Boxtop_zpsc5wiae5x.jpg

First flown in 1949 it went through several major modifications mainly due to different radar installations but never achieved production status. This is the second, with the 'Korshun' radar. I wonder how many people have even heard of it.

Initial impressions were very favourable - nicely moulded without any flash. However building it is another thing. Almost nothing fits together without lots of scraping and sanding but I suppose that we must be glad that it even exists.

first you have to assemble the cockpit tub.

cockpit%20tub_zps41yv9pnn.jpg

Then you are supposed to assemble the intake, attach the cockpit tub and install this assembly into the fuselage. A quick tacking together of the parts showed that this was never going to work so the intake was assembled 'in situ', not an easy task, and then the cockpit tub fitted.

nose_zpsidnlqzgc.jpg

Next there are two nozzles to be assembled and fitted. This is made harder by them being wrongly labelled so they had to be reassembled correctly before fitting to the fuselage

Instruction%20errors_zpsz10v0vne.jpg

Ready%20to%20join_zps70herr9a.jpg

Fuselage halves were joined without too much trouble but some mismatch between the rear halves. Fitting the heatshield around the front engine nozzle required some trimming and fiddling.

Wings have been assembled. There are a couple of problems with this. To get a sharp TE the lower half has to fit inside the upper at the rear. This leaves a nasty gap in the control surfaces which has to be filled and means the edges have to be rescribed. The lower portion has to be thinned before it will fit. A similar problem occurs with the fin and tail surfaces.

Fuselage%20topside_zpsqzmgzps4.jpg

Underside%20assembled_zpsgfftem5k.jpg

Now assembled and wing fences added.

first%20prime_zpsyxsdqyey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had some trouble since the last report. It was pointed out that Avis had got the underwing tanks wrong so I had to prise them off and reshape the mountings. There was then some trouble with the main u/c legs - they are not strong enough. One guy got around this by using a clear plastic prop. I use some packing pieces to stiffen the mountings and it seems to have done the trick but you have to make sure the joint at the front of the trailing arm is very strong. It may have been possible to drill out the legs and put in a stiffening piece of wire or tube but I needed the model for a show so I decided not to risk it.

Packing%20pieces_zpswh4yred7.jpg

On%20wheels_zpszzrwtjiz.jpg