Any advice on Blogs/Blogging?

Any helpful tips? which is a good way to go? what does it cost etc?

pros cons?

I figure if an angsty teenage girl can do one, an angsty modeling man/boy can too :rofl:/>/>

Here's a link to one of the better breakdowns I've found:

My link

I'd recommend Wordpress based on my experience with it. I currently use the free plan which has been fine thus far. I only paid for the domain name which was around $20.

There are some nice free templates to choose from to get you started. It just takes some learning specifically with menus and that sort of thing, but there are plenty of tutorials online, etc.

I do plan to upgrade to the paid version some point this year mostly to increase my photo uploading space.

You can check mine out here if you like:

www.jimsmodels.com

I am using wordpress because of a class I am taking. I recommend it because you can really do a lot with it. I have some basic instructions to get started if you would want them...

It's a nice option for free.

The best advice I can offer is to find a niche for your blog. Ask yourself how it will differ from all the others out there on the web. There are a ton of modelers who have a blog these days with most of them describing their builds. That’s cool, and you can certainly do the same, but the most compelling blogs are those from modelers whose skills are above average. When I started my blog several years ago I accepted the fact that I’m simply an average modeler and that I have little to contribute to the hobby technique-wise, so that’s why my focus — my niche — is elsewhere.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Here's a link to one of the better breakdowns I've found:

My link

That is helpful thank you!

I'd recommend Wordpress based on my experience with it. I currently use the free plan which has been fine thus far. I only paid for the domain name which was around $20.

There are some nice free templates to choose from to get you started. It just takes some learning specifically with menus and that sort of thing, but there are plenty of tutorials online, etc.

I do plan to upgrade to the paid version some point this year mostly to increase my photo uploading space.

You can check mine out here if you like:

www.jimsmodels.com

Thank you!

I always assumed with some of your detailed and inspired posts here, blogging was your thing! :woot.gif:/>

That is very generous thank you

Also, I see what you mean Steven, I really need to think about this, and also my modeling skill level and how it all blends together... which points I want to emphasize over others. Hmmm

really appreciate all the input from everyone, I don't know when I will find the time but this is something I would like to do.

I maintain two blogs under my professional pen name.

One key to successful blogging, I've found, is to keep a very regular schedule, being consistent to post at the same time every day or week or month. (That is, if you decide to post twice a week on Monday and Thursday or twice a month on every other Sunday, stick to that schedule as best you can. If readers know when to expect a post, they will be much more likely to 'tune in' on a regular basis.) Conversely, the worst thing you can do--the fastest way to lose a potential audience--is to post at irregular intervals, when you feel like it, or get around to it. Your success relies on building up expectation in your audience and a sense of trust as well.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I maintain two blogs under my professional pen name.

One key to successful blogging, I've found, is to keep a very regular schedule, being consistent to post at the same time every day or week or month. (That is, if you decide to post twice a week on Monday and Thursday or twice a month on every other Sunday, stick to that schedule as best you can. If readers know when to expect a post, they will be much more likely to 'tune in' on a regular basis.) Conversely, the worst thing you can do--the fastest way to lose a potential audience--is to post at irregular intervals, when you feel like it, or get around to it. Your success relies on building up expectation in your audience and a sense of trust as well.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Good advice. I will need to be consistent. Should probably work out a schedule