For a group build, has anyone ever....

...done a modeling tribute group build?

I've been out of the hobby for some time now, and I am finally getting back into it. The thing that finally is bringing me back into a model kit after years away is that I am building a model for my dad, of the fighter jet that he used to work on in the Navy. Now, I dont know too much about group builds in here, but seems to me that this could be a very interesting GB topic. Every tribute build has a story to go along with it, and those stories are usually very interesting on their own. So it got me thinking, it would be pretty cool to see a GB with tribute builds, and hear the stories behind them. Has this been done before? I mean, think about it, we are almost done with losing the WWII generation completely, and their stories are for the most part going to disappear when they do. Something like this could keep their stories circulating better. Just a thought, anyways....was wondering if this had been done before or not. It would not even have to be restricted to one medium, could include planes, ships, armor, and so on. I'm not trying to start one, but just wanted to know, thanks.

It is a neat idea. Odds are most of us know someone , know of someone, or have a certain pilot the we have admired that we could/would build a model in their honor. My Grandfather served in 6 Group RCAF Bomber Command with 420 Snowy Owl Squadron during World War II. He talked a lot about the Halifax bombers they flew and later the Lancaster. I've never built a Halifax in 420 markings for whatever reasons. It would be an interesting GB.

:cheers: