Guys....like the title says. Who makes the best 1/48 F-111 KIT? I don't really care what version. IE....FB-111....F-111A,B,C...etc. I'm especially interested in the best decal sheet. Or even the best after-market decal sheet.

Thanks,

Paul

You really only have two choices in 1/48, Academy and Hobby Boss. There is also the Zhendogfood kit, which is really a so-so copy of the Academy kit (reboxed by Hobbycraft with better decals) and Italeri who reboxed the Academy kit, but also with better decals (but didn't include some of the parts updates found in the newer F-111C). Monogram's F-111 is best ignored since it was a slightly retooled Aurora kit and wasn't that great even when it was new.

Academy to me captured the shape a bit better, although Hobby Boss dealt with some of the details a little better (such as the Pavetack pod which Academy didn't provide until recently). The Academy kit also has some fit issues due to how it was designed, but they are well understood with fixes. Biggest thing to keep in mind about the Academy kit is except for the most recent F-111C issue, it is a relatively clean airframe. You don't get the ability in the kit to display it with the canopy open, the bomb bay open or lots of stuff hanging off of it. Hobby Boss will do that better, but it has a weird canopy nose shape issue that had modelers scratching their heads. Aftermarket bits have been done for both kits.

Now if you go for one Academy offering, get the most recent pressing of the F-111C as it includes some very nice updates to the basic tooling and a great decal sheet. Found an in box review at Cybermodeler here:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12220.shtml

Edited by Jay Chladek

I pretty much agree with Jay on this one which is why I will always go with the Academy kit. The Hobbyboss kit may have a lot more details but not much of it is accurate anyway. Im not saying the Academy kit is that accurate either but at least it resembles an F-111. The canopy and how the area directly in front of it is too steep on the HB kit. Apparently Tanmodel is going to give us a 1/32 model down the track but personally I would prefer a better 1/48 kit.

I agree with everything said above. While the Hobby Boss kit attempted a PAVE Tack pod, it was a poor attempt. The scab on one provided in the new Academy F-111C kit is infinitely more accurate, although it suffers from just being a scab on. The Hobby Boss kit just irritates me to no end--sloppy research and poorly executed.

I can find something to complain about with nearly every part in both the Academy and Hobby Boss kits, but the honor of 'least bad' 1:48 kit has to go to the updated Academy F-111C.

Edited by mrvark

Nice bit of info here:

http://www.f-111.net/models/kit_reviews.htm

Not much else that I can add that hasn't already been written above. It's all good stuff :thumbsup: .

Some various boxings in different scales over the years:

http://www.f-111.net/models/model_kits.htm

FWIW, if you aren't completely set on 1/48, the Hasegawa 1/72 F-111's and EF-111's are fantastic kits! I've built a few and despite being a bit quirky here and there are...IMHO...among the best F-111's made. They go in and out of production now and again but shouldn't be too difficult to find.

:cheers:

Don't forget all the nice aftermarket from Scaledown, located in Australia. The 1/48th kits can be enhanced with Scaledown parts.

Also, I agree completely that the absolute best F-111 kits are the 1/72nd Hasegawa kits; too bad Hasegawa doesn't scale-up these molds and make us all happy.

Don't forget all the nice aftermarket from Scaledown, located in Australia. The 1/48th kits can be enhanced with Scaledown parts.

Also, I agree completely that the absolute best F-111 kits are the 1/72nd Hasegawa kits; too bad Hasegawa doesn't scale-up these molds and make us all happy.

Too bad that Hasegawa doesn't re-issue them in 1/72 for that matter! They're extremely hard to come by

Too bad that Hasegawa doesn't re-issue them in 1/72 for that matter! They're extremely hard to come by

Ain't that the truth and they are an excellent alternative to the bigger kits, especially if you plan to display the wing fully extended with the flaps and slats (plus wing gloves) fully deployed. I believe the Hasegawa kit is the only one that has that as an option without having to resort to aftermarket resin. For modelers with display space issues, this one is a nice option even if like most Hasegawa kits, it can be a little fiddly in spots. But show me an F-111 kit in any scale that isn't as all seem to have their issues.

A good alternative for not as much in 1/72 is the Esci/AMT/Italeri kit. Granted Esci could be hit and miss with their 1/48 subjects, but in 1/72 they did some nice offerings which still hold up today and this is one of them. I believe it was designed in the mid-1980s and it shows. It has recessed panels and generally good detail for its scale. Granted the wing can't be opened up, but the kit does give you an open cockpit option (Hasegawa doesn't even give you that).

The main two offerings Italeri has done are the F-111A (Combat Lancer markings) and the EF-111. I understand the EF-111 has some fit issues, but they shouldn't be that bad. The BEST one of all the Esci based ones to get if you can find it is the 1993 vintage AMT/Ertl F-111F kit. In addition to the core F-111A parts, you also get the E/F intakes, the GBU-28 bunker buster and the Pave Tack pod. Plus, my sealed example included a full set of EF-111 parts, which I can potentially use on an F-111A kit later. The decal sheet is also pretty good as unlike other AMT/Ertl kits with notoriously thick decals, this one includes the super thin Scalemaster decals. I'm just waiting for the proper time to build mine.

That old term "kit bashing" comes to mind...buy both and sacrifice them to get one good kit. Ya get the best of both...I for one am dismayed with the Academy MLG bay, for starters and I'll leave it there...Mr. Vark can lay it out much better and more accurately than I can.

This thread has resparked my desire to make 1/48 F-111. So I just pulled the trigger on some Scaledown wings and Dmold intakes. And now since I just forked over $140AUD somebody's probably going to announce a new tool F-111 family... :doh:

This thread has resparked my desire to make 1/48 F-111. So I just pulled the trigger on some Scaledown wings and Dmold intakes. And now since I just forked over $140AUD somebody's probably going to announce a new tool F-111 family... doh.gif

Youre about half way there to getting it half way accurate, not far to go now ;)

pminer it depends on what you are wanting, do you want an accurate model or a good looking model OOB?

Lots of Money, Time, effort. Built an -E & FB. I will build one more but bash the HobbyBoss & Italeri together.

John

Scaledown Wheelbay

IMG_5052.jpg

Scratchbuilt Wheelbay

IMG_2130.jpg

D-Mold Intakes & Scratchbuilt Wheelbay

IMG_2126.jpg

Paragon Slats & Flaps

IMG_2415.jpg

Hobbyboss is the best looking OOB.,

Academy can be made into the most accurate if you spend £200-300 on resin, brass and decals.

But Ive yet to see a totally accurate F-111 model.

Hobbyboss canopy is horrid and ruins the entire look of the kit.

If you have a Zengdenfu kit cut the ejection module and fit the Academy or Vacuum formed canopy. Cut the ejection crew module from the HobbyBoss kit and fit the new module in. Use a resin cockpit set and your modeling skills. An Academy crew module would work too but I got the Zeng kit for free.

John

IMG_6849_zpsysrvdwzc.jpg

IMG_6850_zpsgsjitjyl.jpg