Are the old DML IS-2 1/35 kits any good?

Is anyone willing or able to respond to this question? What I am REALLY interested in, is ; If the turret is REALLY so asymmetric as in the DML model? or is it actually symmetrical and is wrong on the DML model? I have found drawings which show both.

Edited by Otto
  • 4 weeks later...

I am shocked that no one has replied to this post. I do have three of these kits and just bought two Zvezda kits. The Zvezda kits are not as nice but I think I like it better with the exception of the tracks. I did order some Eastern express and MSD individual link track sets. They have both the older identical and newer Split link versions. They are also under $5 a set unlike the Trumpeter thievery ones that will cost you 3-4x that much if you can even find them here in the US. I decided to build the Zvezda kits and use the DML/Dragon ones as parts for upgrades. I like the turret, gun and upper hull better on the Zvezda kit better for the detail. I also found that the road wheels on the Zvezda kit are only .5-scale inches larger than on the DML kits. This leads to tell me that the road wheels are not as under size on the DML kit as we were lead to believe. The second kit I build which will not be the "M" version will be the other way around. I will build the DML and use the Zvezda as the upgrade kit. Too bad it is such a hassle to post pictures on this site. I would have don e so of this build.

Hi,

I can answer the questions, I simply never think of ARC for armor.

The Dragon kits are nice. They have a problem with the tracks being so high as to interfere with the mudguards. Dragon fixed this under the Cyberhobby label but you can check it out yourself:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1260851533/Improving+DML's+JS+2M+%236018

The road wheels on the Dragon kit are over a mm too small, here are the dimensions:

DML 14,5mm, Tamiya 15mm, Parola ISU 550mm (15,7mm)

If using the better Zvezda road wheels, don't forget to add the bolts and grease nipples.

Zvezda and Dragon have different (and correct) versions of the commander's cupola. I wrote an in depth article for the AMPS Journal many years ago on detailing and correcting the Dragon kits.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

I found the road wheels to be only .33mm different in size between the Zvezda and DML kits. This would be a scale .5" that do not bother me at all. I read about the height of the lower chassis being wrong on the DML. I almost finished my Zvezda and am quite pleased with it.. The under-chassis detail is missing totally on that but that don't bother me because it will sit on a shelf. The older Tamiya kits not only had no detail but had holes for gears and so forth. I posted some pictures on a Czech modeling website that I like.

http://www.modelforu...hp?f=2&t=102545

The other thing I must fix on the kit are the front fenders. They are a bit two curved and come offal close to the tracks just in the front. I just ordered the SU-152 from Eastern Express which is the same kit but has individual track links instead of the rubber tracks of the Zvezda kit.. The only thing that I did not use from the Zvezda kit on this build is the barrel mantlet I used the DML on for that. If you take a look at the pictures I posted on the Czech site, the items which are gray are the DML parts all the green are Zvezda (not counting the gray automotive primer I use to fix the cast steel affect).

Edited by Otto
I found the road wheels to be only .33mm different in size between the Zvezda and DML kits. This would be a scale .5" that do not bother me at all. I read about the height of the lower chassis being wrong on the DML. I almost finished my Zvezda and am quite pleased with it.. The under-chassis detail is missing totally on that but that don't bother me because it will sit on a shelf. The older Tamiya kits not only had no detail but had holes for gears and so forth.

The small difference is because they are both wrong. I took measurements off the actual tank so my friend, Neil Stokes, could create accurate plans for his forthcoming IS book to be published by Air Connection. Being that it took so long, I offered these photos with measurements to a few companies and now Trumpeter is releasing the full IS family (they started with prototypes).

Most important is that you had fun.

The other thing I must fix on the kit are the front fenders. They are a bit two curved and come offal close to the tracks just in the front.

That is part of the hull height issue mentioned. Next time you build Russian armor, send me a PM so my reply won't be so late.

Regards,

I was looking at the Trumpi SU-152 which is the same chassis. Do you think that is any good and might be the basis for their IS/KV series?

I was looking at the Trumpi SU-152 which is the same chassis. Do you think that is any good and might be the basis for their IS/KV series?

Otto, the SU-152 chassis is not the same as it is based on the KV series. The ISU-122, ISU-122S, and ISU-152 are based on the IS-2 chassis. I do not know who provided information on their KV series but the kits are very good for the money (first series as later they restarted the KV series at a much higher price). I provided photos and measurements for the IS series.

Regards,

Even though I have two Maquete SU-152 kits on order from the Ukraine, it will be a couple of months before I see those. I took the plunge and bought one of the Trumpi kits. It cost me $35 including shipping. That's not too bad. If I have to I can always sell one or both of the Maquete kits on eBay. The Maquete kits also have individual track link tracks.Otherwise the rest of the kit is the Eastern Express kit. I paid $14ea for them and the track

Edited by Otto
I took the plunge and bought one of the Trumpi kits. It cost me $35 including shipping. That's not too bad.

Great price and I am sure you will enjoy it! Of course, it doesn't match the older one in price ($25USD list) when they came out. From the Ukraine (thanks to a post you made) I have several kits from ICM, Master Box, and MiniArt on the way. Mostly staff cars.

Regards,

I order about 75% of my modeling stuff from the Ukraine. You cant beat the price even with the shipping. The reason the Trumpeter is so expensive is because Stevens Intl. has exclusive on US import and he really marks it up. The cost is actually 20% of what the kits retail for here in the US. Same as Eduard being exclusive with MMD and Squadron taking a huge markup. I bought the Aussie Eight spit set from the Czech republic for what ended up being$62 including shipping.

Edited by Otto
I order about 75% of my modeling stuff from the Ukraine. You cant beat the price even with the shipping. The reason the Trumpeter is so expensive is because Stevens Intl. has exclusive on US import and he really marks it up.

Agree on all accounts except that both MMD and Stevens import Trumpeter to the US. I used to get Trumpeter from Asia until Wasan Plastics started holding back Asian distribution until the release was already in other parts of the World.

Regards,

I attempted to buy Eduard Overtrees from their website. If I went on sight anonymously, The price was one thing once I switched the price to $ and logged on, the price went up by 33%. So I never buy from Eduard even they send me almost daily  solicitations. I just buy from Hobbyshop.CZ and get the best possible prices on Eduard.

I attempted to buy Eduard Overtrees from their website. If I went on sight anonymously, The price was one thing once I switched the price to $ and logged on, the price went up by 33%. So I never buy from Eduard even they send me almost daily  solicitations. I just buy from Hobbyshop.CZ and get the best possible prices on Eduard.

Same with several online Asian shops.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Trumpeter SU-152 and it is unbelievable. It comes with metal barrel and muzzle, Photo etch, New updated road wheels and beautiful individual track links. Accurate or not, it is a beautiful model. I also got my new order from the Ukraine, with my MSD track links for the KV and SU and T-34/85 tanks plus bought some late spider wheels for the T-34/85. The SU-152 from MSD is a well updated Eastern express kit with individual track links and a couple of new trees. It is not AS Beautiful as the Trumpeter kit but for the $14.75 each (I bought 2) it is well worth it. I will compare the two.

Edited by Otto
Just got my Trumpeter SU-152 and it is unbelievable... The SU-152 from MSD is a well updated Eastern express kit with individual track links and a couple of new trees. ... I will compare the two.

Looking forward to it but I know Trumpeter will be on top.

Regards,

Unfortunately I realized that I screwed up. I wanted the ISU-152 and not the SU-152. Wat a blunder. Oh Well, I guess I have more to sell on eBay. Trumpeter included.

I'm looking at the Zvezda kit once again. I am quite satisfied with the IS-2 from them and it is less than one quarter the price of the Tamiya including the shipping. The DML kit will have the same lower hull mistakes as on the IS-2 kits and the upper hull on the Zvezda IS-2 I have is nicer than the DML kit anyway. The Zvezda kit is being sold for anywhere from $11-$16.50 and. the Tamiya kit starts at about $50. Plus the tracks on both are still the old stile rubber-band stile. Plus Zvezda also offers the ISU-122 which can be bought for about $10 and just replace the gun barrel. The only issue on the Zvezda kit is the lack of detail on the lower hull which can not be seen anyway even if the model is sitting on a mirror. There is also a slight lack of detail on the suspension components on the sides, but one, has to look very closely into the track assembly to notice.

Edited by Otto

I just ordered the Zvezda kit for $13.33 plus $8 shipping from Russia. I could have bought the ISU-122 for $11 but than I would have to cannibalize or buy a metal gun.

What is the best modeling site for armor? I lost my instructions for my DML ZSU-23 Shilka and need to find someone who has a set thy can PDF me.