1/48 Hasegawa JASDF T-6G Texan

I join with the Hasegawa 1/48 boxing of the ubiquitous T-6 Texan. This is actually a Monogram kit that is boxed by Hasegawa. It contains instructions written completely in Japanese and included decals that allow you to build one of three versions. A USAF AT-6D, a Japenese SNJ-5/6 or a Japanese T-6G. I plan to do the later. I'm not sure where I picked this kit up but it's been in the stash for a number of years. I had added a second kit to the box and lopped off most of the parts from the sprues to make room for both kits.

Here is the kit in question including the instructions and decals.

IMG_0705_zpstfzaaxyn.jpg

Next up the obligatory shot of all the pieces parts in the kit. I had already glued the wings together but it's way less than 20% assembled so I'm pretty sure it still qualifies for this build.

IMG_0706_zpsymjwwdba.jpg

Finally a closeup of the instructions to show which version I plan to build.

IMG_0709_zpsypriqfsl.jpg

I really don't plan on anything special other than maybe adding some seatbelts to the bare seats and changing out the Japanese Hinomaru's with some from Aeromaster in my decal stash.

Stay tuned. I really hope I can get cracking on this one and have it done before the end of the build.

Don

• 1 month later...

So here is an update on what little progress I've made on my JASDF Texan. I used the MM Interior Green straight from the bottle but to me it seems a tad dark. Oh well, I plan to close up the canopies so you won't see much anyway.

IMG_0769_zpsh0wmrbmf.jpg

IMG_0768_zps9lmxyozp.jpg

IMG_0770_zps0t6giwei.jpg

IMG_0771_zpsr49azxzj.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm just inching along on this build. I have the main gear on since they were also painted trainer yellow with the rest of the plane. I painted the antiglare panel and ADF antenna black. I think I'll go back and paint the walkways black as well. Then I just need to mask all that off and shoot some primer white as an undercoat for the yellow.

IMG_0792_zpsqlkhu27k.jpg

Not the end of the world. Besides, back when we built these as kids, ALL we had was olive drab for the interior. Now if you really want interior green, just drybrush (or rather use a little more than drybrush) or lightly airbrush on some interior green on areas that will be seen easily under the bird cage so on the recesses it will just look like a wash. In the shadow areas, the color difference won't be as noticeable and it will just look like the same color in shade.

Not the end of the world. Besides, back when we built these as kids, ALL we had was olive drab for the interior. Now if you really want interior green, just drybrush (or rather use a little more than drybrush) or lightly airbrush on some interior green on areas that will be seen easily under the bird cage so on the recesses it will just look like a wash. In the shadow areas, the color difference won't be as noticeable and it will just look like the same color in shade.

That's a great idea Jay. I'll give it a shot. Should work out great.

Thanks Martin. You're T-Bird is looking good too.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 1 month later...

Testors MM Insignia Yellow should do the job fine. Now if you are airbrushing and don't want to have to spray a lot of yellow, primer it in a white shade (or give it a base white color) so you don't have to spray layers and layers to cover up the gray plastic.