1/48 Super Etendard Modernise - Done!

Hi John, feeling your pain about the troubles your having with this kit. I purchased the AMX last year was so looking forward to it but ran into similar types of problems when building and now it sits back in it's box. I spend more time reading threads like yours before laying down cash on kits.

Craig - don't get me wrong because I'll definitely finish it. I just get frustrated when a modern, CAD-designed kit has issues. This could have been a great kit if a model builder had been involved in the design stage - that nose gear poking out during the entire assembly process is just unforgivable. And rather than keep the page count low on the manual, it would have been great to have clearer instructions that were reviewed before printing along with an actual painting and marking sheet in color with everything keyed clearly. I think that is the only thing keeping Kinetic from becoming a top-notch company - it's obvious there are no model builders participating in the process. Very unfortunate.

John

• 1 month later...

Hey, John! :wave:

How are you hanging, as of late? I've been over on Britmodeller and thought I'd share Muzz's build with you, so as to see whether we can put you back on track with yours. ;)

Doubtless, it's kind of a "feisty" kit to build, but I guess some kits are just like that, despite they're new tooled kits and what not.

On the other hand, I was so caught up in both your and Muzz's build that I'm taking the plunge and ordering a kit for me.

Here's Muzz's 1/48 Kinetic SuE build thread

Click on it when you're good and ready to, mate. Hope to see you back on it soon.

Cheers, John! :cheers:

Thanks for the post mate - I've had a flurry of visitors the last month to Castle John so building has halted temporarily. I'm almost ready for primer on the SEM so I should have an update shortly.

John

Well I've gotten a bunch of work done on the SEM - the replacement canopy and windscreen fit like a charm. Once I installed the photoetched HUD and lenses I installed the windscreen. My original plan was for an open canopy, but due to issues created by my own ham-fisted abilities as well as the lack of harnesses for the seat I've closed the canopy. I've installed all of the little bits and bobs on the underside of the fuselage and now I've finally got a coat of primer on:

b102b686dfec649a9a0b03a42fd29590.jpg

Yep - I'm using black-basing for this one. I used the same process on my MiG-29 and it works like a charm. The first step is the black primer coat. In this case I've used Badger's Stynlrez black primer. It's definitely an acquired taste - you have to use a large(ish) needle on your airbrush, and recommended PSI is around 30. The nice part is that this stuff is self-leveling so you just spray away and everything will settle down as you go. This stuff has its' fans and its' haters. So far I am a fan, but I have had issues with their white primer which sprayed like poop. I will give it another try in the future. Also the black thing by the nose is my tweezers on the mat, not some weird attachment to the plane. Anyway, here's a closer shot of the plane:

adb101248bcb09f74863b8957ea88563.jpg

I'm going for folded wingtips, and according to the instructions, parked SEMs have their horizontal stabilizers pointed upwards. I don't know how accurate that is but I've gone ahead and done it. I've also gone with a light set of underwing stores:

b811ac321399e579ef11ad34303ef935.jpg

I'm using two drop tanks, a single Magic missile and a chaff dispenser. By the way, if you plan on using the centerline pylon, don't forget to cut the holes open for it. The instructions don't ever mention it at all. I had thought of using a refueling pod but that went out the window with everything sealed up. Ugh. So the next step is the marbling coat of medium gray, then a very thin overcoat of it, then masking. Once I have some real progress I will be back. Thanks for looking in.

John

Edited by jgrease

John -

Thanks for the kind words. I've applied the first coat of FS35237 to the underside, upper camo areas and the underwing stores. Next up will be some masking and gunship grey for the dark upper surface areas. Fingers crossed!

John

Progress is being made daily on this build now that I've got my mojo up and running. Here is today's state of play:

671b3b03118afbde6349603d26098d7c.jpg

When it comes to modern planes, black-basing is truly your friend! I was looking for a rather weather-beaten look for this build, and I've got just what I wanted. I've got everything painted except for the delicate parts I left off until the main painting and masking was done. Here's a photo of the nose, which I'm quite happy with:

925c49d9287824622ea22baf70c7bac1.jpg

Sorry for the focus issues - either the lighting or the angle was off so it just would not focus well, but you get the idea. Even the black nose has a weathered look to it, especially on the bottom. Here's a closer look at the starboard fuel tank and the Matra Magic 550:

c3ab329e871f42c3a374da17c9c1dd80.jpg

And finally the view from the tail - I did my best on the camouflage delineations, but I wasn't going to kill myself to get it perfect. I'm happy with the results on the camo.

e1d84e776b524944492ca7fca54313e4.jpg

Next step is touch-up and a gloss coat for decals and washes. Thanks for looking in.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my completed SEM:

13882186_10209773803682983_5174400623493251306_n.jpg

13932875_10209773804162995_1187447352970944808_n.jpg

13925269_10209773804563005_5302738743374828657_n.jpg

There are some things that certainly could have been done better, but it was a learning experience. I might do another one in the future as an older SuE. Thanks for the feedback guys. And good luck with your KH build Andy!

John

I think it's looking great too. I like the camo colors and the surface details are looking great. But its beauty might be even more visible with a few snapshots away from the workbench with a few more angles and close ups. Also, posting it in the Display Case may make a difference. Overall looks to be a fantastic finish.

Edited by Janissary