Guys, my well meaning but slightly misguided wife has given me one of the Jasmine photo etch F6F-5 'kits' as a birthday present. She had seen me poring over a build of one over on Britmodeller and showing pictures of it to the kids and assumed that I would like one - without realising my utter fear of photo etch!

However, it was a present and I wouldn't want to disappoint her by not making it or giving it away, so I will try my best to make it, although I'm not confident of a very good result.

I intend to paint the structure in chromate primer, with cockpit green in the cockpit area and then paint the engine, visible and accessories in their representative colours - that's more traditional modelling where I feel I am on safer ground. Painting the photo etched structure may also allow me the chance to hide and screw-ups that I will almost inevitably make, plus using a scan of the frets may be able to replace any bits I destroy beyond recovery with sheet styrene replacements. I'm still very nervous about the whole thing though.

Looking at the included resin (not sure if it is, but suspect so) parts that depict the engine and so forth, they are fairly poor quality. The nose cowl is also cast in resin, but again has a lot of casting inclusions. I suspect that the parts from the Aires F6F detailing set, and maybe even the Eduard engine may be useable to improve these areas, however the undercarriage and nose cowl parts are not included in any of these sets. I don't know which kit Jasmine used to base the parts on, other than to say they are definitely not Eduard parts (compared it with the one in my stash). I don't know if any of you guys are able to confirm which one it is? If I can identify it I may try and get aftermarket bits for that kit to substitute the originals.

I would love to be confident enough to post a work in progress build, but alas I am really quite pessimistic about it due to all the photo etch. Still, I will give it a go and you never know, it may turn out half decent! In the meantime, any help and suggestions from you all would be warmly received

Cheers

Les

• 1 year later...