Reedoak, 3D printed modern US Navy deck crews

Hi

Reedoak just completed another deck-crew, this time a man carrying tie downs.

So far, figure is supplied without chains as on figure below :

32bf_zpsd0fky0pb.jpg

and here is how it looks with the 4 chains installed

32bh_zpsvfay4zrv.jpg

32bi_zpsbg0cznfw.jpg

32bg_zpsq2hgdyax.jpg

have a nice day

Norbert

Back in the day, a line rat carrying only 4 chains would have been called another name for a cat. Not sure about these days. Hell it's been almost 30 damn years since I worked the roof. Love the chains. What the hell is in his pocket though? We couldn't do that, FOD hazard and the deck apes would go spastic if they saw that. The padeyes look great, just be sure to put a bunch of nasty gunk in them!

You can add additional tie-downs as i did on this early picture, before I received my order of chains

Gloves are inside the pocket. I saw with surprise some pictures of these without gloves on hand.

32be_zpsrtmrvsrf.jpg

Good to find somebody who can tell me more here

Norbert

On 1/6/2017 at 7:47 AM, norbert said:

You can add additional tie-downs as i did on this early picture, before I received my order of chains

Gloves are inside the pocket. I saw with surprise some pictures of these without gloves on hand.

That looks damn good. I never had flight deck pants with huge pockets, I was an air wing (CVW-1/VF-33) roof rat in the pre-cami days. Before a boat det, we'd ride up to Langley AFB and pick up a crapload of the USAF green utility pants. They were dirt cheap and actually held up pretty well. Anything was better than dungarees!

• 3 weeks later...

No one makes chain that small in a Steel color?

I found some for 1/72, attached to a locket, but, it was Stainless Steel, then I went online and found a way to stain it. (yeah, jewelers know how to stain Stainless, lol)

But, I haven't found any Dull Steel colored chains yet. I don't want to paint the Copper chains I got in my Flightpath set, paint build up in the tiny wholes makes it look "funny."

2 hours ago, Rex said:

No one makes chain that small in a Steel color?

I found some for 1/72, attached to a locket, but, it was Stainless Steel, then I went online and found a way to stain it. (yeah, jewelers know how to stain Stainless, lol)

But, I haven't found any Dull Steel colored chains yet. I don't want to paint the Copper chains I got in my Flightpath set, paint build up in the tiny wholes makes it look "funny."

There's a product called black brass, or blue water, that achieve this finish. You simply deep the chain in it

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, plastic-stasher said:

Is it just me or is anyone else beginning to see the possibilities for a carrier deck diorama without the need for model aircraft?

Derek

totally agreed! it's really hard to pick a few for a diorama ... they are all beautiful how can you choose just only 3-4? :bandhead2:

On 25/02/2017 at 10:54 AM, plastic-stasher said:

Is it just me or is anyone else beginning to see the possibilities for a carrier deck diorama without the need for model aircraft?

Derek

That's hard to imagine...

48bl_zpsk8edgfmc.jpg

this is our french navy display we bring to exhibitions. But just with the two guys in the center, you can make a story

Norbert

• 2 weeks later...

HI

added a new deck crew to our range of 3D printed figures : lookig downward, carrying tie-downs, crosses arms

32bu_zpsxthxpgn3.jpg

32bt_zpsyugi0jyk.jpg

32bs_zpsngy7grlb.jpg

now you know why the sitted one is looking upwards

cheers

Norbert

Hi

Basicaly, it's how they look with the sprues

24bg_zpswhyp1plv.jpg

you remove them like other sprues, except a sprues cutter is highly recommanded (Xuron or Tamiya)

cheers

Norbert

Hi

We added a blackened brass chain version

In the picture, the chain in the foreground is just blackened, the one in 1/48 just behind got a powder for a more grey affect. We can imagine the use of different powders or drypaint for different effects

IMG_4397%202_zpshgyzp0ba.jpg

IMG_4398%202_zpsm86z08tu.jpg

cheers

Norbert