely known that the hinges of the speedbrakes on the Hasegawa kit are wrong, as, if displayed open, the doors are gonna be in the wrong angle; hence, they'd look much like barn doors.

I was thinking to ask you whether you were gonna display the speedbrakes open on your build and, if so, you were gonna resort to using aftermarket corrections, as those CMK offer.

Do you (or anyone else peeping at this thread), happen to know if the angle of the hinges on the CMK speedbrakes resin correction is 45º or is it 90º as in the Hasegawa kit?

Cheers, Janne.

Well, since the air brakes are open when hydralic preassure is lost I will display them open. I see no need of aftermarket since the in box air brakes look good enough :D/> I will follow references and adjust the air brakes accordingly :)/>

Reference picture

http://www.saairforce.co.za/seed/public/files/gallery/3/9/49/533027ba2d802_large.jpg

Edited by Aigore

There, finally all decals done!

I used the HAsegawa stencils, they´re a bit thicker than Hi-decals...you can see the difference in places if you look carefully.

I sealed the decals with a couple of coats of future/Klear and it´s ready for weathering :D

IMG_2918_zpsgjydbpt5.jpg

IMG_2919_zps588fltfq.jpg

IMG_2920_zpsjr3rgcta.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsxciv61gu.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsjzqavcm3.jpg

IMG_2923_zpsakdhcoon.jpg

What´s left?

Undercarriage

Antennas

Pylons

Detail painting

Weathering

final assembly and a flat coat..

Cheers!

Well, since the air brakes are open when hydralic preassure is lost I will display them open. I see no need of aftermarket since the in box air brakes look good enough :D/>/>/>/>/> I will follow references and adjust the air brakes accordingly :)/>/>/>/>/>

Reference picture

http://www.saairforce.co.za/seed/public/files/gallery/3/9/49/533027ba2d802_large.jpg

Great looking build. I'm going to track down those KASL slats for my next Sabre builds.

Your statement above is incorrect about the speed brakes. There is a mechanical latch that keeps the speedbrakes closed as well as the actuator is hydraulically locked due to the architecture of the system. To open them on the ground a person has to operate the 'dump valve control' to release the hydraulic lock and then use a screw driver to release the mechanical lock through a small access hole in the speed brake.

In short if the plane is shut down with the speed brakes closed they will remain closed indefinitely unless manually opened.

Cheers,

John

Well, since the air brakes are open when hydralic preassure is lost I will display them open. I see no need of aftermarket since the in box air brakes look good enough :D I will follow references and adjust the air brakes accordingly :)

Your statement above is incorrect about the speed brakes. There is a mechanical latch that keeps the speedbrakes closed as well as the actuator is hydraulically locked due to the architecture of the system. To open them on the ground a person has to operate the 'dump valve control' to release the hydraulic lock and then use a screw driver to release the mechanical lock through a small access hole in the speed brake.

Ah, Janne... fight_zpsmvmyzlnm.gif

Great looking build. I'm going to track down those KASL slats for my next Sabre builds.

In short if the plane is shut down with the speed brakes closed they will remain closed indefinitely unless manually opened.

Cheers,

John

I stand corrected, thanx John :D

Ah, Janne... fight_zpsmvmyzlnm.gif

Please don´t hurt me :P

Oki, I did the fun thing and started weathering :D/>

This will be the last update for a while, going on vacation tomorrow to see family for a week or so :D/>

I´ll be a little longer update, even a two parter but I guess you all alright with that..

I started with a thin panleline wash, a mix of black and raw umber oils.

IMG_2924_zpsfsgymiel.jpg

IMG_2925_zpsqmoayfan.jpg

and wiped it off..

IMG_2926_zpsird5dc1y.jpg

IMG_2927_zpsjjwjoyrc.jpg

Next it was time for all these babies :P/>

IMG_2928_zps0mi10sjn.jpg

Making streaks, just doting the goo here and there...

IMG_2930_zpsvtggc5km.jpg

and wipe it off in the wind direction

IMG_2931_zpswvakypdo.jpg

faint and not overly done, it´s very easy to wipe it off from a gloss surface.

IMG_2933_zpsrcijqvh2.jpg

Another goo and the same procedure.

IMG_2934_zpsu94w5dku.jpg

More in part 2

Part 2

Then I went in with pigment powders, adding them with a slightly damp brush.

IMG_2935_zpszgorfac9.jpg

and the piece de resistance, Tamyia make up kits :D

IMG_2936_zps0kgyson6.jpg

And when done I sealed it all with a Alclad matt coat and demasked it, some overspray ang glue from tape left on the canopy but I´ll deal with that when I get home. just a cotton swab and lukewarmwater with detergent :D

IMG_2937_zpsbpk79qx1.jpg

IMG_2938_zpsosns2jrn.jpg

IMG_2939_zps1pgu3bvv.jpg

IMG_2940_zpsv9avigiz.jpg

IMG_2941_zpsnur8ouid.jpg

well I´m fairly pleased with the weathering ....now off to packing!

Cheers!

:woot.gif: :woot.gif: :woot.gif: :woot.gif: :woot.gif:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

...what else could be said?

BTW: You are surely aware that your Sabre will be the first ever correct rendering of a camouflaged Iranian Sabre - Do you !?! :D :thumbsup:

Edited by Diego

:woot.gif:/> :woot.gif:/> :woot.gif:/> :woot.gif:/> :woot.gif:/>

:wub:/> :wub:/> :wub:/> :wub:/> :wub:/>

...what else could be said?

BTW: You are surely aware that your Sabre will be the first ever correct rendering of a camouflaged Iranian Sabre - Do you !?! :D/> :thumbsup:/>

Thanx Diego :D

Really? That rare a build? Wasn't there a 1/72nd scale one a while back?

Well I'll give you extra nice "finished" pics with my new SLR :D

Really really nice

Everything really blends up well n the green tint looks lovely in realation to the Asian minor......camo ...always loved that scheme

Your build log is also first class....great photos n well explained

Rgds

Really really nice

Everything really blends up well n the green tint looks lovely in realation to the Asian minor......camo ...always loved that scheme

Your build log is also first class....great photos n well explained

Rgds

Thanx Mr B :D

Really kind of you :D