A few weeks into the GB, and no Japanese eagles? Not any more.

I'll be building the hasegawa kit, with all of its foibles, in the markings ID 303 squadron, from the 2007 Air Combat Meet. The checkers on the tail should make for an attractive model.

IMG_20160402_235118303_zpsezlzplw0.jpg

This is my second go at a Hasegawa eagle, the first one turned out sort of sloppy, but hopefully I've learned from my mistakes.

There was a fellow on ARC, who had this kit mastered; Arnold, or Arne?

If you are reading this, then your input along the way would be deeply appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Work begins, at last!

Lately I've been building models "backwards". I do all the final details bits first, and then do the main airframe. This because I have a tendency to rush near the end of a build, and as a result the fine details sometimes suffer.

So I begin with the gear legs. I dry fit them into the fuselage in order to properly set the actuators. I also added some copper wire break-lines. No nose-gear yet.

IMG_20160414_201842169_zpsfnk7gwcs.jpg

Also painted the exhaust petals. Outside is MM magnesium with a flat coat. The three small structures on each were then painted with Vallejo Natural Steel.

Inner surfaces are MM burnt metal drybrushed Vallejo highlights flesh.

IMG_20160414_201734411_zps9shqsl2s.jpg

I'm also working on the wings.

I packed the inner surface with sheet styrene to create a stronger joint and larger gluing surface. Otherwise the soft plastic on the wing tends to cave in, and makes fixing the seem very difficult.

IMG_20160417_195328436_zpsujeuqp7s.jpg

I have also removed the wing leading-edge lights and will replace with colored clear plastic.

Visible also.is one of the last of my true details seats. I picked up scores of these from a hobby shop in Bellingham, Washington back when I lived there. Have never seen any since.

Edited by RKic
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress. Took Brutus' advice and a test fit of top to bottom looks solid. Just some gap in the gun port, which will be a PITA to address :(

IMG_20160508_193403006_zpseaqyb6vt.jpg

I feel like I'm talking to myself here, but no matter, maybe somebody will find this useful in the future.

This shot shows a decent summary of trouble spots on the fuselage. The leading edge of the wing root area needed sanding, the junction of intake to fuselage piece nedded filling and sanding on the central side. The rear fuselage sides, by the tail planes needed A LOT of sanding, and a bit of filler. Some minor rescribing will be needed in all these areas.

IMG_20160512_224842115_HDR.jpg

I've also sprayed the gear legs white and given them a wash. A white drybrushing and detail painting will follow. Any ideas.on whether the break lines should be black or white??

IMG_20160512_224920864.jpg

Edited by RKic

The rear fuselage sides, by the tail planes needed A LOT of sanding, and a bit of filler.

This is my biggest worry whenever I sand this area on a kit. I once ruined a Hasegawa F-16 by oversanding the rear fuselage joint, and when I attached the tailplane there was a big honking gap towards the front and rear of the tailplane like a curve.

RKic,

Those fuselage points you had mentioned are the 'standard' pain building this kit, I have done a couple and it's the same.

What I would normally do is tape the left/right or bottom/top of the seam line gap and apply putty.

Thickness would be 'overflow' then level it back with acetone, after that is minor sanding to avoid especially the rear fuselage sides.

• 1 month later...

I've also sprayed the gear legs white and given them a wash. A white drybrushing and detail painting will follow. Any ideas.on whether the break lines should be black or white??

Hydraulic tubes are made of metal and normally not painted.